VA-503+ upgraded video card

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hi,
I recently changed video cards from a Voodoo Banshee Hercules Maxi-gamer
Phoenix, to an Nvidia Geforce 2 MX. I'm running windoze 98se. When the comp
boots, the initial video still says I have a voodoo banshee installed. Any
idea how to make it display the correct nvidia BIOS info?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Moe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Whaaaa...??? Do you mean that the VGA BIOS screen (before the
motherboard's own BIOS screen) still says Voodoo Banshee? Even after
you have uninstalled the Banshee card? I am not sure that is even
possible, unless the Voodoo card is still installed in the computer (for
example, PCI Voodoo and AGP Geforce).

Or do you mean something else by "the initial video"?

--Alex

Moe Mosheim - N3ZA wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently changed video cards from a Voodoo Banshee Hercules Maxi-gamer
> Phoenix, to an Nvidia Geforce 2 MX. I'm running windoze 98se. When the comp
> boots, the initial video still says I have a voodoo banshee installed. Any
> idea how to make it display the correct nvidia BIOS info?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
> Moe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Alex,
That is exactly right. VGA BIOS. I don't understand it either, but that's
what's happening!
You have it half right however. The Voodoo was a PCI card and the Geforce is
AGP.
Maybe there's something in system BIOS I need to change, but where is it
reading that info??
By the way, system runs OK except for some Direct X problems which I don't
care to
troubleshoot. Plays Quake 2 just fine!

Moe

"Alex Zorrilla" <apz@zxeng.com> wrote in message
> Whaaaa...??? Do you mean that the VGA BIOS screen (before the
> motherboard's own BIOS screen) still says Voodoo Banshee? Even after
> you have uninstalled the Banshee card? I am not sure that is even
> possible, unless the Voodoo card is still installed in the computer (for
> example, PCI Voodoo and AGP Geforce).
>
> Or do you mean something else by "the initial video"?
>
> --Alex
>

> Moe Mosheim - N3ZA wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I recently changed video cards from a Voodoo Banshee Hercules Maxi-gamer
> > Phoenix, to an Nvidia Geforce 2 MX. I'm running windoze 98se. When the
comp
> > boots, the initial video still says I have a voodoo banshee installed.
Any
> > idea how to make it display the correct nvidia BIOS info?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for the help.
> > Moe

student

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003

Moe - N3ZA wrote:
> Alex,
> That is exactly right. VGA BIOS. I don't understand it either, but that's
> what's happening!
> You have it half right however. The Voodoo was a PCI card and the Geforce is
> AGP.
> Maybe there's something in system BIOS I need to change, but where is it
> reading that info??

I don't know if it will solve your problem but
under PNP/PCI CONFIGURATION in bios setup,
you should see

Reset Configuration Data: Disabled

If you toggle that to Enabled, save and reboot, it will rescan the
PCI bus
and reset the option to Disabled again.

I always recan the PCI bus any time I add or remove or move any cards
on my system.

Bill

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

If the message you are referring to is the first thing you see on the
monitor at boot and you have removed the Voodoo card from the system (and
this is not a dual monitor system with another Voodoo card still in the
system) then that is physically impossible and you must be a troll.

If you are seeing this after post then maybe you have something like vgabios
that is loading a bios from the autoexec.bat file. I remember using vgabios
to load a hacked Nvidia bios a long time ago, but I guess it could be used
for a 3dfx bios as well. Look for a line in the autoexec.bat file that is
something like this:
lh C:\VGABIOS\VGABIOS -fC:\VGABIOS\biosname.ROM

If you are seeing this after Win98 loads then it is probably left over 3dfx
utilities or driver bits that need to be cleaned out.

"Moe Mosheim - N3ZA" <mmosh@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I recently changed video cards from a Voodoo Banshee Hercules Maxi-gamer
> Phoenix, to an Nvidia Geforce 2 MX. I'm running windoze 98se. When the
comp
> boots, the initial video still says I have a voodoo banshee installed. Any
> idea how to make it display the correct nvidia BIOS info?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help.
> Moe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Resetting the Configuration Data (some BIOSes say ESCD) sounds like a
pretty good idea. Some BIOSes also have an option on whether to
initialize the PCI VGA or AGP VGA first. You may look for that. (I am
not at a 503+ right now, so I do not know for sure if that setting is
there.)

If all else fails, I suppose you could try restting the motherboard's
BIOS using the Clear CMOS jumper.

--Alex