Monitor goes black after xp loading screen, sometimes

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Sometimes when i boot up my PC, and after the xp loading screen clears
and it should go to the login screen, my monitor just goes black. But
the green light on the monitor statys on. I find that if i pull out the
monitor plug from the video card and put it back in then the monitor
comes on. Is this a problem with my monitor, or something else??

thanks for the help
22 answers Last reply
More about monitor black loading screen sometimes
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Hard to say, exactly. Could be monitor, could be graphics card, could
    be the cable in between them.

    Brandon wrote:
    > Sometimes when i boot up my PC, and after the xp loading screen clears
    > and it should go to the login screen, my monitor just goes black. But
    > the green light on the monitor statys on. I find that if i pull out the
    > monitor plug from the video card and put it back in then the monitor
    > comes on. Is this a problem with my monitor, or something else??
    >
    > thanks for the help

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Is there anyway i can toubleshoot it, to find out what excatly is the
    problem??
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Well, the easiest would be if you had another computer around so you
    could try swapping parts (monitor, cable, graphics card), but this is
    not always practical.

    Here's a thought. Your monitor probably has some sort of menu button on
    the front. When you press it, there will probably be some sort of
    frequencies displayed. For example, mine right now says
    "81.4kHz/100Hz". The actual numbers displayed will vary, depending on
    your monitor, graphics card, and desktop resolution settings. Make note
    of the values for the following:

    when the computer is at the "WinXP is loading" screen
    when the computer is at the normal WinXP desktop
    when the computer has the black monitor problem

    Let me know what you get.

    Brandon wrote:
    > Is there anyway i can toubleshoot it, to find out what excatly is the
    > problem??

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Heres what my monitor (Optiquest V55) says

    Normal XP desktop

    H frequency 68.8 khz
    V frequenxy 85.0 hz

    XP loading screen

    H frequency 31.4khz
    V frequency 60 hz

    however the blackscreen after the windows loading screen as not
    happened since i reformatted my hard drive eairler this week. Is it
    possiable that my hard drive was the probelm??
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    The problem just happned again, only this time the light on the monitor
    did not stay green, it turned into the orange color i get when i turn
    of my pc but i leave the monitor on. I pushed the menu button, but
    nothing came up, i even tried turning the monitor off with the power
    button on the front but even that didn't work. However when i unpluged
    the cable from the video card my login screen came up just fine.

    what do you think this means?

    thanks again
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    From the way you describe the problem, it sounds like it happens when
    the computer swtiches graphics modes (as evidenced by the different
    readouts from the onscreen menu). The monitor receives a signal that it
    cannot process, so it just turns blank or goes into standby mode (orange
    light). In standby mode, you will not be able to pull up the onscreen
    menu, so that part is normal.

    Since unplugging and replugging the video cable seems to do the trick,
    check the pins on the video cable. Make sure that none of them are bent
    or dirty, and that the pins are making a good connection with the
    graphics card. It is not unusual if some of the pins are "missing", so
    do not worry if you do not see all 15 pins.

    Brandon wrote:
    > The problem just happned again, only this time the light on the monitor
    > did not stay green, it turned into the orange color i get when i turn
    > of my pc but i leave the monitor on. I pushed the menu button, but
    > nothing came up, i even tried turning the monitor off with the power
    > button on the front but even that didn't work. However when i unpluged
    > the cable from the video card my login screen came up just fine.
    >
    > what do you think this means?
    >
    > thanks again

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    i checked the pins and it seems that i have all 15. When i get the
    black screen the light on the monitor doesn't always turn back oragne
    likes its in stand by, it usually stays greeen, the orange light just
    came on once. Does that have anything to do with the problem?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    I checked and there are all 15 pins. But when the black screen happens,
    the light on the monitors usually stays green, only that one time it
    changed to orange. Also I don't think the video cable had a godo
    connection with the video card, because when i checked the pins and I
    put the cable back in i gave it a firm push and it went in a little
    more than it usally does. I hope this fixes it, i'll let you know if it
    happens again.

    thanks alot for your help
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Yeah, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this fixes the problem.

