setup cannot acsess disk?

October 21, 2004 4:07:19 AM

heres what i did. i was working on a customers computer. his windows xp files
on his hard drive were messed up so he told me to back his files up. so i
took the hard drive out and hooked it up as a secondary to my windows 2000
computer. my computer can see the hard drive in the device manager but not in
my computer. so i took it out and played with the jumpers and still nothing.
i put the jumpers back on master and put it back in the customers computer.
it says invalid system disk insert corect system disk and press enter or
something like that. so i put my windows xp pro instalation cd in it and it
says setup can not acsess disk.

ive re checked my connections. contacted maxtor and got a utility to check
the hard drives and it couldnt even detect the hard drive. so im sitting here
thinking it may be the hard drive?

More about : setup acsess disk

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 4:25:03 AM

Played with the jumpers,it's either set as master or slave.What is the disk
priority set to in boot-up in the BIOS,try setting to the cdrom with xp cd
installed,boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter for password,then type:D iskPart
In DiskPart does it recognize C: drive,then press Esc then type:CHKDSK C: /R
Type:EXIT when thru.Why would one back-up corrupted xp files to begin with
!!

!