Corrupted Com port

We've got a new pc with XP SP2 installed. It's having a problelm with
loosing the com port for an unknown reason. It will work for a bit and then
randomly dissapear. I have to uninstall the port then reboot to get it back
again. BTW it doesn't show that there's an error when the system hardware is
opened, it plays stupid.

Any insights or suggestions??

Nexxas

"Nexxas" <Nexxas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We've got a new pc with XP SP2 installed. It's having a problelm with
> loosing the com port for an unknown reason. It will work for a bit
> and then
> randomly dissapear. I have to uninstall the port then reboot to get
> it back
> again. BTW it doesn't show that there's an error when the system
> hardware is
> opened, it plays stupid.
>
> Any insights or suggestions??
>
> Nexxas

Note that COM1 and COM3 are shared interrupts, as are COM2 and COM4.
So, if you have a modem on COM3, it will interfere with use of COM1
unless the modem is disabled. If you have fax software active and
listening on its com port, the corresponding shared port will have
problems.