Running MAME on TV

Hi all,

How many of you out there are running MAME on a PC connected to a TV ? I
currently have an arcade machine but I will be selling it soon as I am
going to Europe for a while. After I come back I will be wanting to run
MAME from my PC onto a TV, most likely using an X-Arcade stick or something.

What's the best setup you guys can tell me to get it going ???

Many thanks,
Brad.
P.S. For you guys in Australia I will be listing my MAME cabinet on EBay
soon...

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:09:19 +1100, KING TIGER <nospam_@nospam.com.au>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>How many of you out there are running MAME on a PC connected to a TV ? I
>currently have an arcade machine but I will be selling it soon as I am
>going to Europe for a while. After I come back I will be wanting to run
>MAME from my PC onto a TV, most likely using an X-Arcade stick or something.
>
>What's the best setup you guys can tell me to get it going ???
>
>Many thanks,
>Brad.
>P.S. For you guys in Australia I will be listing my MAME cabinet on EBay
>soon...

A video card with S-Video out will give decent results. Not as crisp
as a PC monitor, but often authentic considering many of the old games
didn't have great monitors. I have an old GeForce 3 with S-Video that
works great. You should be able to find something cheap.

www.arcadecontrols.com forums has a section dedicated to monitors. You
can find what TV's work best there. Good luck.

Tim

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* innocent_lamb wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Mame on TV?

> I tried that once, but kept falling off.

Well if a Lamb with a nice low center of gravity keeps falling off,
there is no hope for the rest of us.

--
David
I feel like I am sharing a ``CORN-DOG'' with NIKITA KHRUSCHEV ...

Tim O wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:09:19 +1100, KING TIGER <nospam_@nospam.com.au>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>How many of you out there are running MAME on a PC connected to a TV ? I
>>currently have an arcade machine but I will be selling it soon as I am
>>going to Europe for a while. After I come back I will be wanting to run
>>MAME from my PC onto a TV, most likely using an X-Arcade stick or something.
>>
>>What's the best setup you guys can tell me to get it going ???
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>Brad.
>>P.S. For you guys in Australia I will be listing my MAME cabinet on EBay
>>soon...
>

> A video card with S-Video out will give decent results. Not as crisp
> as a PC monitor, but often authentic considering many of the old games
> didn't have great monitors. I have an old GeForce 3 with S-Video that
> works great. You should be able to find something cheap.
>
> www.arcadecontrols.com forums has a section dedicated to monitors. You
> can find what TV's work best there. Good luck.
>
> Tim

Hey thanks heaps for your help !

Yea I've got a nice big 80cm CRT TV which I will put MAME through. I
understand it wont be as crisp as a VGA monitor, but then again, playing
on MAME on the monitor does show up all the fine detail which you didn't
get playing in the arcade so I'm not too fussed about it.

Thanks a lot though.
Brad.

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 07:33:35 +1100, KING TIGER <nospam_@nospam.com.au>
wrote:

>Hey thanks heaps for your help !
>
>Yea I've got a nice big 80cm CRT TV which I will put MAME through. I
>understand it wont be as crisp as a VGA monitor, but then again, playing
>on MAME on the monitor does show up all the fine detail which you didn't
>get playing in the arcade so I'm not too fussed about it.
>
>Thanks a lot though.
>Brad.

I hooked up my laptop to my 65 inch (165 cm) Toshiba and played Donkey
Kong. It looked so cool. Not sure the TV could take being tipped up on
its side to play it in proper vertical mode. :)

Tim

You could always buy a modded xbox, and play mameox on your tv that way =)

"SINNER" <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote in message
>* innocent_lamb wrote in alt.games.mame:
>> Mame on TV?
>
>> I tried that once, but kept falling off.
>
> Well if a Lamb with a nice low center of gravity keeps falling off,
> there is no hope for the rest of us.
>
> --
> David
> I feel like I am sharing a ``CORN-DOG'' with NIKITA KHRUSCHEV ...

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 07:33:25 -0500
Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure the TV could
> take being tipped up on its side to play it in proper vertical
> mode. :)

As long as you could make it sit OK without rocking, it
shouldn't cause any problems to the telly. Ventilation might be
the only issue, since they are designed to vent the hot air
through the top. Mod your telly with a small cooling fan, and
it's not gonna matter though :)

-Chris D

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:48:10 +1030, Chris D
<dicko-news@riverland.ARRRGNOMORESPAM.net.au> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 07:33:25 -0500
>Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure the TV could
>> take being tipped up on its side to play it in proper vertical
>> mode. :)
>
>As long as you could make it sit OK without rocking, it
>shouldn't cause any problems to the telly. Ventilation might be
>the only issue, since they are designed to vent the hot air
>through the top. Mod your telly with a small cooling fan, and
>it's not gonna matter though :)

for a 65 inch (rear proj?) TV??

nah, it'll stuff up the convergence....and then fall forward and crush
you

Tim Worthington wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:48:10 +1030, Chris D
> <dicko-news@riverland.ARRRGNOMORESPAM.net.au> wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 07:33:25 -0500
>>Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Not sure the TV could
>>>take being tipped up on its side to play it in proper vertical
>>>mode. :)
>>
>>As long as you could make it sit OK without rocking, it
>>shouldn't cause any problems to the telly. Ventilation might be
>>the only issue, since they are designed to vent the hot air
>>through the top. Mod your telly with a small cooling fan, and
>>it's not gonna matter though :)
>

> for a 65 inch (rear proj?) TV??
>
> nah, it'll stuff up the convergence....and then fall forward and crush
> you

Not a problem, mate. Just mount an Acme Gravity Generator horizontally
beside it, and Bob's your uncle!

Thnik about it, eh!
Dead_Dad