DVD/CDRW combo wont play DVDs

My Toshiba Satellite A10 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Panasonic matshita ujda750)
has been working well for just under a year now. However since installing xp
sp 2 , MediaPlayer 10, and updates to Nero 6 and Nero InCD I am unable to
play any DVDs. Playing VCDs , Audio CDs and CD burning using Nero are fine
........but no DVD. I use Power DVD 5 and/or Windows Mediaplayer .
The drive just will not display any content of the DVD no files no nothing.
Also there are no error msgs. Driver files as indicated in device manager
show all to be xp sp2 updates. DVDs will also not play using media player.
Have tried DVDs from different regions and those that are region free to no
avail.

Have carried out the following trouble shooting.
1.Rolled back MPlayer 10 to MPlayer 9
2.Rolled back MPlayer format runtime to previous version.
3.Uninstalled Nero InCD.
4 Have tried to use system restore using restore points prior to SP2 and at
a know good condition but restore incomplete msg comes up... unable to
restore to any prior date !!!! Have also tried system restore in safe mode
...... still unable to restore.
5 Have carried out the troubleshooting as stated on the Cyberlink website
upto uninstall and reinstall PwrDVD still no good.
6 Uninstalled xp hotfixes downloaded from windows update on 19oct2004.

Deatils of my notebook are
Toshiba Sattelite A10
Win xp professional SP2
Power DVD 5 with latest patch
Nero 6
Lavasoft Adaware SE professional
Norton AntiVirus and Norton Sys Works2003 all uptodate

Would appreciate any help in sorting this condition. Is this a hardware
problem or a software glitch ???
Regards
Ash
8 answers Last reply
More about cdrw combo wont play dvds

    Tried this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

    Also, don't forget that you need to have a DVD Decoder installed in
    order to play a DVD movie. You may want to try a different DVD Software
    just to test it out.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Ash wrote:
    > My Toshiba Satellite A10 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Panasonic matshita ujda750)
    > has been working well for just under a year now. However since installing xp
    > sp 2 , MediaPlayer 10, and updates to Nero 6 and Nero InCD I am unable to
    > play any DVDs. Playing VCDs , Audio CDs and CD burning using Nero are fine
    > .......but no DVD. I use Power DVD 5 and/or Windows Mediaplayer .
    > The drive just will not display any content of the DVD no files no nothing.
    > Also there are no error msgs. Driver files as indicated in device manager
    > show all to be xp sp2 updates. DVDs will also not play using media player.
    > Have tried DVDs from different regions and those that are region free to no
    > avail.
    >
    > Have carried out the following trouble shooting.
    > 1.Rolled back MPlayer 10 to MPlayer 9
    > 2.Rolled back MPlayer format runtime to previous version.
    > 3.Uninstalled Nero InCD.
    > 4 Have tried to use system restore using restore points prior to SP2 and at
    > a know good condition but restore incomplete msg comes up... unable to
    > restore to any prior date !!!! Have also tried system restore in safe mode
    > ..... still unable to restore.
    > 5 Have carried out the troubleshooting as stated on the Cyberlink website
    > upto uninstall and reinstall PwrDVD still no good.
    > 6 Uninstalled xp hotfixes downloaded from windows update on 19oct2004.
    >
    > Deatils of my notebook are
    > Toshiba Sattelite A10
    > Win xp professional SP2
    > Power DVD 5 with latest patch
    > Nero 6
    > Lavasoft Adaware SE professional
    > Norton AntiVirus and Norton Sys Works2003 all uptodate
    >

    > Would appreciate any help in sorting this condition. Is this a hardware
    > problem or a software glitch ???
    > Regards
    > Ash

    I am having the same problem as you are, I have a sharp and the same
    dvd/cdrw combo and after installing sp2 my it won't play dvd's. If you
    find the answer please let me know. I will post a follow up if I
    figure out the problem.

