ATX power supply and 503+

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Are there any problems to look for when switching to an ATX power
supply from an AT? Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance..

David

tonys

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

no problems at all...........

In article <d94hq0t8t9kj1b3a305k1gsmfg94t6pomt@4ax.com>, David Rhodes
<jimdigriz1970@yahoo.com> writes
>Are there any problems to look for when switching to an ATX power
>supply from an AT? Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
>Thanks in advance..

I used both kinds on my 503+, without problems, and have a dim memory of
the jumper on the motherboard.
--
Roger Hunt

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Roger's right you have to set a jumper or the ATX PSU probably won't work
right.

>I used both kinds on my 503+, without problems, and have a dim memory of
>the jumper on the motherboard.
>--
>Roger Hunt

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:41:04 -0600, David Rhodes
<jimdigriz1970@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Are there any problems to look for when switching to an ATX power
>supply from an AT? Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
>Thanks in advance..
>

> David

Well, I have tried it and no luck so far. I set the jumper hook up the
power supply and .....nothing....no power.
I remember reading somewhere about using an ATX PS you need ACPI power
management. I have the bios JE439 (APM). Anyway....any help is
appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

You have a momentary contact power switch with a 2-pin connector plugged
into the motherboard, right? Are you sure you have the power switch
connector on the correct pins on the header? To be specific, the RPW_SW?
Try clearing the CMOS with the battery removed? This is a known good power
supply, right? External rocker switch on power supply turned to on,
correct?
Robert

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 08:41:04 -0600, David Rhodes
> <jimdigriz1970@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Are there any problems to look for when switching to an ATX power
> >supply from an AT? Any advice on the subject would be appreciated.
> >Thanks in advance..
> >

> > David
>

> Well, I have tried it and no luck so far. I set the jumper hook up the
> power supply and .....nothing....no power.
> I remember reading somewhere about using an ATX PS you need ACPI power
> management. I have the bios JE439 (APM). Anyway....any help is
> appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>
> David

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 07:10:06 GMT, "Robert Akins"
<robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote:

>You have a momentary contact power switch with a 2-pin connector plugged
>into the motherboard, right? Are you sure you have the power switch
>connector on the correct pins on the header? To be specific, the RPW_SW?
>Try clearing the CMOS with the battery removed? This is a known good power
>supply, right? External rocker switch on power supply turned to on,
>correct?
>Robert

The PS is brand new right out of the box, Antec 350W Smartpower. The
only connections out of the PS are the main, the periphs, the floppy
drive connection, an aux connector which looks like one half of the AT
main power connector, a 12v 4pin connector (but I have seen nowhere on
the MB for this one), and a 3 pin fan power connector. The power
switch is 4 pin, different kind of connection though, and was with the
old AT PS. Yes external switch is on.

Thanks
David

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:11:40 -0600, David Rhodes
<jimdigriz1970@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 07:10:06 GMT, "Robert Akins"
><robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>You have a momentary contact power switch with a 2-pin connector plugged
>>into the motherboard, right? Are you sure you have the power switch
>>connector on the correct pins on the header? To be specific, the RPW_SW?
>>Try clearing the CMOS with the battery removed? This is a known good power
>>supply, right? External rocker switch on power supply turned to on,
>>correct?
>>Robert
>>

>The PS is brand new right out of the box, Antec 350W Smartpower. The
>only connections out of the PS are the main, the periphs, the floppy
>drive connection, an aux connector which looks like one half of the AT
>main power connector, a 12v 4pin connector (but I have seen nowhere on
>the MB for this one), and a 3 pin fan power connector. The power
>switch is 4 pin, different kind of connection though, and was with the
>old AT PS. Yes external switch is on.
>
>Thanks
>David

ATX PS and mb is totally different than AT in terms of how it is
connected and functions.

1. ATX requires a different pushbutton system start-up than the AT
(AT uses continuous 4-wire on-or-off, ATX uses a momentary
switch), so the switch needs to be changed to the correct type.

2. The momentary switch now needs to be connected to the ATX pins
on the mb (same strip as the HDD lights, etc).

3. Set the AT/ATX PS header to ATX.

4. Connect the PS to the mb (I think this only goes one way).

Should now start when both the PS is turned on AND the momentary
button is hit.

Regards, Jerry

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Exactly. Won't work without a new 2-wire momentary power switch which plugs
into the RPW_SW header on the motherboard, next to the HDD LED and Power LED
connectors. See example at this page:
http://www.pccables.com/03201.htm
Robert
"Gerald Abrahamson" <jerryab@visi.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 08:11:40 -0600, David Rhodes
> <jimdigriz1970@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 07:10:06 GMT, "Robert Akins"
> ><robert.akins2@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> >>You have a momentary contact power switch with a 2-pin connector plugged
> >>into the motherboard, right? Are you sure you have the power switch
> >>connector on the correct pins on the header? To be specific, the
RPW_SW?
> >>Try clearing the CMOS with the battery removed? This is a known good
power
> >>supply, right? External rocker switch on power supply turned to on,
> >>correct?
> >>Robert
> >>

> >The PS is brand new right out of the box, Antec 350W Smartpower. The
> >only connections out of the PS are the main, the periphs, the floppy
> >drive connection, an aux connector which looks like one half of the AT
> >main power connector, a 12v 4pin connector (but I have seen nowhere on
> >the MB for this one), and a 3 pin fan power connector. The power
> >switch is 4 pin, different kind of connection though, and was with the
> >old AT PS. Yes external switch is on.
> >
> >Thanks
> >David
>
> ATX PS and mb is totally different than AT in terms of how it is
> connected and functions.
>
> 1. ATX requires a different pushbutton system start-up than the AT
> (AT uses continuous 4-wire on-or-off, ATX uses a momentary
> switch), so the switch needs to be changed to the correct type.
>
> 2. The momentary switch now needs to be connected to the ATX pins
> on the mb (same strip as the HDD lights, etc).
>
> 3. Set the AT/ATX PS header to ATX.
>
> 4. Connect the PS to the mb (I think this only goes one way).
>
> Should now start when both the PS is turned on AND the momentary
> button is hit.
>
> Regards, Jerry

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Until you get a momentary power switch, try touching a screwdriver to
the 2 power pins on the motherboard for a second or two. You can also
try connecting the "reset" button to the power switch pins and use that
in the meantime.

--Alex

TRENDING THREADS