0x0000007B error with my new motherboard

Calvin

Need help urgently!!!

I just replaced a new motherboard ASUS P5GDC Deluxe. When I boot from my XP
SP1 CD-ROM, I got 0x0000007B error. This caused me not able to re-install XP
to my harddisk.

Can someone please help me resolve it?

fyi, I connected my HD to the Primary IDE slot while the CD-ROM connected to
the Primary IDE RAID1 slot with IDE Mode enabled.

Thanks.
Calvin

"Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Need help urgently!!!
>
> I just replaced a new motherboard ASUS P5GDC Deluxe. When I boot from my
> XP
> SP1 CD-ROM, I got 0x0000007B error. This caused me not able to re-install
> XP
> to my harddisk.
>
> Can someone please help me resolve it?
>
> fyi, I connected my HD to the Primary IDE slot while the CD-ROM connected
> the Primary IDE RAID1 slot with IDE Mode enabled.
>
> Thanks.
> Calvin

I would double check the jumper on your hard drive.
0X0000007B is unaccesable boot device. You must be
able to boot from the CD otherwise you wouldn't get
far enough to get that error.

Jim M

Calvin

jumper on the harddisk is set correctly.

I also tried to disconnect the harddisk from the motherboard and just boot
from the CD. I expect The Welcome to Setup screen would be shown and XP would
complaint "Harddisk was not found" when I selected to install XP. However,
the screen did not be shown and the same error occurred. I thus assume the
error should not be caused by the harddisk.

Calvin

"JBM" wrote:

> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Need help urgently!!!
> >
> > I just replaced a new motherboard ASUS P5GDC Deluxe. When I boot from my
> > XP
> > SP1 CD-ROM, I got 0x0000007B error. This caused me not able to re-install
> > XP
> > to my harddisk.
> >
> > Can someone please help me resolve it?
> >
> > fyi, I connected my HD to the Primary IDE slot while the CD-ROM connected
> > the Primary IDE RAID1 slot with IDE Mode enabled.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Calvin
>
> I would double check the jumper on your hard drive.
> 0X0000007B is unaccesable boot device. You must be
> able to boot from the CD otherwise you wouldn't get
> far enough to get that error.
>
> Jim M

First thing I should have asked is can you see
the hard drive in the BIOS?
That what stop error 0x0000007B is telling you.
Setup can't find the hard drive. If the jumper are
set correctly then either the drive is bad or the
cable or a setting in the BIOS needs to be changed.
Its very rare but sometimes I've seen jumper not
make proper contact with the pins on the drive.
But if the BIOS doesn't see the drive then XP will
never see it.

Jim M

> jumper on the harddisk is set correctly.
>
> I also tried to disconnect the harddisk from the motherboard and just boot
> from the CD. I expect The Welcome to Setup screen would be shown and XP
> would
> complaint "Harddisk was not found" when I selected to install XP.
> However,
> the screen did not be shown and the same error occurred. I thus assume the
> error should not be caused by the harddisk.
>
> Calvin
>
> "JBM" wrote:
>

>> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Need help urgently!!!
>> >
>> > I just replaced a new motherboard ASUS P5GDC Deluxe. When I boot from
>> > my
>> > XP
>> > SP1 CD-ROM, I got 0x0000007B error. This caused me not able to
>> > re-install
>> > XP
>> > to my harddisk.
>> >
>> > Can someone please help me resolve it?
>> >
>> > fyi, I connected my HD to the Primary IDE slot while the CD-ROM
>> > connected
>> > the Primary IDE RAID1 slot with IDE Mode enabled.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> > Calvin
>>
>> I would double check the jumper on your hard drive.
>> 0X0000007B is unaccesable boot device. You must be
>> able to boot from the CD otherwise you wouldn't get
>> far enough to get that error.
>>
>> Jim M

Calvin

I can see the hard drive in the BIOS in Main Menu as Primary IDE Master.
However, I can't see the CD-ROM in the same menu of the BIOS. Not sure if
it's normal or not. But I could boot from CD-ROM anyway.

