Anyone Overclock VA503+/500 MHz Successfully?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I've been running my VA-503+ with a K6-2 500MHz just fine for a couple
of years now. But I'm wondering if I can squeeze any more performance
out of it before I mothball it and build a new A64 system. Currently
running stable at fsb 100MHz, 5.0x multiplier, 2.2V.

kyle

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Those CPUs ran real hot, and were not good overclockers. I tried with
mine, and had no success.

--
Best regards,
Kyle
"rog344" <rog4455nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I've been running my VA-503+ with a K6-2 500MHz just fine for a
couple
| of years now. But I'm wondering if I can squeeze any more
performance
| out of it before I mothball it and build a new A64 system. Currently
| running stable at fsb 100MHz, 5.0x multiplier, 2.2V.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

try using the 112 MHz fsb and a lower multiplier like 112 x 4.5, that
would help some. also another way to squeeze performance is to use a IDE
controller card like the Promise Ultra 66 or 100, they really do help.

rog344 wrote:
> I've been running my VA-503+ with a K6-2 500MHz just fine for a couple
> of years now. But I'm wondering if I can squeeze any more performance
> out of it before I mothball it and build a new A64 system. Currently
> running stable at fsb 100MHz, 5.0x multiplier, 2.2V.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

If you use a 112MHz FSB you better use a Promise IDE controller card (one of
the ones rated at PCI bus speeds of 66Mhz or less) or you're guaranteed to
get hard drive corruption by running the PCI bus out-of-spec.

--
there is no .sig

Doug wrote:
> If you use a 112MHz FSB you better use a Promise IDE controller card (one of
> the ones rated at PCI bus speeds of 66Mhz or less) or you're guaranteed to
> get hard drive corruption by running the PCI bus out-of-spec.

I agree, but not all hard drives will show data corruption.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Most hard drives will be corrupted. Who wants to take the chance of finding
out? Not me.

--
there is no .sig

Doug wrote:

> Most hard drives will be corrupted. Who wants to take the chance of finding
> out? Not me.

chicken, what are computers for anyway ? you have to learn to take
chances. the user could do a clean install, if that works and esp if a
defrag works then you are good to go. it would only be slightly out of
spec anyway. many people have done it, go for it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

LOL. I guess it depends on what you use a computer for. A little
corruption or instability might not be a big deal for a gamer or someone
who just surfs the web, for instance, but it would certainly be a big
deal for a server at a bank or accounting firm. Everybody has his or
her own comfort level.

farmuse wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>
>> Most hard drives will be corrupted. Who wants to take the chance of
>> finding out? Not me.
>>
> chicken, what are computers for anyway ? you have to learn to take
> chances. the user could do a clean install, if that works and esp if a
> defrag works then you are good to go. it would only be slightly out of
> spec anyway. many people have done it, go for it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

yeah I agree, I would not recommend to a customer, but I abuse my
computers pretty good and they tolerate it pretty well. I have only had
one that showed data corruption after raising the fsb to 140 or so, that
was a Soyo Dragon Plus with a 133 fsb, there were no dividers to keep
the PCI and AGP within spec, and I learned the hard way. Registry became
corrupt, and I had to reformat. I do run others at 138 MHz fsb, no
problems. I guess a 112 fsb on a 503+ would make the PCI run at 37 MHz
and the AGP higher too, thus the suggestion to only try with a clean
install, that way you wouldn't loose anything. But I know it can be done.

Alex Zorrilla wrote:
> LOL. I guess it depends on what you use a computer for. A little
> corruption or instability might not be a big deal for a gamer or someone
> who just surfs the web, for instance, but it would certainly be a big
> deal for a server at a bank or accounting firm. Everybody has his or
> her own comfort level.

maddog1265

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Hello all, I guess it's not much of an overclock story but I still have an old rig with a K6-2+ 550Mhz cpu that has been running at 600Mhz for a few years now.
The voltage is at 2.1v and the jumpers are at 6.0(2.0)x100Mhz. I have the biggest PIII HSF I could find to fit the cpu. I have had rock solid performance with a couple of sticks of Viking 256-PC-133 Dimms, an ATI Radeon 64MB(Agp) and a Seagate 'cuda running Win98 and XP-Pro later on.
I have tried different adjustments to the voltage, fsb and mult. with moderate success. My experience with this board and an Asus P5A-B has been that anything over 600Mhz ends up with a hiccup somewhere down the road.
As others have mentioned its risky to the data and to the hardware but both rigs have been trouble free at 600Mhz.
Happy New Year...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The board is kind of crap for overclocking, but I have good news!

The K6-2 is EXTREMELY TOLLERANT of higher voltage. In fact, some K6-2's were factory perscribed for 2.4v!

More good news, the 2x multiplier will give you 6x, the CPU does the conversion.

Now, the first thing I'd try is 2.5v and 5.5x. If that's stable, I'd try 2x=6x.

You're going to need GOOD cooling, I've often used the big PIII coolers with great sucess.