Will someone please recommend a Modem that would be guaranteed to work with:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
Windows XP Pro SP2
Motherboard Plantinex 2PE/800 Pro 6AL

I upgraded from Win.ME and the Modem did not work. I had a spare one of a
different make and that one did not work either, so please help! Thank you
all

peter

Hi,

Do a google search for an XP or Win2000 modem drivers for your brand and
model.
The best drivers should be from the modem manufacturer's website.

Peter

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Will someone please recommend a Modem that would be guaranteed to work with:
> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Motherboard Plantinex 2PE/800 Pro 6AL
>
> I upgraded from Win.ME and the Modem did not work. I had a spare one of a
> different make and that one did not work either, so please help! Thank you
> all

Most modems (ie the less expensive ones) are controllerless modems in which
XP and your processor do the actual work. Controller based modems ($100.00
range and up) do the work inside the modem and output to WinXP. A better
explanation can be had here:

Click on MODEMS 101
http://www.usr.com/education/modem0.asp

I don't use a tele modem for internet but I do for WinFax Pro. WinFax Pro
apparently does not like controllerless modems and my cheap internal modem
would not receive correctly. I purchased a USR model 5686E that works
flawlessly with WinFax Pro.

IMO if you want a more reliable modem buy a controller based modem.

r.

P4 2.53
WinXP Home SP2
MSI 6566E mainboard

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:eW66rjztEHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Will someone please recommend a Modem that would be guaranteed to work
> with:
> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Motherboard Plantinex 2PE/800 Pro 6AL
>
> I upgraded from Win.ME and the Modem did not work. I had a spare one of a
> different make and that one did not work either, so please help! Thank you
> all

Regardless of modem make, you have to use XP drivers..

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:eW66rjztEHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Will someone please recommend a Modem that would be guaranteed to work
> with:
> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Motherboard Plantinex 2PE/800 Pro 6AL
>
> I upgraded from Win.ME and the Modem did not work. I had a spare one of a
> different make and that one did not work either, so please help! Thank you
> all

Oh, definitely. I was just answering the first question as the driver issue
was already addressed.

r.

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Regardless of modem make, you have to use XP drivers..
>

> "annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
> message news:eW66rjztEHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Will someone please recommend a Modem that would be guaranteed to work
>> with:
>> Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
>> Windows XP Pro SP2
>> Motherboard Plantinex 2PE/800 Pro 6AL
>>
>> I upgraded from Win.ME and the Modem did not work. I had a spare one of a
>> different make and that one did not work either, so please help! Thank
>> you all

Actually, few so-called winmodems (the controllerless ones) will work
within XP. It just flat-out does not like them.