Did anyone have experience on using ASUS P5GDC Deluxe motherboard with IDE
ATA hard drive? If yes, appreciate if you could advise me how you connect
your drives to the motherboard.

Thanks.

Calvin

"JBM" wrote:

> First thing I should have asked is can you see
> the hard drive in the BIOS?
> That what stop error 0x0000007B is telling you.
> Setup can't find the hard drive. If the jumper are
> set correctly then either the drive is bad or the
> cable or a setting in the BIOS needs to be changed.
> Its very rare but sometimes I've seen jumper not
> make proper contact with the pins on the drive.
> But if the BIOS doesn't see the drive then XP will
> never see it.
>
> Jim M
>
> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > jumper on the harddisk is set correctly.
> >
> > I also tried to disconnect the harddisk from the motherboard and just boot
> > from the CD. I expect The Welcome to Setup screen would be shown and XP
> > would
> > complaint "Harddisk was not found" when I selected to install XP.
> > However,
> > the screen did not be shown and the same error occurred. I thus assume the
> > error should not be caused by the harddisk.
> >
> > Calvin
> >
> > "JBM" wrote:
> >

> >> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> I would double check the jumper on your hard drive.
> >> 0X0000007B is unaccesable boot device. You must be
> >> able to boot from the CD otherwise you wouldn't get
> >> far enough to get that error.
> >>
> >> Jim M

Try swapping where you have to CD and hard drive installed.

>I can see the hard drive in the BIOS in Main Menu as Primary IDE Master.
> However, I can't see the CD-ROM in the same menu of the BIOS. Not sure if
> it's normal or not. But I could boot from CD-ROM anyway.
>
> Did anyone have experience on using ASUS P5GDC Deluxe motherboard with IDE
> ATA hard drive? If yes, appreciate if you could advise me how you connect
> your drives to the motherboard.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Calvin
>
> "JBM" wrote:
>
>> First thing I should have asked is can you see
>> the hard drive in the BIOS?
>> That what stop error 0x0000007B is telling you.
>> Setup can't find the hard drive. If the jumper are
>> set correctly then either the drive is bad or the
>> cable or a setting in the BIOS needs to be changed.
>> Its very rare but sometimes I've seen jumper not
>> make proper contact with the pins on the drive.
>> But if the BIOS doesn't see the drive then XP will
>> never see it.
>>
>> Jim M
>>
>> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > jumper on the harddisk is set correctly.
>> >
>> > I also tried to disconnect the harddisk from the motherboard and just
>> > boot
>> > from the CD. I expect The Welcome to Setup screen would be shown and XP
>> > would
>> > complaint "Harddisk was not found" when I selected to install XP.
>> > However,
>> > the screen did not be shown and the same error occurred. I thus assume
>> > the
>> > error should not be caused by the harddisk.
>> >
>> > Calvin

Calvin

After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as Primary
IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I could
see the hard drive for my selection.

This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen and
the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the hard
drive could not be found and the action was aborted.

Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?

Calvin

"JBM" wrote:

> Try swapping where you have to CD and hard drive installed.
>
> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I can see the hard drive in the BIOS in Main Menu as Primary IDE Master.
> > However, I can't see the CD-ROM in the same menu of the BIOS. Not sure if
> > it's normal or not. But I could boot from CD-ROM anyway.
> >
> > Did anyone have experience on using ASUS P5GDC Deluxe motherboard with IDE
> > ATA hard drive? If yes, appreciate if you could advise me how you connect
> > your drives to the motherboard.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Calvin
> >
> > "JBM" wrote:
> >
> >> First thing I should have asked is can you see
> >> the hard drive in the BIOS?
> >> That what stop error 0x0000007B is telling you.
> >> Setup can't find the hard drive. If the jumper are
> >> set correctly then either the drive is bad or the
> >> cable or a setting in the BIOS needs to be changed.
> >> Its very rare but sometimes I've seen jumper not
> >> make proper contact with the pins on the drive.
> >> But if the BIOS doesn't see the drive then XP will
> >> never see it.
> >>
> >> Jim M
> >>
> >> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Can you connect the HD as Primary master and the CD as Secondary master?
I don't have this mother board and was just going by prev experience with
setting
up other boards. Hope fully someone that has this board will step in.
One other question is this a new hard drive or is it been used before on
your
older board?

