Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

My daughters emachines T1150 was working fine then it started to
freeze. After rebooting it it work fine for awhile and then freeze
again. This went on for a few days, then after rebooting it would
freeze right away. Now when I boot it up I hear a fan but there is
no image on the monitor. Any ideas on what the trouble is? Thanks

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

To be honest, it could be one of many things. One possibility is that
the CPU died. This can happen, especially if the fan cooling the CPU
stopped working. Because the fan stopped working, the CPU overheated.
At first, this caused the computer to lock up, but as more time passed,
more damage was done to the CPU, to the point where it would not boot up
anymore.

Another possibility is that a memory module has gone bad or worked
itself loose. This does not happen very often, but it is worth looking
at. If you have any other memory modules laying around, try those. If
not, sometimes just removing the RAM module and putting it back in is
enough to fix it, if it merely has become loose.

A third possiblity is that the motherboard itself has gone bad. There
has been a problem in the industry (not just eMachines) with capacitors
failing. If you take a close look at the capacitors and you see any
that are leaking or have bulging tops (like Coke cans getting ready to
explode), this could be your problem. Take a look at the pictures at
http://www.badcaps.net so you know what to look for.

Hope this helps.

--Alex