FIC AM37L Won't Power Up

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 25, 2005 12:40:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

My DOD (Dear Old Dad) has an eMachines desktop, model W1640, that won't
power up. According to EMachines support, it has an FIC AM37L Socket A
motherboard.

It worked a few weeks ago, but yesterday it wouldn't start up. I am
pretty good with computers, so I don't think it is something stupid.
We had a lightening storm over the weekend, so my first theory is that
it got zapped.

Tech support thought that would fry the power supply, which makes sense
since the computer was "off" but plugged in during the storm. I assume
this means there isn't a good electrical path to the mobo at that time,
but I am just guessing.

Probably the simplest thing to do is to buy a power supply unit from a
local store with a good return policy, try it out, and if it still
doesn't power up, I can return the PSU. We will also get a surge
suppressor while we are there.

More about : fic am37l power

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2005 8:15:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

The power supply is probably a pretty good place to start. Before you
go to the store, though, try disconnecting any PS/2 devices (keyboard
and mouse) and also the power cord going from the wall to the power
supply. Wait one minute, then plug the power supply back in, but leave
the mouse and keyboard disconnected. Now try starting the computer.

Don't ask me why, but that little trick used to work for my old
roommate's computer. I am guessing it had something to so with the
standby voltage and the overvoltage protection in the power supply.
Going through all that would somehow reset it.

--Alex

BrianEWilliams wrote:
> My DOD (Dear Old Dad) has an eMachines desktop, model W1640, that won't
> power up. According to EMachines support, it has an FIC AM37L Socket A
> motherboard.
>
> It worked a few weeks ago, but yesterday it wouldn't start up. I am
> pretty good with computers, so I don't think it is something stupid.
> We had a lightening storm over the weekend, so my first theory is that
> it got zapped.
>
> Tech support thought that would fry the power supply, which makes sense
> since the computer was "off" but plugged in during the storm. I assume
> this means there isn't a good electrical path to the mobo at that time,
> but I am just guessing.
>
> Probably the simplest thing to do is to buy a power supply unit from a
> local store with a good return policy, try it out, and if it still
> doesn't power up, I can return the PSU. We will also get a surge
> suppressor while we are there.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 28, 2005 9:08:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

If the computer has a modem with a phone cord plugged into the wall, it
could have gotten killed through the modem. I have a motherboard, modem,
and sound card out in the garage from a system I built for a gentleman who
left his computer plugged in while he was gone, during a thunderstorm. Did
a number on those components, but everything else, including the power
supply, was still OK.
Robert
"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My DOD (Dear Old Dad) has an eMachines desktop, model W1640, that won't
> power up. According to EMachines support, it has an FIC AM37L Socket A
> motherboard.
>
> It worked a few weeks ago, but yesterday it wouldn't start up. I am
> pretty good with computers, so I don't think it is something stupid.
> We had a lightening storm over the weekend, so my first theory is that
> it got zapped.
>
> Tech support thought that would fry the power supply, which makes sense
> since the computer was "off" but plugged in during the storm. I assume
> this means there isn't a good electrical path to the mobo at that time,
> but I am just guessing.
>
> Probably the simplest thing to do is to buy a power supply unit from a
> local store with a good return policy, try it out, and if it still
> doesn't power up, I can return the PSU. We will also get a surge
> suppressor while we are there.

a b V Motherboard
April 29, 2005 10:26:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I have the new power supply already, so I am going to test that theory
first. Same thing happened a while back to another eMachine in the
same house after a storm. Replacing the flimsy eMachine power supply
fixed the problem, so I feel pretty optimistic my dad has the same
problem. I'll post the results.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 1, 2005 10:55:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Replaced the power supply, and the box powered up right away. The
modem is fine. The PS/2 mouse seems to be bad now, though. It only
moves side to side, not up and down. Tried a USB mouse, and it worked
fine, so I'll probably get Dad a wireless USB mouse and close the
ticket. Total cost to fix = $100 including the surge suppressor,
mouse, and power supply.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 2, 2005 7:40:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Glad you got it back up and working Brian. Could've been a lot worse.

!