large drive with 503+

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 25, 2005 2:10:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig be used with an FIC VA503+?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

More about : large drive 503

April 25, 2005 2:21:21 PM

nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>

> Alan

I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller card
for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
discussion here
about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).
April 25, 2005 6:28:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Yes, but you will need the most recent je3333 BIOS (I think this is
the correct number). This BIOS supports drives up to 127Gig, I
believe. I use a 20 Gig drive on my 503+ using the onboard IDE
interfaces.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
<nobody@junk.min.net> wrote in message
| Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig be used with an FIC VA503+?

Related resources
April 25, 2005 9:55:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

In <Bw3be.16247$m31.147535@typhoon.sonic.net>, on 04/25/05
at 10:21 AM, student <nospam@a.b.c.dINVALID> said:

>> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>>

> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
>discussion here

So a second party controller is required?

>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
asking my question above.

Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

April 26, 2005 11:06:57 PM

nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
> In <Bw3be.16247$m31.147535@typhoon.sonic.net>, on 04/25/05
> at 10:21 AM, student <nospam@a.b.c.dINVALID> said:
>

>>>Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>>>

>> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
>>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
>>discussion here
>

> So a second party controller is required?
>

>>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
>>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
>>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).
>

> The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
> hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
> networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
> available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
> asking my question above.
>
> Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.
>

> Alan

As Kyle rightly points out, you can connect 33Mhz max burst rate
hard drives directly to the mobo, but almost any drive you buy today
is rated at 100-133Mhz max burst rate, so it would be a huge waste to
run it at 33Mhz m.b.r, especially when you can pick up a pci ide
controller board that will handle 133Mhz for about $15. The key point,
as Kyle said, is that you have to upgrade the BIOS. I don't know if all
the bits and pieces you need to do that are still available on the FICA
website but if not I am sure someone here will be happy to supply you
with them.

Bill
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2005 9:01:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Upgrading your BIOS to JE4333 will give you up to 136GB hard drives with
your onboard VIA ATA33 controller.
Robert
> In <Bw3be.16247$m31.147535@typhoon.sonic.net>, on 04/25/05
> at 10:21 AM, student <nospam@a.b.c.dINVALID> said:
>
>>> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
>>>

>> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
>>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
>>discussion here
>
> So a second party controller is required?
>
>>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
>>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
>>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).
>

> The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
> hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
> networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
> available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
> asking my question above.
>
> Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.
>

> Alan

> ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **
>
> Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14
>
> BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com

January 20, 2006 12:13:30 AM

I just bought a Rocket 100 IDE PCI interface and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 40GB. If I correctly understood info provided by both manufacturers, I do not need to flash mobo bios (current one is 1.15JE37) because the Rocket bios will handle and recognize the entire capacity of the new HD, is that right? I intend to leave my Seagate Medalist 3.2GB running off the onboard controller. Should I keep both disks as masters or should I move the 3.2GB to the Rocket IDE working as slave? Thanks for your help.
!