Hub or Router

This is relation to a previously asked question.

Am going out to buy a Wireless Access Point tomorrow to enable a WI FI PDA
to talk to my existing RJ 45 and hub network. I've been told this connects
to my hub, and then if I then put a wireless PCMCIA card into my laptop that
that will also work. But two posts have told me to get a wireless router and
to forget about my existing hub, is there a reason for this.
What are the benifits of a router over a hub, is it that the hub just won't
work or does the router do a better job of it.
I have to keep the wired network.

> What are the benifits of a router over a hub

A Wireless Router usually has more features than a Wireless Access Point.

The Linksys Wireless Routers usually have a Firewall and DHCP Server. They
do NAT and can usually handle a VPN as well. Be aware that on these, the
built-in hub is on the same "side" of the router as the wireless network if
you use the Firewall and NAT.

Hope this helps
--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"c1287" <c1287@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is relation to a previously asked question.
>
> Am going out to buy a Wireless Access Point tomorrow to enable a WI FI PDA
> to talk to my existing RJ 45 and hub network. I've been told this
> connects
> to my hub, and then if I then put a wireless PCMCIA card into my laptop
> that
> that will also work. But two posts have told me to get a wireless router
> and
> to forget about my existing hub, is there a reason for this.
> What are the benifits of a router over a hub, is it that the hub just
> won't
> work or does the router do a better job of it.
> I have to keep the wired network.

who ever invented abreviations should be shot :), but basically, I can keep
my wired hub and still use the wireless access point, i've just looked and
it's called a wireless ethernet adaptor, is this the same??

"WLW" wrote:

> > What are the benifits of a router over a hub
>
> A Wireless Router usually has more features than a Wireless Access Point.
>
> The Linksys Wireless Routers usually have a Firewall and DHCP Server. They
> do NAT and can usually handle a VPN as well. Be aware that on these, the
> built-in hub is on the same "side" of the router as the wireless network if
> you use the Firewall and NAT.
>
> Hope this helps
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com
>

> "c1287" <c1287@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > This is relation to a previously asked question.
> >
> > Am going out to buy a Wireless Access Point tomorrow to enable a WI FI PDA
> > to talk to my existing RJ 45 and hub network. I've been told this
> > connects
> > to my hub, and then if I then put a wireless PCMCIA card into my laptop
> > that
> > that will also work. But two posts have told me to get a wireless router
> > and
> > to forget about my existing hub, is there a reason for this.
> > What are the benifits of a router over a hub, is it that the hub just
> > won't
> > work or does the router do a better job of it.
> > I have to keep the wired network.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
The content of the following links will provide you with a basic tutorial
about Sharing Internet and using Wireless; it is short and to the point:
Basic Options for Internet Connection Sharing -
Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -
Wireless Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122
The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices, and
the specific choice of hardware, stick with the principles are still the
same.
Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

> who ever invented abreviations should be shot :), but basically, I can
keep
> my wired hub and still use the wireless access point, i've just looked and
> it's called a wireless ethernet adaptor, is this the same??
>
> "WLW" wrote:
>
> > > What are the benifits of a router over a hub
> >
> > A Wireless Router usually has more features than a Wireless Access
Point.

> > The Linksys Wireless Routers usually have a Firewall and DHCP Server.
They
> > do NAT and can usually handle a VPN as well. Be aware that on these, the
> > built-in hub is on the same "side" of the router as the wireless network
if
> > you use the Firewall and NAT.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> > --
> > William L. Whipple
> > WWW.EZine.Com
> >

> > "c1287" <c1287@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > This is relation to a previously asked question.
> > >
> > > Am going out to buy a Wireless Access Point tomorrow to enable a WI FI
PDA
> > > to talk to my existing RJ 45 and hub network. I've been told this
> > > connects
> > > to my hub, and then if I then put a wireless PCMCIA card into my
laptop
> > > that
> > > that will also work. But two posts have told me to get a wireless
router
> > > and
> > > to forget about my existing hub, is there a reason for this.
> > > What are the benifits of a router over a hub, is it that the hub just
> > > won't
> > > work or does the router do a better job of it.
> > > I have to keep the wired network.

Thanks Jack, much obliged