Problem: Switched from 8IK1100 v1 motherboard to the versi..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

I'm out of ideas. I just swapped out my Gigabyte motherboard (model
no. 8IK1100 ver 1; blown capacitor) and replaced it with the newer
Version 2 model of the same motherboard.

Now, Windows XP Pro (Serv Pack 1) doesn't recognize the onboard sound
chip (Realtek AC97) at all. All else is normal.

I've tried loading the drivers again (latest from the Web), but it
doesn't fix the problem. The drivers on the CD don't t fix the prob
either.

What worries me most... the PC doesn't seem to realize I have the
onboard sound chip at all - when I open up the 'Sounds and Audio
devices' control pannel in WinXP, the AC97 sound chip isn't even
listed as an option. I've also tried 'Detect New Hardware' - still no
go.

Any ideas? I had no problems with the previous ver1 mb.

Best,
J Greenman
Detroit

(Fyi, I have another sound card in the machine. It's functioning
normally - it's a Hammerfall PCI sound card (not Soundblaster
compatible; it's used for professional multitrack recording & is not
designed to playback basic computer audio like games & mp3s, etc.)
9 answers Last reply
More about problem switched 8ik1100 motherboard versi
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Is your onboard sound enabled in your BIOS? Also, the revision 2 board has
    a newer 658 soundchip instead of the 655 chip on the revision 1 board. You
    might be forced to do a repair install of Windows XP since you do have a new
    motherboard and BIOS.

    Russell

    "Joe Greenman" <joegreenman@southsound.com> wrote in message
    > I'm out of ideas. I just swapped out my Gigabyte motherboard (model
    > no. 8IK1100 ver 1; blown capacitor) and replaced it with the newer
    > Version 2 model of the same motherboard.
    >
    > Now, Windows XP Pro (Serv Pack 1) doesn't recognize the onboard sound
    > chip (Realtek AC97) at all. All else is normal.
    >
    > I've tried loading the drivers again (latest from the Web), but it
    > doesn't fix the problem. The drivers on the CD don't t fix the prob
    > either.
    >
    > What worries me most... the PC doesn't seem to realize I have the
    > onboard sound chip at all - when I open up the 'Sounds and Audio
    > devices' control pannel in WinXP, the AC97 sound chip isn't even
    > listed as an option. I've also tried 'Detect New Hardware' - still no
    > go.
    >
    > Any ideas? I had no problems with the previous ver1 mb.
    >
    > Best,
    > J Greenman
    > Detroit
    >
    > (Fyi, I have another sound card in the machine. It's functioning
    > normally - it's a Hammerfall PCI sound card (not Soundblaster
    > compatible; it's used for professional multitrack recording & is not
    > designed to playback basic computer audio like games & mp3s, etc.)
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    "Russell" wrote...
    > Is your onboard sound enabled in your BIOS? Also, the revision 2 board has
    > a newer 658 soundchip instead of the 655 chip on the revision 1 board. You
    > might be forced to do a repair install of Windows XP since you do have a new
    > motherboard and BIOS.

    Yep, onboard sound is enabled. It just occured to me that I haven't
    re-loaded the new (?) Intel chipset drivers (the ones that came with
    the rev 2 mb; rev 1 chipset drivers are installed, of course,
    already). Perhaps that's all that's needed?

    Or, I might try removing my PCI sound card and see if the system
    auto-recognizes the soundchip. (Then I'd reinstall the PCI card.)

    Otherwise... it's off to do a Repair Install (grrr).

    joe
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Joe,

    Do a repair - they're easy. Make sure you resintall mobo drivers, all other
    drivers, and Windows XP SP1 as well (if it is not already on your setup CD).

