160Gig HDD not detected

I have updated the BIOS which does recognize properly my new SANSUMG disk
(second disk) but the Device Manager tells me:
Disk0 128.00GB unallocated. The maximum partition I can create there is
131069MB.
Following KB331958 I found out that the atapi.sys file is version 5.1.2600.0
meaning too old!
The windows XP pro running on the machine is SP2 patched.
Why has this file not been updated? What can I do?
Thanks for any suggestion.

"Stéf" <Stf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have updated the BIOS which does recognize properly my new SANSUMG disk
> (second disk) but the Device Manager tells me:
> Disk0 128.00GB unallocated. The maximum partition I can create there is
> 131069MB.
> Following KB331958 I found out that the atapi.sys file is version
> 5.1.2600.0
> meaning too old!
> The windows XP pro running on the machine is SP2 patched.
> Why has this file not been updated? What can I do?
> Thanks for any suggestion.

I know this is a shot in the dark Stef, but is it just possible that you
haven't partitioned and formatted your "new" Samsung hard drive?

Art

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have a read of this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
it should do the trick

Neil
"Stéf" <Stf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have updated the BIOS which does recognize properly my new SANSUMG disk
> (second disk) but the Device Manager tells me:
> Disk0 128.00GB unallocated. The maximum partition I can create there is
> 131069MB.
> Following KB331958 I found out that the atapi.sys file is version
> 5.1.2600.0
> meaning too old!
> The windows XP pro running on the machine is SP2 patched.
> Why has this file not been updated? What can I do?
> Thanks for any suggestion.

bar

New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must
first initialize it. If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the
Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can initialize the disk.
1. Open Computer Management (Local).
To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
2. In the console tree, click Disk Management.
3. Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize
Disk.
4. In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize.
If you are running Windows XP 64-Bit Edition, you can select whether to use
the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style.
The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

"Stéf" wrote:

> I have updated the BIOS which does recognize properly my new SANSUMG disk
> (second disk) but the Device Manager tells me:
> Disk0 128.00GB unallocated. The maximum partition I can create there is
> 131069MB.
> Following KB331958 I found out that the atapi.sys file is version 5.1.2600.0
> meaning too old!
> The windows XP pro running on the machine is SP2 patched.
> Why has this file not been updated? What can I do?
> Thanks for any suggestion.

Following KB303013:
- i set EnableBigLba to 1 : no result.

I believe the problem is still in the file atapi.sys which should be updated.
I am going to ask for assistance about about it.
Thanks,

"neil" wrote:

> Have a read of this
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
> it should do the trick
>
> Neil
> "Stéf" <Stf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have updated the BIOS which does recognize properly my new SANSUMG disk
> > (second disk) but the Device Manager tells me:
> > Disk0 128.00GB unallocated. The maximum partition I can create there is
> > 131069MB.
> > Following KB331958 I found out that the atapi.sys file is version
> > 5.1.2600.0
> > meaning too old!
> > The windows XP pro running on the machine is SP2 patched.
> > Why has this file not been updated? What can I do?
> > Thanks for any suggestion.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you search your hard drive for atapi.sys do you get a copy in
c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 and c:\windows\system32\drivers. You need
to be sure you are showing hidden files I think.
The copy I have in the service pack files & drivers folder is 5.1.2600.2180,
if the copies do not match you can manually copy the file over from service
pack files to drivers. (make a backup of the drivers one first)

You are right though the file should have updated automatically.

all the best
Neil
> Following KB303013:
> - i set EnableBigLba to 1 : no result.
>
> I believe the problem is still in the file atapi.sys which should be
> updated.
> I am going to ask for assistance about about it.
> Thanks,
>
> "neil" wrote:
>
>> Have a read of this
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
>> it should do the trick
>>
>> Neil
>> "Stéf" <Stf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have updated the BIOS which does recognize properly my new SANSUMG
>> >disk
>> > (second disk) but the Device Manager tells me:
>> > Disk0 128.00GB unallocated. The maximum partition I can create there is
>> > 131069MB.
>> > Following KB331958 I found out that the atapi.sys file is version
>> > 5.1.2600.0
>> > meaning too old!
>> > The windows XP pro running on the machine is SP2 patched.
>> > Why has this file not been updated? What can I do?
>> > Thanks for any suggestion.

Hi there Neil,

> The copy I have in the service pack files & drivers folder is
> 5.1.2600.2180, if the copies do not match you can manually copy the file
> over from service pack files to drivers. (make a backup of the drivers one
> first)

Are you sure you can simply copy these files over like that? If they
are COM registered then simply replacing the file will break the
registration won't it? Or are these files not COM registered?

Just a thought, because when the service pack updates the files (as far
as I am aware) it unregisters the old ones, and then registers the new ones
using regsvr32.exe. Anyway, just a thought.

Nick.

TRENDING THREADS