CHANGING SYSTEM BOOT DRIVES

How do I make my SATA RAID 0 drives active for system boot? Currently my
PATA drive, which is my D drive, is the active (system) drive however windows
boots from my C (SATA) drive. I use to have my SATA drive as both system and
boot drives until I did a bios update and then the PATA drive became active.
The recovery console does not acknowledge my SATA RAID drives, they don't
show up in chkdsk or map. Not only that, my D (PATA) drive is listed as my C
drive, harddisk0. I've tried copying ntldr and ntdetect.com to the SATA
drives but that causes errors.

My system is an ASUS P4P800 with 2 WD Raptors in RAID 0 on the SATA bus
designated as C. I also have a WD 120 G drive as my D drive on the PATA bus.
I'm using WXP Pro SP2. In the disk managment utility, my drives are all
designated properly and it shows D as system and C as boot.

Any idea of how to do that without spending chunks of cash for software?
Thanks

Trevor
--
trevor
2 answers Last reply

    Have you gone into your BIOS and checked to see what was listed as 1st/2nd boot
    device??
    The Bios update might have changed it
    peter
    "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How do I make my SATA RAID 0 drives active for system boot? Currently my
    > PATA drive, which is my D drive, is the active (system) drive however windows
    > boots from my C (SATA) drive. I use to have my SATA drive as both system and
    > boot drives until I did a bios update and then the PATA drive became active.
    > The recovery console does not acknowledge my SATA RAID drives, they don't
    > show up in chkdsk or map. Not only that, my D (PATA) drive is listed as my C
    > drive, harddisk0. I've tried copying ntldr and ntdetect.com to the SATA
    > drives but that causes errors.
    >
    > My system is an ASUS P4P800 with 2 WD Raptors in RAID 0 on the SATA bus
    > designated as C. I also have a WD 120 G drive as my D drive on the PATA bus.
    > I'm using WXP Pro SP2. In the disk managment utility, my drives are all
    > designated properly and it shows D as system and C as boot.
    >
    > Any idea of how to do that without spending chunks of cash for software?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Trevor
    > --
    > trevor

    Ummmm, yeah. I wish it were that easy.

    Trevor

    "peter" wrote:

    > Have you gone into your BIOS and checked to see what was listed as 1st/2nd boot
    > device??
    > The Bios update might have changed it
    > peter
    > "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I make my SATA RAID 0 drives active for system boot? Currently my
    > > PATA drive, which is my D drive, is the active (system) drive however windows
    > > boots from my C (SATA) drive. I use to have my SATA drive as both system and
    > > boot drives until I did a bios update and then the PATA drive became active.
    > > The recovery console does not acknowledge my SATA RAID drives, they don't
    > > show up in chkdsk or map. Not only that, my D (PATA) drive is listed as my C
    > > drive, harddisk0. I've tried copying ntldr and ntdetect.com to the SATA
    > > drives but that causes errors.
    > >
    > > My system is an ASUS P4P800 with 2 WD Raptors in RAID 0 on the SATA bus
    > > designated as C. I also have a WD 120 G drive as my D drive on the PATA bus.
    > > I'm using WXP Pro SP2. In the disk managment utility, my drives are all
    > > designated properly and it shows D as system and C as boot.
    > >
    > > Any idea of how to do that without spending chunks of cash for software?
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Trevor
    > > --
    > > trevor