Intel raid or Promise raid?

My motherboard is Asus P4P800E Deluxe, running Windows XP pro SP2.
the motherboard has build-in Intel chipset ICH5R support SATA raid function.
But it also has a build-in Promise Fastack 378 SATA raid controller.

I have 2 SATA harddisks and planning to run raid 0 mode. Which SATA should I
use?
Intel or Promise, which one is faster, better?
4 answers Last reply
More about intel raid promise raid

    RAID (redundant array of independent disks; originally redundant array of
    inexpensive disks) is a way of storing the same data in different places
    (thus, redundantly) on multiple hard disks. By placing data on multiple
    disks, I/O operations can overlap in a balanced way, improving performance.
    Since multiple disks increases the mean time between failure (MTBF), storing
    data redundantly also increases fault-tolerance.

    A RAID appears to the operating system to be a single logical hard disk.
    RAID employs the technique of striping, which involves partitioning each
    drive's storage space into units ranging from a sector (512 bytes) up to
    several megabytes. The stripes of all the disks are interleaved and addressed
    in order.

    In a single-user system where large records, such as medical or other
    scientific images, are stored, the stripes are typically set up to be small
    (perhaps 512 bytes) so that a single record spans all disks and can be
    accessed quickly by reading all disks at the same time.

    In a multi-user system, better performance requires establishing a stripe
    wide enough to hold the typical or maximum size record. This allows
    overlapped disk I/O across drives.

    There are at least nine types of RAID plus a non-redundant array (RAID-0):

    RAID-0. This technique has striping but no redundancy of data. It offers the
    best performance but no fault-tolerance.

    Given the above, there is little to choose between various chips sets. Does
    the manufacturer show a preference for RAID 0 with 2 HDDs in the user
    manual. They must have some reason for providing two chips sets.

    "Anthony So" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message

    > My motherboard is Asus P4P800E Deluxe, running Windows XP pro SP2.
    > the motherboard has build-in Intel chipset ICH5R support SATA raid
    > function.
    > But it also has a build-in Promise Fastack 378 SATA raid controller.
    >
    > I have 2 SATA harddisks and planning to run raid 0 mode. Which SATA should
    > I use?
    > Intel or Promise, which one is faster, better?

    I have a GB 8KNXP with the same chipset and a Sil3112 in lieu of your
    Promise controller. When I installed my RAID0 I asked for advice like
    you're doing and the consensus was to use the on-chip ICH5R over the
    on-board controller (Silicon Image in my case, Promise in yours). The
    reasoning was that the ICH5R taxed the PCI bus less than the on-board
    variant.

    It is faster to use the Intel on board chip for raid since the data
    accesses the Southbridge chip directly giving you a higher amount of data
    transfer speeds. This question was answered in a recent issue of Maximum
    PC.

    Hope this helps....
    John

    "Johnny Ragazzo" <john_ragazzo@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > It is faster to use the Intel on board chip for raid since the data
    > accesses the Southbridge chip directly giving you a higher amount of data
    > transfer speeds. This question was answered in a recent issue of Maximum
    > PC.

    I'm saving your comments so the next time I reply to this question I'll
    state it more succinctly. Thanks.

NAS / RAID Intel SATA Windows XP