    - Tim

    > "Russell" wrote...
    > > Is your onboard sound enabled in your BIOS? Also, the revision 2 board
    has
    > > a newer 658 soundchip instead of the 655 chip on the revision 1 board.
    You
    > > might be forced to do a repair install of Windows XP since you do have a
    new
    > > motherboard and BIOS.
    >
    > Yep, onboard sound is enabled. It just occured to me that I haven't
    > re-loaded the new (?) Intel chipset drivers (the ones that came with
    > the rev 2 mb; rev 1 chipset drivers are installed, of course,
    > already). Perhaps that's all that's needed?
    >
    > Or, I might try removing my PCI sound card and see if the system
    > auto-recognizes the soundchip. (Then I'd reinstall the PCI card.)
    >
    > Otherwise... it's off to do a Repair Install (grrr).
    >
    > joe
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:05:18 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

    >Joe,
    >
    >Do a repair - they're easy. Make sure you resintall mobo drivers, all other
    >drivers, and Windows XP SP1 as well (if it is not already on your setup CD).
    >
    >- Tim

    Do a repair install when the whole motherboard is the same except for the
    sound? Geeze, windows has made everyone brain-dead.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    So, what is the difference between the v1 mobo and the v2 mobo then?
    Is the bios identical? Is the bios interchangable between v1 and v2?
    Are all the chips on the mobo the same?
    Are all the chips initialised by the bios the same?
    If they are that similar, then why is it called a v2 mobo.
    Safest not to assume anything if you find things are not 100%.
    Assumptions belong to the brain dead.
    - Tim

    "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:05:18 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Joe,
    > >
    > >Do a repair - they're easy. Make sure you resintall mobo drivers, all
    other
    > >drivers, and Windows XP SP1 as well (if it is not already on your setup
    CD).

    > >- Tim
    >
    > Do a repair install when the whole motherboard is the same except for the
    > sound? Geeze, windows has made everyone brain-dead.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 20:39:14 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

    >So, what is the difference between the v1 mobo and the v2 mobo then?
    >Is the bios identical? Is the bios interchangable between v1 and v2?
    >Are all the chips on the mobo the same?

    yes

    >Are all the chips initialised by the bios the same?

    N/A

    >If they are that similar, then why is it called a v2 mobo.

    You mean instead of a different model name?
    Because they are that similar.

    >Safest not to assume anything if you find things are not 100%.

    Did you assume a repair install should be done?
    Might not be a safe assumption to make.

    >Assumptions belong to the brain dead.
    >- Tim

    Did you miss the part about "everything else is normal"?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Kony,

    You are referring to a minor version change.
    Don't confuse a V1 mobo with a V2 mobo.

    A minor revision is 1001 to 1002 or 1003.
    A version change is 1006 to 2001

    In a minor version change all the major (active - "visible" to the OS) chips
    will be the same, the bios will be the same and no OS repair is needed.
    In a major version change secondary chips such as onboard sound, nic, and
    other peripheral chips are usually the reason for change in the major
    version number. There could also be revisions in the major chips on the
    mobo. A minor version change is like a bug fix - the layout might be
    improved, power regulator chips may change - things that are inconsequential
    to the bios but either improve stability, reduce manufacturing costs or
    reflect a new version in some minor chip EG voltage regulator.

    Even on a minor version change mobo, there can be significant differences in
    functionality arise over time where the supported OS, CPU's and so on can
    change. This is likely to span several minor version numbers and be well
    know - personally I think these should be reflected with changes in the
    major version number.

    If you would like to try your theories out and have lots of spare dosh then
    I suggest getting a V1 8KNXP and a V2 8KNXP and swap the bios's over. I am
    not about to do it on mine.

    So, I will hold to my statement: if there is a major change in mobo revision
    level, expect to have to do a repair - it may not be needed, but it might
    and it is easy.

    > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 20:39:14 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >So, what is the difference between the v1 mobo and the v2 mobo then?
    > >Is the bios identical? Is the bios interchangable between v1 and v2?
    > >Are all the chips on the mobo the same?
    >
    > yes
    >
    > >Are all the chips initialised by the bios the same?
    >
    > N/A
    >
    > >If they are that similar, then why is it called a v2 mobo.
    >
    > You mean instead of a different model name?
    > Because they are that similar.
    >
    > >Safest not to assume anything if you find things are not 100%.
    >
    > Did you assume a repair install should be done?
    > Might not be a safe assumption to make.
    >
    > >Assumptions belong to the brain dead.
    > >- Tim
    >
    > Did you miss the part about "everything else is normal"?
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 20:17:49 +1200, "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote:

    >Kony,
    >
    >You are referring to a minor version change.
    >Don't confuse a V1 mobo with a V2 mobo.
    >
    >A minor revision is 1001 to 1002 or 1003.
    >A version change is 1006 to 2001
    >
    >In a minor version change all the major (active - "visible" to the OS) chips
    >will be the same, the bios will be the same and no OS repair is needed.
    >In a major version change secondary chips such as onboard sound, nic, and
    >other peripheral chips are usually the reason for change in the major
    >version number. There could also be revisions in the major chips on the
    >mobo. A minor version change is like a bug fix - the layout might be
    >improved, power regulator chips may change - things that are inconsequential
    >to the bios but either improve stability, reduce manufacturing costs or
    >reflect a new version in some minor chip EG voltage regulator.
    >
    >Even on a minor version change mobo, there can be significant differences in
    >functionality arise over time where the supported OS, CPU's and so on can
    >change. This is likely to span several minor version numbers and be well
    >know - personally I think these should be reflected with changes in the
    >major version number.
    >
    >If you would like to try your theories out and have lots of spare dosh then
    >I suggest getting a V1 8KNXP and a V2 8KNXP and swap the bios's over. I am
    >not about to do it on mine.
    >
    >So, I will hold to my statement: if there is a major change in mobo revision
    >level, expect to have to do a repair - it may not be needed, but it might
    >and it is easy.

    The issue of whether a repair is needed is primarily one of whether the
    board will boot to the OS, at which point you can SEE what's going on,
    change drivers, etc. At this point in the thread we already knew the box
    would boot windows, it is now no different than troubleshooting any other
    similar (sound card) issue. Would you do a repair install of an OS each
    time you install new hardware, keeping in mind that you still need the
    driver anyway, either way?

    A repair install is just a waste of time unless it's needed. A system
    that can boot to the desktop shouldn't need one unless the user simply
    "gives up", but again, repair doesn't necessarily eliminate the same
    scenario as prior to the repair, a viable driver.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

    Remove the sound card, go into bios and enable the sound chip, then go to
    device manager and remove and reinstall the device.

    KK

    "Joe Greenman" <joegreenman@southsound.com> wrote in message
    > I'm out of ideas. I just swapped out my Gigabyte motherboard (model
    > no. 8IK1100 ver 1; blown capacitor) and replaced it with the newer
    > Version 2 model of the same motherboard.
    >
    > Now, Windows XP Pro (Serv Pack 1) doesn't recognize the onboard sound
    > chip (Realtek AC97) at all. All else is normal.
    >
    > I've tried loading the drivers again (latest from the Web), but it
    > doesn't fix the problem. The drivers on the CD don't t fix the prob
    > either.
    >
    > What worries me most... the PC doesn't seem to realize I have the
    > onboard sound chip at all - when I open up the 'Sounds and Audio
    > devices' control pannel in WinXP, the AC97 sound chip isn't even
    > listed as an option. I've also tried 'Detect New Hardware' - still no
    > go.
    >
    > Any ideas? I had no problems with the previous ver1 mb.
    >
    > Best,
    > J Greenman
    > Detroit
    >
    > (Fyi, I have another sound card in the machine. It's functioning
    > normally - it's a Hammerfall PCI sound card (not Soundblaster
    > compatible; it's used for professional multitrack recording & is not
    > designed to playback basic computer audio like games & mp3s, etc.)

Gigabyte Motherboards