FIC PA-2013 v1.1... Which AGP cards?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I just bought one of these mainboards to use in a DOS legacy
system. I read how the wrong AGP card will burn this board out. Does
anyone know what AGP card will work with this system?
Also, does anyone know if this board will support a Pentium
100Mhz CPU. I need the slowest for this board to run old DOS programs
that have problems with fast CPUs.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I believe you will be safe with a 16meg or lower memory vid card.
YMMV, no warranties, blah blah blah.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
| I just bought one of these mainboards to use in a DOS legacy
| system. I read how the wrong AGP card will burn this board out. Does
| anyone know what AGP card will work with this system?
| Also, does anyone know if this board will support a Pentium
| 100Mhz CPU. I need the slowest for this board to run old DOS
programs
| that have problems with fast CPUs.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Heh, it just occurred to me, what you need is a k6+ CPU and the you
could use k6speed or k6dos to control your CPU speed (i.e., drop
multiplier down low). If you setup an fsb of 66 MHz, you could run as
slow as 120 Mhz, yet still have 360 Mhz speed available with the 6x
setting. Further, with a little trickery, if your old box has a
"turbo" switch, you can use that switch (maybe) to change FSB settings
externally between a lower and a higher FSB (all depends on the jumper
setups).

To get k6speed and k6dos see the downloads section at www.k6plus.com
or post an email addy and I'll zip the stuff up and send it to you.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message
| I just bought one of these mainboards to use in a DOS legacy
| system. I read how the wrong AGP card will burn this board out. Does
| anyone know what AGP card will work with this system?
| Also, does anyone know if this board will support a Pentium
| 100Mhz CPU. I need the slowest for this board to run old DOS
programs
| that have problems with fast CPUs.

Broken

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

"Larry Roberts" <skin-e@juno.com> wrote in message news:i6m1n012i7akhpg4ofae66rpd3gprj58bu@4ax.com...
> I just bought one of these mainboards to use in a DOS legacy
> system. I read how the wrong AGP card will burn this board out. Does
> anyone know what AGP card will work with this system?
> Also, does anyone know if this board will support a Pentium
> 100Mhz CPU. I need the slowest for this board to run old DOS programs
> that have problems with fast CPUs.
I have a S3 Inc Savage4 which has been in use since 1998/9,
if that is any help to you running W98SE.

---

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

In article <i6m1n012i7akhpg4ofae66rpd3gprj58bu@4ax.com>, Larry Roberts
<skin-e@juno.com> writes
> I just bought one of these mainboards to use in a DOS legacy
>system. I read how the wrong AGP card will burn this board out. Does
>anyone know what AGP card will work with this system?

I used an ATI RagePro 8MB AGPx2 with very satisfactory results, for
years on my 503+
> Also, does anyone know if this board will support a Pentium
>100Mhz CPU. I need the slowest for this board to run old DOS programs
>that have problems with fast CPUs.

I have heard of programmes which will cripple a modern CPU so that it
will do what you need. One I have tried is CPUKiller, trialware.
The only thing was that it ran under Windows for games played in a DOS
box. Can't recall any more ...
It may be that a Google search will produce a DOS version of similar.

Sorry I can't help more - Good luck
--
Roger Hunt

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:04:38 +0100, Roger Hunt
<test@carewg.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <i6m1n012i7akhpg4ofae66rpd3gprj58bu@4ax.com>, Larry Roberts
><skin-e@juno.com> writes
>> I just bought one of these mainboards to use in a DOS legacy
>>system. I read how the wrong AGP card will burn this board out. Does
>>anyone know what AGP card will work with this system?
>
>I used an ATI RagePro 8MB AGPx2 with very satisfactory results, for
>years on my 503+
>> Also, does anyone know if this board will support a Pentium
>>100Mhz CPU. I need the slowest for this board to run old DOS programs
>>that have problems with fast CPUs.
>
>I have heard of programmes which will cripple a modern CPU so that it
>will do what you need. One I have tried is CPUKiller, trialware.
>The only thing was that it ran under Windows for games played in a DOS
>box. Can't recall any more ...
>It may be that a Google search will produce a DOS version of similar.
>
>Sorry I can't help more - Good luck