    Brandon wrote:
    > I checked and there are all 15 pins. But when the black screen happens,
    > the light on the monitors usually stays green, only that one time it
    > changed to orange. Also I don't think the video cable had a godo
    > connection with the video card, because when i checked the pins and I
    > put the cable back in i gave it a firm push and it went in a little
    > more than it usally does. I hope this fixes it, i'll let you know if it
    > happens again.
    >
    > thanks alot for your help

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    The problem happened about 3 times since my last post. But now its not
    just when i am going to XP. I recently installed slackware 10.1 And
    when i was booting up and goin to the boot loader, the problem happned
    again. And when i unpluged the monitor cable the boot loader came up. I
    think you were excatly right, the problem happens when i can trying to
    change video modes. What should i do? I was thinking i could switch
    monitors with my mom to see if the problem happens with that one.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Switching monitors with your mom is a good idea. It will be interesting
    to see if the problem stays with your computer or if it follows the monitor.

    Out of curiosity, does your monitor have the video cable built in, or is
    it one that you can unplug from the monitor's end?

    Brandon wrote:
    > The problem happened about 3 times since my last post. But now its not
    > just when i am going to XP. I recently installed slackware 10.1 And
    > when i was booting up and goin to the boot loader, the problem happned
    > again. And when i unpluged the monitor cable the boot loader came up. I
    > think you were excatly right, the problem happens when i can trying to
    > change video modes. What should i do? I was thinking i could switch
    > monitors with my mom to see if the problem happens with that one.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Its built in
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    OK. I was curious because if the problem happens to be in the cable or
    connector, I usually feel pretty stupid throwing the whole monitor away
    because of that. I am not really sure how often that happens, though.

    Brandon wrote:
    > Its built in

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    yea i know what you mean, It seems like such a waste. I switched the
    monitors today, and the problem hasn't happened yet, but i think its to
    early to jump to conclusions. I'll give it a few days and see what
    happens.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    I have been using my mom monitor for about a week now, and the problem
    has not happened once. I would like to test longer but the mom doesn't
    like the 15 inch. So i think i have narrowed down the problem to either
    to monitor or the signal cable fromt h monitor. I guess when i get some
    money i'm gonna have to buy a new one. For the the Optiquest V55 will
    do the trick, just need to take the cable out and put it back in every
    few boot ups.

    Thanks again for all your help.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Yeah, I think you're right. Thanks me keeping me posted.

    --Alex

    Brandon wrote:
    > I have been using my mom monitor for about a week now, and the problem
    > has not happened once. I would like to test longer but the mom doesn't
    > like the 15 inch. So i think i have narrowed down the problem to either
    > to monitor or the signal cable fromt h monitor. I guess when i get some
    > money i'm gonna have to buy a new one. For the the Optiquest V55 will
    > do the trick, just need to take the cable out and put it back in every
    > few boot ups.
    >
    > Thanks again for all your help.

  17. I have the exactly the same problem. however, I know it's not the monitor, because when I hook it up to the motherboard (integrated -.-), it's fine. It's a regular old PCI card, so no IDE cables. Any idea?
  18. I've got the same problem, but I'm pretty sure I know what it is. I just don't know how to carry it out. I recently installed a new video driver called NVidea and the computer will boot just fine through the BIOS but after the Windows loading screen the screen goes black. I don't know what I need to do to roll back the computer or uninstall the driver. You would be a life saver if you could come up with a solution..
  19. .
  20. Hope this helps guys! I worked on this one for a veeeeery long time.

    1. uninstall drivers
    2. download newest direct x from Microsoft
    3. install the driver

    NO MORE PROBLEMS FOR ME!!!!!
  21. Hi! My computer goes to a black screen when I start it up right after it shows the windows xp is loading it turns black then a flash of purple light comes then it goes black again but I try moving the mouse and I see the pointer on the black screen.

    I don't know what the problem is because last night it was working, we just installed a game and it was working good, the problem started when I turned it on this morning.

    I need help.
  22. Quote:
    Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

    Sometimes when i boot up my PC, and after the xp loading screen clears
    and it should go to the login screen, my monitor just goes black. But
    the green light on the monitor statys on. I find that if i pull out the
    monitor plug from the video card and put it back in then the monitor
    comes on. Is this a problem with my monitor, or something else??

    thanks for the help

    Hi,

    I had the same problem. I used wrong video cable connecting monitor with my computer. Cable was connected to DVI input in my computer and HDMI connector in my monitor. When I changed cable, and connected DVI connector in my computer with DVI connector in my monitor the problem disappeared. You should try it, change connections.

    Marek Z.

FIC Monitors Windows XP Motherboards