Memory issues

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

I'm trying to use 512MB of PC100 DIMM modules, but i'm not managing to get
it right. I believe it's because the memory modules i'm using are too new,
but i'm just guessing... I've tryed a
"very-dense-one-side-memory-chip(infineon i believe)-256MB-module" and a
"double-side-chip(c-tech chips)-256MB-module" and both failed, but i may
be doing something else worng... Can anybody give me some hints on this
matter? Thanks!

Mariano wrote:
> I'm trying to use 512MB of PC100 DIMM modules, but i'm not managing to get
> it right. I believe it's because the memory modules i'm using are too new,
> but i'm just guessing... I've tryed a
> "very-dense-one-side-memory-chip(infineon i believe)-256MB-module" and a
> "double-side-chip(c-tech chips)-256MB-module" and both failed, but i may
> be doing something else worng... Can anybody give me some hints on this
> matter? Thanks!

need more information, please list all computer components

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hi, Mariano.

Farmuse is right. It would help to know which motherboard you are
using. If it is something like a VA-503+ (since that is the most common
motherboard on this newsgroup), then the individual memory chips cannot
be larger than 16 MB. For example, if you have a 256 MB DIMM, then it
must consist of 16 chips, each of which is 16 MB. That would make it
double-sided, with 8 chips on each side.

Some motherboards have different limitations. As a general rule of
thumb, if the motherboard can support only CPUs with an FSB of 100 MHz,
then the limit is usually 16 MB/chip. If the motherboard can support
CPUs with an FSB of 133 MHz, then the limit is usually 32 MB/chip. If
the motherboard can support only 66 MHz FSB, then it varies.

Again, more information about your computer or motherboard would help,
but those are just general guidelines.

--Alex