Postscript Error Printing Quark to HP DJ 500ps from Mac

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi peeps,

Hope maybe someone might be able to give me a few suggestions. Currently
trailing a HP DesignJet 500ps and its not really working very well. The 500
is on the Ethernet as it has a GL2 card in it. I have installed the HP Rip
(v1.0) on a mac (allocated 150mb ram to it). So people on network send to
rip, rip processes and sends to printer, printer prints. in theory. Managed
to get a print from Photoshop out ok, but Quark (the app we really need to
print from) wont work. The file gets to the rip ok, but then just says
"postscript error". I can even preview the document on the rip, but it wont
print. The document is 1/2 artwork scaled to 200%. Final print size is 1m x
2.6m (m= meter). HP said they have no probs printing from quark and that my
version of the RIP is very old. They are sending the newer version to me.
However in the mean time any advice or suggestions would be grateful.

Thanks

Michael

Alan

"Michael" <michael.garry@vital-design.co.uk> wrote in message news:<caki2h$18m$1@hercules.btinternet.com>...
> Hi peeps,
>
> Hope maybe someone might be able to give me a few suggestions. Currently
> trailing a HP DesignJet 500ps and its not really working very well. The 500
> is on the Ethernet as it has a GL2 card in it. I have installed the HP Rip
> (v1.0) on a mac (allocated 150mb ram to it). So people on network send to
> rip, rip processes and sends to printer, printer prints. in theory. Managed
> to get a print from Photoshop out ok, but Quark (the app we really need to
> print from) wont work. The file gets to the rip ok, but then just says
> "postscript error". I can even preview the document on the rip, but it wont
> print. The document is 1/2 artwork scaled to 200%. Final print size is 1m x
> 2.6m (m= meter). HP said they have no probs printing from quark and that my
> version of the RIP is very old. They are sending the newer version to me.
> However in the mean time any advice or suggestions would be grateful.

Can you print at all form Quark, or just this image? CAn you print if
ypou susbstitute lowere-resolution images (I assume you have some
large images in this).

If it previews, that means the PS is valid and it can RIP it to
low-res. So it sounds like you've overflowed the PS memory. You could
try giving it m,omre memory. Oterwise it could be that the RIP
software just can't
handle such a large image, regardless of resources.

Posible work-around: print/export/convert output to PDF, print from
Acrobat. If not, dial down resolution setting in the distiller, try
again.