Jim M

> After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as
> Primary
> IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I
> could
> see the hard drive for my selection.
>
> This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen
> and
> the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the hard
> drive could not be found and the action was aborted.
>
> Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?
>
> Calvin
>
> "JBM" wrote:
>
>> Try swapping where you have to CD and hard drive installed.
>>
>> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I can see the hard drive in the BIOS in Main Menu as Primary IDE Master.
>> > However, I can't see the CD-ROM in the same menu of the BIOS. Not sure
>> > if
>> > it's normal or not. But I could boot from CD-ROM anyway.
>> >
>> > Did anyone have experience on using ASUS P5GDC Deluxe motherboard with
>> > IDE
>> > ATA hard drive? If yes, appreciate if you could advise me how you
>> > connect
>> > your drives to the motherboard.
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Calvin

Calvin

For this motherboard, it has a Primary IDE connector (in blue) and two IDE
RAID connectors (in red). Devices connected to the Primary IDE connecter
would be detected as Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave. Devices
connected to the two IDE RAID connectors would be detected as Third/Forth IDE
Master/Slave.

For the 0x0000007B error case, I had connected the hard drive to the blue
connector as Primary IDE Master and the CD-ROM to the red connector.

The hard drive is an old one from my old PC with XP installed. I intend to
boot from CD-ROM to repair the XP in order to recognize the new hardware.

I also tried to use another hard drive with data only but not any XP
installed. The same error however occurred.

fyi, I am using XP SP1.

Calvin

"JBM" wrote:

> Can you connect the HD as Primary master and the CD as Secondary master?
> I don't have this mother board and was just going by prev experience with
> setting
> up other boards. Hope fully someone that has this board will step in.
> One other question is this a new hard drive or is it been used before on
> your
> older board?
>
> Jim M
>
> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as
> > Primary
> > IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I
> > could
> > see the hard drive for my selection.
> >
> > This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen
> > and
> > the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the hard
> > drive could not be found and the action was aborted.
> >
> > Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?
> >
> > Calvin
> >
> > "JBM" wrote:
> >
> >> Try swapping where you have to CD and hard drive installed.
> >>
> >> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I can't see why everything you've tried hasn't worked. How is the drive
formatted?
Have you tried booting with a dos floppy to see if it sees the drive. Run
fdisk
don't delete any partitions or anything because you'll lose your data, just
see
if it sees the drive. You didn't convert the drive to a dynamic disk on your
old machine
did you?

Jim M

> For this motherboard, it has a Primary IDE connector (in blue) and two IDE
> RAID connectors (in red). Devices connected to the Primary IDE connecter
> would be detected as Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave. Devices
> connected to the two IDE RAID connectors would be detected as Third/Forth
> IDE
> Master/Slave.
>
> For the 0x0000007B error case, I had connected the hard drive to the blue
> connector as Primary IDE Master and the CD-ROM to the red connector.
>
> The hard drive is an old one from my old PC with XP installed. I intend to
> boot from CD-ROM to repair the XP in order to recognize the new hardware.
>
> I also tried to use another hard drive with data only but not any XP
> installed. The same error however occurred.
>
> fyi, I am using XP SP1.
>
> Calvin
>
> "JBM" wrote:
>
>> Can you connect the HD as Primary master and the CD as Secondary master?
>> I don't have this mother board and was just going by prev experience with
>> setting
>> up other boards. Hope fully someone that has this board will step in.
>> One other question is this a new hard drive or is it been used before on
>> your
>> older board?
>>
>> Jim M
>>
>> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as
>> > Primary
>> > IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I
>> > could
>> > see the hard drive for my selection.
>> >
>> > This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen
>> > and
>> > the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the
>> > hard
>> > drive could not be found and the action was aborted.
>> >
>> > Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?
>> >
>> > Calvin

