large drive with 503+

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig be used with an FIC VA503+?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

More about large drive
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
    >

    > Alan

    I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller card
    for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
    discussion here
    about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
    using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
    upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Yes, but you will need the most recent je3333 BIOS (I think this is
    the correct number). This BIOS supports drives up to 127Gig, I
    believe. I use a 20 Gig drive on my 503+ using the onboard IDE
    interfaces.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    In <Bw3be.16247$m31.147535@typhoon.sonic.net>, on 04/25/05
    at 10:21 AM, student <nospam@a.b.c.dINVALID> said:

    >> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
    >>

    > I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
    >card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
    >discussion here

    So a second party controller is required?

    >about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
    >using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
    >upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).

    The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
    hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
    networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
    available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
    asking my question above.

    Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > In <Bw3be.16247$m31.147535@typhoon.sonic.net>, on 04/25/05
    > at 10:21 AM, student <nospam@a.b.c.dINVALID> said:
    >

    >>>Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
    >>>

    >> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
    >>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
    >>discussion here
    >

    > So a second party controller is required?
    >

    >>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
    >>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
    >>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).
    >

    > The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
    > hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
    > networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
    > available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
    > asking my question above.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.
    >

    > Alan

    As Kyle rightly points out, you can connect 33Mhz max burst rate
    hard drives directly to the mobo, but almost any drive you buy today
    is rated at 100-133Mhz max burst rate, so it would be a huge waste to
    run it at 33Mhz m.b.r, especially when you can pick up a pci ide
    controller board that will handle 133Mhz for about $15. The key point,
    as Kyle said, is that you have to upgrade the BIOS. I don't know if all
    the bits and pieces you need to do that are still available on the FICA
    website but if not I am sure someone here will be happy to supply you
    with them.

    Bill
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Upgrading your BIOS to JE4333 will give you up to 136GB hard drives with
    your onboard VIA ATA33 controller.
    Robert
    > In <Bw3be.16247$m31.147535@typhoon.sonic.net>, on 04/25/05
    > at 10:21 AM, student <nospam@a.b.c.dINVALID> said:
    >
    >>> Can hard drives larger than 8.4 gig <<< be used with >>> an FIC VA503+?
    >>>

    >> I've been running a 20GB drive off a Promise Ultra100 pci controller
    >>card for the past couple of years. Works like a champ. Also, there was
    >>discussion here
    >
    > So a second party controller is required?
    >
    >>about running a 133Mps burst rate drive about a week ago. If you've been
    >>using 33Mps burst rate drives, you are in for a pleasant surpise if you
    >>upgrade to 133Mps (or even 100Mps).
    >

    > The situation is that I have a 503+, and old case, and some other
    > hardware, and I'm thinking of putting together a second computer and
    > networking with the one I'm using. I don't think small drives are
    > available now, save for used, so I wanted to check if large drives work by
    > asking my question above.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies, to you and everyone who answers.
    >

    > Alan

    > ** Please use address alanh77[at]comcast.net to reply via e-mail. **
    >
    > Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14
    >
    > BBS - The Nerve Center Telnet FidoNet 261/1000 tncbbs.no-ip.com

  6. I just bought a Rocket 100 IDE PCI interface and a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 40GB. If I correctly understood info provided by both manufacturers, I do not need to flash mobo bios (current one is 1.15JE37) because the Rocket bios will handle and recognize the entire capacity of the new HD, is that right? I intend to leave my Seagate Medalist 3.2GB running off the onboard controller. Should I keep both disks as masters or should I move the 3.2GB to the Rocket IDE working as slave? Thanks for your help.

FIC Hard Drives Motherboards