Pent. 4 processors

I was wondering if anyone knows if Pentium 4 processors (not OEM) come with
thermal compound already in the package?

I am looking to buy P4 2.26ghz, 512 cache.

A retail Intel CPU in a box, has the CPU, and a fan and
heatsink with a thermal tape applied, remove the protective
cover.

"Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
|I was wondering if anyone knows if Pentium 4 processors
(not OEM) come with
| thermal compound already in the package?
|
| I am looking to buy P4 2.26ghz, 512 cache.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Is thermal tape the same thing as thermal compound?

> A retail Intel CPU in a box, has the CPU, and a fan and
> heatsink with a thermal tape applied, remove the protective
> cover.

> "Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
> |I was wondering if anyone knows if Pentium 4 processors
> (not OEM) come with
> | thermal compound already in the package?
> |
> | I am looking to buy P4 2.26ghz, 512 cache.

It performs the same function. Tape is like well tape, and compound is
like a paste.

Jack wrote:

> Is thermal tape the same thing as thermal compound?
>
> "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
>
>>A retail Intel CPU in a box, has the CPU, and a fan and
>>heatsink with a thermal tape applied, remove the protective
>>cover.
>>

>>--
>>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
>>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
>>

>>"Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
>>|I was wondering if anyone knows if Pentium 4 processors
>>(not OEM) come with
>>| thermal compound already in the package?
>>|
>>| I am looking to buy P4 2.26ghz, 512 cache.

Thermal tape is easier for a manufacturer to apply and
deliver. The actual compound is applied to a vinyl film
(tape) in a uniform thickness. The tape is cut to a certain
length and applied to the bottom of the heatsink. The vinyl
tape then serves to protect the actual layer of compound.

Thermal compound comes in tubes, and you must apply a small
amount and spread it on a in a very thin layer. You also
should not touch it with your fingers, use a clean tool to
apply and spread the compound.

"Jack" <Jack@email.com> wrote in message
| Is thermal tape the same thing as thermal compound?

in message
| > A retail Intel CPU in a box, has the CPU, and a fan and
| > heatsink with a thermal tape applied, remove the
protective
| > cover.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
| > |I was wondering if anyone knows if Pentium 4 processors
| > (not OEM) come with
| > | thermal compound already in the package?
| > |
| > | I am looking to buy P4 2.26ghz, 512 cache.
| > |
| > |

And BTW, you remove the black vinyl tape before you attach
the heatsink.

"Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
in message news:ealBBy4tEHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| Thermal tape is easier for a manufacturer to apply and
| deliver. The actual compound is applied to a vinyl film
| (tape) in a uniform thickness. The tape is cut to a
certain
| length and applied to the bottom of the heatsink. The
vinyl
| tape then serves to protect the actual layer of compound.
|
| Thermal compound comes in tubes, and you must apply a
small
| amount and spread it on a in a very thin layer. You also
| should not touch it with your fingers, use a clean tool to
| apply and spread the compound.
|

| --
| The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
| But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
|

| "Jack" <Jack@email.com> wrote in message
|| Is thermal tape the same thing as thermal compound?
|| "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
wrote
| in message
|| > A retail Intel CPU in a box, has the CPU, and a fan and
|| > heatsink with a thermal tape applied, remove the
| protective
|| > cover.
|| >

|| > --
|| > The people think the Constitution protects their
rights;
|| > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
|| >

|| > "Jack Carlson" <jack@email.com> wrote in message
processors
|| > (not OEM) come with
|| > |