Moving a Windows XP disk from one PC to another

HI,

I created a locked down windows XP build for a library. I now need to
install the build on another type of PC - same make but an older model.
However when it boots up it hangs on a black screen. In safe mode it will
hang on mup.sys. The disk will still work on the origanal PC, how can i
somehow forece windows to redetect the hardware so that when i put the disk
in the other pc it will detect the different hardware??

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about moving windows disk another

    Our company has an image that we use, and that works on any PC, how do i
    recreate something similar??

    "Vanguardx" wrote:

    > "JimJob" <JimJob@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in news:C7E47446-2F06-4F14-8919-12020C5734B6@microsoft.com:
    > > HI,
    > >
    > > I created a locked down windows XP build for a library. I now need to
    > > install the build on another type of PC - same make but an older
    > > model. However when it boots up it hangs on a black screen. In safe
    > > mode it will hang on mup.sys. The disk will still work on the
    > > origanal PC, how can i somehow forece windows to redetect the
    > > hardware so that when i put the disk in the other pc it will detect
    > > the different hardware??
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > You changed the hardware base which was used in your setup of Windows
    > XP. You need to retrain it for the different hardware. What happens
    > when you attempt an in-place upgrade (method 2) desribed at:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315341

    > ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ********
    > Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    When you say you're "moving a disk" do you mean that you're moving the hard
    drive from one machine to another and expecting it to boot, or you have an
    installation CD that you created, and that's what's not working on the
    second computer?

    JimJob wrote:
    > HI,
    >
    > I created a locked down windows XP build for a library. I now need
    > install the build on another type of PC - same make but an older
    > model. However when it boots up it hangs on a black screen. In safe
    > mode it will hang on mup.sys. The disk will still work on the
    > origanal PC, how can i somehow forece windows to redetect the
    > hardware so that when i put the disk in the other pc it will detect
    > the different hardware??
    >
    > Thanks

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
    point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
    OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
    picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
    style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
    before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
    accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
    installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
    is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
    more stable than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
    than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
    you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
    problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
    call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks Guys,

    Basically i have created a ghost image of a locked down Dell Gx240. I want
    to copy this image to a Dell GX1. I have tried sysprep to no avail. The
    in-place upgrade information did work, so thanks for your help. Howver, i
    work for a large mutilinational company and we have an XP image that is
    tailored to our company. This image works on any machine we throw it on,
    from IBM to Dell to Compaq, anyone know how that image was done????

    Thanks

Hardware Build Windows XP