Len

Running a CD ROM off of a PCI controler does not usually work well! Most do
not work at all... Once you attached your hard drive to the SIIG (hate that
brand BTW) then you need to have a driver for that controler on a floppy to
use at the beginning of install when it says if you have a driver for an IDE
controler press F6. Without the driver XP will not see the drive.

So try setting up the same way as you mentioned in your last email - with
the drive on the PCI controler and the CD ROM on IDE, Press the F6 when
requested (very early in the install) and allow it to find the proper driver
for the PCI card. At that point you should be able to see the HD.

As an aside, if a drive of any type is connected to an add-on controler it
will not appear in the normal BIOS boot menu. It is not controled by the MB
BIOS but has its own and should show up in a seperate screen after loading
the MB BIOS.

Good Luck,
Len

"Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> For this motherboard, it has a Primary IDE connector (in blue) and two IDE
> RAID connectors (in red). Devices connected to the Primary IDE connecter
> would be detected as Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave. Devices
> connected to the two IDE RAID connectors would be detected as Third/Forth
> IDE
> Master/Slave.
>
> For the 0x0000007B error case, I had connected the hard drive to the blue
> connector as Primary IDE Master and the CD-ROM to the red connector.
>
> The hard drive is an old one from my old PC with XP installed. I intend to
> boot from CD-ROM to repair the XP in order to recognize the new hardware.
>
> I also tried to use another hard drive with data only but not any XP
> installed. The same error however occurred.
>
> fyi, I am using XP SP1.
>
> Calvin
>
> "JBM" wrote:
>
>> Can you connect the HD as Primary master and the CD as Secondary master?
>> I don't have this mother board and was just going by prev experience with
>> setting
>> up other boards. Hope fully someone that has this board will step in.
>> One other question is this a new hard drive or is it been used before on
>> your
>> older board?
>>
>> Jim M
>>
>> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as
>> > Primary
>> > IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I
>> > could
>> > see the hard drive for my selection.
>> >
>> > This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen
>> > and
>> > the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the
>> > hard
>> > drive could not be found and the action was aborted.
>> >
>> > Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?
>> >
>> > Calvin

I don't see where he said he's using a PCI (SIIG) controller.
But I think your right about F6 and I can't believe I missed that

Jim M

"Len" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Running a CD ROM off of a PCI controler does not usually work well! Most
> do not work at all... Once you attached your hard drive to the SIIG (hate
> that brand BTW) then you need to have a driver for that controler on a
> floppy to use at the beginning of install when it says if you have a
> driver for an IDE controler press F6. Without the driver XP will not see
> the drive.
>
> So try setting up the same way as you mentioned in your last email - with
> the drive on the PCI controler and the CD ROM on IDE, Press the F6 when
> requested (very early in the install) and allow it to find the proper
> driver for the PCI card. At that point you should be able to see the HD.
>
> As an aside, if a drive of any type is connected to an add-on controler it
> will not appear in the normal BIOS boot menu. It is not controled by the
> MB BIOS but has its own and should show up in a seperate screen after
>
> Good Luck,
> Len
>
> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> For this motherboard, it has a Primary IDE connector (in blue) and two
>> IDE
>> RAID connectors (in red). Devices connected to the Primary IDE connecter
>> would be detected as Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave. Devices
>> connected to the two IDE RAID connectors would be detected as Third/Forth
>> IDE
>> Master/Slave.
>>
>> For the 0x0000007B error case, I had connected the hard drive to the blue
>> connector as Primary IDE Master and the CD-ROM to the red connector.
>>
>> The hard drive is an old one from my old PC with XP installed. I intend
>> boot from CD-ROM to repair the XP in order to recognize the new hardware.
>>
>> I also tried to use another hard drive with data only but not any XP
>> installed. The same error however occurred.
>>
>> fyi, I am using XP SP1.
>>
>> Calvin
>>
>> "JBM" wrote:
>>
>>> Can you connect the HD as Primary master and the CD as Secondary master?
>>> I don't have this mother board and was just going by prev experience
>>> with
>>> setting
>>> up other boards. Hope fully someone that has this board will step in.
>>> One other question is this a new hard drive or is it been used before on
>>> your
>>> older board?
>>>
>>> Jim M
>>>
>>> "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