I've tried CPUKiller, and other DOS based slowdown utilities,
but none of them work like a true 486/early pentium CPU with games.
Games like Epic Pinball, and Jazz Jackrabbit run choppy with these
slowdown programs. It's like you can never get the right speed set.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:12:58 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Heh, it just occurred to me, what you need is a k6+ CPU and the you
>could use k6speed or k6dos to control your CPU speed (i.e., drop
>multiplier down low). If you setup an fsb of 66 MHz, you could run as
>slow as 120 Mhz, yet still have 360 Mhz speed available with the 6x
>setting. Further, with a little trickery, if your old box has a
>"turbo" switch, you can use that switch (maybe) to change FSB settings
>externally between a lower and a higher FSB (all depends on the jumper
>setups).
>
>To get k6speed and k6dos see the downloads section at www.k6plus.com
>or post an email addy and I'll zip the stuff up and send it to you.

The board came with a K6-2 450Mhz, but can only support it at
400Mhz. I also have a Pentium 233Mhz MMX, as well as a Pentium 100Mhz.
Alot of the older DOS games that I want to run on this box played fine
on a Pentium 100Mhz, but gave a integer divide by 0 error on the
233Mhz MMX.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

The compatiblity report shows that the 1.1 board will support a Pentium 100
at a multiplier of 1.5 and fsb of 66 MHz. You can download the document
here:
http://www.fic.com.tw/support/download.aspx?dl=motherboard%2fmisc%2fcompatibility%2fsocket7%2fPA-2013%2fpa201311c.zip&title=pa201311c.zip&info=compatibility

It is also listed in the manual available here:
http://www.fic.com.tw/support/download.aspx?dl=motherboard%2fmanual%2fsocket7%2fpa-2013%2fPA-2013A0Fu.zip&title=PA-2013A0Fu.zip&info=manual

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:12:58 -0500, "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> >Heh, it just occurred to me, what you need is a k6+ CPU and the you
> >could use k6speed or k6dos to control your CPU speed (i.e., drop
> >multiplier down low). If you setup an fsb of 66 MHz, you could run as
> >slow as 120 Mhz, yet still have 360 Mhz speed available with the 6x
> >setting. Further, with a little trickery, if your old box has a
> >"turbo" switch, you can use that switch (maybe) to change FSB settings
> >externally between a lower and a higher FSB (all depends on the jumper
> >setups).
> >
> >To get k6speed and k6dos see the downloads section at www.k6plus.com
> >or post an email addy and I'll zip the stuff up and send it to you.
>
> The board came with a K6-2 450Mhz, but can only support it at
> 400Mhz. I also have a Pentium 233Mhz MMX, as well as a Pentium 100Mhz.
> Alot of the older DOS games that I want to run on this box played fine
> on a Pentium 100Mhz, but gave a integer divide by 0 error on the
> 233Mhz MMX.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

For whatever it is worth, I did manage to get an old Pentium 133 to run
on an FIC VA-503+. I had to do it out of necessity. A friend's CPU had
burnt out, and I needed something to tide her over until I could get to
the shop.

For the Pentium 133, I set both the Vcore and Vio to 3.3V. The CPU
multiplier was set to 2x, and the bus frequency was set to 66 MHz. I
imagine that you would use the same settings, but with a mulitplier of
1.5x. Check the S-spec on your CPU and look it up at
http://processorfinder.intel.com .

I imagine it should work for you. Good luck!

--Alex

Larry Roberts wrote:
> I just bought one of these mainboards to use in a DOS legacy
> system. I read how the wrong AGP card will burn this board out. Does
> anyone know what AGP card will work with this system?
> Also, does anyone know if this board will support a Pentium
> 100Mhz CPU. I need the slowest for this board to run old DOS programs
> that have problems with fast CPUs.

TRENDING THREADS