    "Ash" <ashlee@vsnl.com> wrote in message news:<uvPbcPltEHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
    > My Toshiba Satellite A10 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Panasonic matshita ujda750)
    > has been working well for just under a year now. However since installing xp
    > sp 2 , MediaPlayer 10, and updates to Nero 6 and Nero InCD I am unable to
    > play any DVDs. Playing VCDs , Audio CDs and CD burning using Nero are fine
    > .......but no DVD. I use Power DVD 5 and/or Windows Mediaplayer .
    > The drive just will not display any content of the DVD no files no nothing.
    > Also there are no error msgs. Driver files as indicated in device manager
    > show all to be xp sp2 updates. DVDs will also not play using media player.
    > Have tried DVDs from different regions and those that are region free to no
    > avail.
    >
    > Have carried out the following trouble shooting.
    > 1.Rolled back MPlayer 10 to MPlayer 9
    > 2.Rolled back MPlayer format runtime to previous version.
    > 3.Uninstalled Nero InCD.
    > 4 Have tried to use system restore using restore points prior to SP2 and at
    > a know good condition but restore incomplete msg comes up... unable to
    > restore to any prior date !!!! Have also tried system restore in safe mode
    > ..... still unable to restore.
    > 5 Have carried out the troubleshooting as stated on the Cyberlink website
    > upto uninstall and reinstall PwrDVD still no good.
    > 6 Uninstalled xp hotfixes downloaded from windows update on 19oct2004.
    >
    > Deatils of my notebook are
    > Toshiba Sattelite A10
    > Win xp professional SP2
    > Power DVD 5 with latest patch
    > Nero 6
    > Lavasoft Adaware SE professional
    > Norton AntiVirus and Norton Sys Works2003 all uptodate
    >

    > Would appreciate any help in sorting this condition. Is this a hardware
    > problem or a software glitch ???
    > Regards
    > Ash

    I made a similar post on this a few weeks ago.
    I had the exact same problem. However I had no proof that it was
    a sp2 problem because prior to the upgrade I could not recall
    having used my drive for DVD's. I have a samsung combo DVD/CD-RW drive
    the CD-RW worked but not the DVD

    Anyway I tried all the software solutions below but none of them worked
    Since I have a triple boot system I tried the DVD in win98 and it did not
    work
    either. I also tried another DVD drive and it worked in my PC.
    Therefore I determined that it was likely a hardware related problem.
    My drive was still under the manufacturers standard 1 year warranty, so I
    contacted samsung.
    They adviced me to return the drive for repair and so I did.
    One week later I received a new drive from Samsung, and it worked perfectly.
    There were no explanation
    but since I got a new drive rather than my old one. I believe it same to
    assume that I was definately a
    hardware related problem.

    So if I were you I would try to determine wether it is truly a software
    problem
    or your drives manufacturer problem. To do that you can

    Try the drive in another computer, maybe a friend, relative or anyone
    willing willing to have you open up their system.
    ( For the laptop, that may not be possible so I beleive it is same to assume
    that it is a hardware
    problem since you have tried all those other solutions. In that case I would
    proceed to the return/replacement process)

    If the problem persist then it is likely a hardware problem. You said that
    it woked for over a year. If the drive came with your computer and your
    parts & labor warranty is not
    expired then they should replace or repair it.

    If you brought the drive separately from the computer then
    you may be out of luck and would have to replace the drive yourself
    since the standard manufacturers warrantly if often only for 1 year.

    Good luck.