eddie

I got exactly the same problem as you. I am using ASUS P4GD1. The board has
one primary IDE (Blue) + two RAID IDE (Red). I really do not know what is
wrong with it? Anybody can help us?

Thanks

"Calvin" wrote:

> After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as Primary
> IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I could
> see the hard drive for my selection.
>
> This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen and
> the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the hard
> drive could not be found and the action was aborted.
>
> Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?
>
> Calvin
>
> "JBM" wrote:
>
> > Try swapping where you have to CD and hard drive installed.
> >
> > "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I can see the hard drive in the BIOS in Main Menu as Primary IDE Master.
> > > However, I can't see the CD-ROM in the same menu of the BIOS. Not sure if
> > > it's normal or not. But I could boot from CD-ROM anyway.
> > >
> > > Did anyone have experience on using ASUS P5GDC Deluxe motherboard with IDE
> > > ATA hard drive? If yes, appreciate if you could advise me how you connect
> > > your drives to the motherboard.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Calvin

eddie

I think this is related to the RAID chip, ITE8212F. Anyone know that how to
config. it?

Thanks

"Eddie" wrote:

> I got exactly the same problem as you. I am using ASUS P4GD1. The board has
> one primary IDE (Blue) + two RAID IDE (Red). I really do not know what is
> wrong with it? Anybody can help us?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Calvin" wrote:
>
> > After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as Primary
> > IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I could
> > see the hard drive for my selection.
> >
> > This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen and
> > the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the hard
> > drive could not be found and the action was aborted.
> >
> > Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?
> >
> > Calvin
> >
> > "JBM" wrote:
> >
> > > Try swapping where you have to CD and hard drive installed.
> > >
> > > "Calvin" <Calvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

xfile

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

Hi,

No sure but just a guess.

Why not try to put everything back to default and give it a try - HD as the
primary IDE master and CD/DVD-ROM as the secondary IDE master.

Load BIOS setup default, and turn off all "advanced" settings, such as RAID.

Just for your reference and good luck.

"Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:75D27C4E-2D2B-4876-85FC-39E1694FD191@microsoft.com...
>I think this is related to the RAID chip, ITE8212F. Anyone know that how to
> config. it?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Eddie" wrote:
>
>> I got exactly the same problem as you. I am using ASUS P4GD1. The board
>> has
>> one primary IDE (Blue) + two RAID IDE (Red). I really do not know what is
>> wrong with it? Anybody can help us?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "Calvin" wrote:
>>
>> > After the swapping, I could see the CD-ROM in the BIOS Main Menu as
>> > Primary
>> > IDE Master but not any hard drive. From the BIOS Boot menu, however, I
>> > could
>> > see the hard drive for my selection.
>> >
>> > This time I could boot from CD-ROM successfully without the blue screen
>> > and
>> > the error. But when I tried to press ENTER to install XP, XP said the
>> > hard
>> > drive could not be found and the action was aborted.
>> >
>> > Quit disappointed about the new motherboard. What else should I try?
>> >
>> > Calvin

LEGOpanek

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
Got the same problem, 1 ATA, 1 SATA, 1 CD ROM, 1 FD Drive.. Please help.. Btw I am now stuck at the BSOD 0x0000007b but I was in the part where inst. cd of xp says that there is no working HDD, too. Please help. I can see everything in BIOS.