Cannot Print Test Page on HP Printer

I have an HP G Series printer hanging-off a Windows 2000 Professional
system. I am tring to connect to the printer from my XP machine. I
am able to connect to the printer. When I print a test page I see the
test appear briefly on the 2000 system but it does not print. I go
through the printer troubleshooting questions on the XP but it does
not provide the appropriate help. The printer is set to a port called
DOT4_001 on the XP machine. Can anyone provide additional help?

Thanks,
Kurt Laughbaum
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot print test page printer

    Uninstall the printer completely. Uninstall the printer hardware and drivers
    from the properties of My Computer.

    Install it properly following the installation instructions for that
    printer. For many of these models there is a sequence during the
    installation to when the printer should be connected. Normally you will
    connect the printer after the software and drivers are installed to the
    operating system.

    When using XP, it is important that the software and drivers are for XP. If
    the printer utilities you are installing are more than about a year or two
    old, I would suggest downloading the latest version of them from HP. Many of
    the older printer and screen software's have problems with XP.

    If you want the default drivers from XP, just start the computer, and then
    connect the printer to the USB port while both printer and computer are
    powered up. This should normally work, but the extra options for the printer
    may be limited.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "Kurt Laughbaum" <kurtlaughbaum@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    I have an HP G Series printer hanging-off a Windows 2000 Professional
    system. I am tring to connect to the printer from my XP machine. I
    am able to connect to the printer. When I print a test page I see the
    test appear briefly on the 2000 system but it does not print. I go
    through the printer troubleshooting questions on the XP but it does
    not provide the appropriate help. The printer is set to a port called
    DOT4_001 on the XP machine. Can anyone provide additional help?

    Thanks,
    Kurt Laughbaum
  2. You must uninstall the printer driver from control panel. Printer utility which you installed may be old. I would suggest you that download latest version and install it. That might solve your problem.
    Bert

    Wide Circles

Printers Connection Hewlett Packard Windows XP Peripherals HP Printers