Newbie question....

I have two computers (each has its own wireless card) I would like to
network and wondered if it is possible to connect them together as a point
to point wireless network i.e. without purchasing a Wireless Access Point?
Or is a Wireless Acess Point required for every wireless network?

Thanks in advance

(PS if this is possible a few tips would be helpful)

If you have two wireless adapters then you have enough to get what is Known
as an AD-HOC Network connection.

Install your two wireless adapters into each computer and run the wireless
network wizard, if you are using Windows XP with SP2 installed. That should
get you going.

If you are not running XP SP2 then look at the following links for more
info.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=trueHi
http://www.careyholzman.com/xp/home/xphome-1.htm
http://www.ezlan.net/

"Jason Frost" <jpfrost@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I have two computers (each has its own wireless card) I would like to
>network and wondered if it is possible to connect them together as a point
>to point wireless network i.e. without purchasing a Wireless Access Point?
>Or is a Wireless Acess Point required for every wireless network?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> (PS if this is possible a few tips would be helpful)

"Jason Frost" <jpfrost@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I have two computers (each has its own wireless card) I would like to
>network and wondered if it is possible to connect them together as a point
>to point wireless network i.e. without purchasing a Wireless Access Point?
>Or is a Wireless Acess Point required for every wireless network?

As DLink Guru stated, this can be done fairly easily - particularly insofar
as you've already got WiFi cards in each system.

However, I would point out that Wireless Routers aimed at home-users are
fairly inexpensive (for example, the DI-524 802.11g Router lists new on
Amazon for as low as $33). Not only do they ease network setup, but they
significantly enhance your network's scalability and security.

Thanks for your help. I have my Ad hoc wireless network up and running. I
will invest in a router in the near future.

One more questions:

My connection speed is reporting 11Mbps even though I have 54Mbps cards in
both computers - are there some settings I need to change?

Thanks.

> My connection speed is reporting 11Mbps even though I have 54Mbps cards in
> both computers - are there some settings I need to change?

The cards are going to connect at the highest speed possible that both cards
are compatible with. Anything but 11, and I'd say you might be suffering
from interference. But since it's 11, my guess is that one of the cards is
not a "g" card or is not running the proper drivers. If you know that they
are both "g" cards, check that you've got the latest drivers for them and
that they are properly installed.

Also, in "Device Manager", open the properties of each card. You should
have an "Advanced" tab with a bunch of settings in it. Make sure that there
isn't a setting restricting the speed of one or both cards to 11. For the
most part, everything should be set to "default".

If none of that is the issue, you may be able to find some troubleshooting
steps at the NIC manufacturer's website.

My cards are both definately "g" type cards. I will see if i can get updated
drivers.

Just to be clear, if I buy one of the Wireless Routers as suggested does
this give me a wireless network as well as sharing my internet connection or
do i still require a Wireless Access Point?

> My cards are both definately "g" type cards. I will see if i can get
> updated drivers.
>
> Just to be clear, if I buy one of the Wireless Routers as suggested does
> this give me a wireless network as well as sharing my internet connection
> or do i still require a Wireless Access Point?

No, you won't need an AP. If you get one of the wireless router/gateways
(such as the D-Link 524, or the Linksys WRT54G), you will be able to network
and connect to the internet. They usually also have up to 4 wired ports for
desktops or other devices. Out of the box, these things are very easy to
set up and generally give no problems at all. The only thing you need to
keep an eye on are the security settings. Usually, all security is turned
"off" be default. You should;

1) Change the SSID
2) Disable the broadcast ID
3) Utilize WEP or, if compatible with all your devices (WinXP supports it
with SP2 or the WPA patch), WPA. With either method, use as strong a key as
possible (you don't have to remember it, so make it long and filled with
random characters.)
4) Change the router's web-interface password

TRENDING THREADS