    Zimran

    "joel gomez" <jvgomez@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am having the same problem as you are, I have a sharp and the same
    > dvd/cdrw combo and after installing sp2 my it won't play dvd's. If you
    > find the answer please let me know. I will post a follow up if I
    > figure out the problem.
    >
    > "Ash" <ashlee@vsnl.com> wrote in message
    >> My Toshiba Satellite A10 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Panasonic matshita
    >> ujda750)
    >> has been working well for just under a year now. However since installing
    >> xp
    >> sp 2 , MediaPlayer 10, and updates to Nero 6 and Nero InCD I am unable to
    >> play any DVDs. Playing VCDs , Audio CDs and CD burning using Nero are
    >> fine
    >> .......but no DVD. I use Power DVD 5 and/or Windows Mediaplayer .
    >> The drive just will not display any content of the DVD no files no
    >> nothing.
    >> Also there are no error msgs. Driver files as indicated in device manager
    >> show all to be xp sp2 updates. DVDs will also not play using media
    >> player.
    >> Have tried DVDs from different regions and those that are region free to
    >> no
    >> avail.
    >>
    >> Have carried out the following trouble shooting.
    >> 1.Rolled back MPlayer 10 to MPlayer 9
    >> 2.Rolled back MPlayer format runtime to previous version.
    >> 3.Uninstalled Nero InCD.
    >> 4 Have tried to use system restore using restore points prior to SP2 and
    >> at
    >> a know good condition but restore incomplete msg comes up... unable to
    >> restore to any prior date !!!! Have also tried system restore in safe
    >> mode
    >> ..... still unable to restore.
    >> 5 Have carried out the troubleshooting as stated on the Cyberlink website
    >> upto uninstall and reinstall PwrDVD still no good.
    >> 6 Uninstalled xp hotfixes downloaded from windows update on 19oct2004.
    >>
    >> Deatils of my notebook are
    >> Toshiba Sattelite A10
    >> Win xp professional SP2
    >> Power DVD 5 with latest patch
    >> Nero 6
    >> Lavasoft Adaware SE professional
    >> Norton AntiVirus and Norton Sys Works2003 all uptodate
    >>

    >> Would appreciate any help in sorting this condition. Is this a hardware
    >> problem or a software glitch ???
    >> Regards
    >> Ash

    I've searched this subject relentlessly and keep coming to the same
    conclusion...
    "After installing SP2 my combo drive no longer recognizes DVDs!!!"

    We've all tried the same things...system restore, uninstall and reinstall
    drivers, uninstall device, remove and reinstall programs, blah, blah, blah...

    I think it's safe to say this is NOT a hardware issue. We need a fix from
    Microsoft.

    FYI mine is a Dell Latitude with a Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo that came with
    the system. Running XP-Pro.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    "Ash" wrote:

    > My Toshiba Satellite A10 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Panasonic matshita ujda750)
    > has been working well for just under a year now. However since installing xp
    > sp 2 , MediaPlayer 10, and updates to Nero 6 and Nero InCD I am unable to
    > play any DVDs. Playing VCDs , Audio CDs and CD burning using Nero are fine
    > ........but no DVD. I use Power DVD 5 and/or Windows Mediaplayer .
    > The drive just will not display any content of the DVD no files no nothing.
    > Also there are no error msgs. Driver files as indicated in device manager
    > show all to be xp sp2 updates. DVDs will also not play using media player.
    > Have tried DVDs from different regions and those that are region free to no
    > avail.
    >
    > Have carried out the following trouble shooting.
    > 1.Rolled back MPlayer 10 to MPlayer 9
    > 2.Rolled back MPlayer format runtime to previous version.
    > 3.Uninstalled Nero InCD.
    > 4 Have tried to use system restore using restore points prior to SP2 and at
    > a know good condition but restore incomplete msg comes up... unable to
    > restore to any prior date !!!! Have also tried system restore in safe mode
    > ...... still unable to restore.
    > 5 Have carried out the troubleshooting as stated on the Cyberlink website
    > upto uninstall and reinstall PwrDVD still no good.
    > 6 Uninstalled xp hotfixes downloaded from windows update on 19oct2004.
    >
    > Deatils of my notebook are
    > Toshiba Sattelite A10
    > Win xp professional SP2
    > Power DVD 5 with latest patch
    > Nero 6
    > Lavasoft Adaware SE professional
    > Norton AntiVirus and Norton Sys Works2003 all uptodate
    >

    > Would appreciate any help in sorting this condition. Is this a hardware
    > problem or a software glitch ???
    > Regards
    > Ash

    If you uninstall SP2, does the drive now function correctly?
    www.coribright.com

    "SM" <SM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've searched this subject relentlessly and keep coming to the same
    > conclusion...
    > "After installing SP2 my combo drive no longer recognizes DVDs!!!"
    >
    > We've all tried the same things...system restore, uninstall and reinstall
    > drivers, uninstall device, remove and reinstall programs, blah, blah,
    > blah...
    >
    > I think it's safe to say this is NOT a hardware issue. We need a fix from
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > FYI mine is a Dell Latitude with a Samsung DVD/CD-RW Combo that came with
    > the system. Running XP-Pro.
    >
    > HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    >
    > "Ash" wrote:
    >
    >> My Toshiba Satellite A10 DVD/CDRW combo drive (Panasonic matshita
    >> ujda750)
    >> has been working well for just under a year now. However since installing
    >> xp
    >> sp 2 , MediaPlayer 10, and updates to Nero 6 and Nero InCD I am unable to
    >> play any DVDs. Playing VCDs , Audio CDs and CD burning using Nero are
    >> fine
    >> ........but no DVD. I use Power DVD 5 and/or Windows Mediaplayer .
    >> The drive just will not display any content of the DVD no files no
    >> nothing.
    >> Also there are no error msgs. Driver files as indicated in device manager
    >> show all to be xp sp2 updates. DVDs will also not play using media
    >> player.
    >> Have tried DVDs from different regions and those that are region free to
    >> no
    >> avail.
    >>
    >> Have carried out the following trouble shooting.
    >> 1.Rolled back MPlayer 10 to MPlayer 9
    >> 2.Rolled back MPlayer format runtime to previous version.
    >> 3.Uninstalled Nero InCD.
    >> 4 Have tried to use system restore using restore points prior to SP2 and
    >> at
    >> a know good condition but restore incomplete msg comes up... unable to
    >> restore to any prior date !!!! Have also tried system restore in safe
    >> mode
    >> ...... still unable to restore.
    >> 5 Have carried out the troubleshooting as stated on the Cyberlink website
    >> upto uninstall and reinstall PwrDVD still no good.
    >> 6 Uninstalled xp hotfixes downloaded from windows update on 19oct2004.
    >>
    >> Deatils of my notebook are
    >> Toshiba Sattelite A10
    >> Win xp professional SP2
    >> Power DVD 5 with latest patch
    >> Nero 6
    >> Lavasoft Adaware SE professional
    >> Norton AntiVirus and Norton Sys Works2003 all uptodate
    >>

    >> Would appreciate any help in sorting this condition. Is this a hardware
    >> problem or a software glitch ???
    >> Regards
    >> Ash

    I have a Dell Lattitude w/ a Samsung cd drive as well. I bought it
    yesterday. The operating system was not originally installed on the pc. The
    cd drive worked long enough to install the operating system/ Windows XP Pro.
    Now the drive won't acknowledge or read anything I put in it.

    I am coming to you guys for help on this issue. I have noticed some postings
    regarding this and am trying to come up with the conclusion. I noticed
    SvcPk2 was mentioned. Has anyone found a fixer for this problem? Also does
    Microsoft monitor these sites? Or will we have to contact them directly and
    tell them our problem with this?

    Thanks in Advance,
    --
    MERANDA BASSHAM

    Try the registry setting from the MS site(though your issue is a bit
    different than what described on MS site):

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

    Let us know if this helps. Though these newgroups are monitored by MS, you
    can contact them for additional support.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=gp;[ln];cntactms&style=home

    "MERANDA" <FairyPrncss26@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell Lattitude w/ a Samsung cd drive as well. I bought it
    >yesterday. The operating system was not originally installed on the pc. The
    >cd drive worked long enough to install the operating system/ Windows XP
    >Pro. Now the drive won't acknowledge or read anything I put in it.
    >
    > I am coming to you guys for help on this issue. I have noticed some
    > postings regarding this and am trying to come up with the conclusion. I
    > noticed SvcPk2 was mentioned. Has anyone found a fixer for this problem?
    > Also does Microsoft monitor these sites? Or will we have to contact them
    > directly and tell them our problem with this?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    > --
    > MERANDA BASSHAM

    I am so sorry. That was weird, my reply just sent itself, lol. I am still
    trying to get use to this touchy laptop! Anywho.... I am contacting MS and
    will let you all know what happens, Thanks again!

    --
    MERANDA BASSHAM

DVD Nero Windows XP