Printing Orange with Epson R300

I have to print CDs which are pure Orange in colour. Using R = 255, G=127,
B = 0 gives a pure orange display, however whatever I try to do to correct
the problem, the output is more like a Peach colour (pastel orange?) Is this
an unmatchable colour using an inkjet? I have a similar problem with primary
red - it is more like a salmon colour. Anyone know if this is an unsolveable
issue, and I have to tell my client that's as close as it gets.
Regards
Martin
6 answers Last reply
More about printing orange epson r300

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:05:34 +0000 (UTC), in comp.periphs.printers, "Tommy
    T" <Martin_Tetlow@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >I have to print CDs which are pure Orange in colour. Using R = 255, G=127,
    >B = 0 gives a pure orange display, however whatever I try to do to correct
    >the problem, the output is more like a Peach colour (pastel orange?) Is this
    >an unmatchable colour using an inkjet? I have a similar problem with primary
    >red - it is more like a salmon colour. Anyone know if this is an unsolveable
    >issue, and I have to tell my client that's as close as it gets.

    Drawing on an orange background on the screen is not the same as spraying
    ink onto an already orange surface. On screen, it shows the colour as a
    perfect cover. In practice, spraying ink onto an orange surface allows
    the orange to show through.

    Try setting an orange layer of 100% opacity then draw on a new layer with
    an opacity set to show similar results to what you get when printing.
    This will allow you to work on screen and see what the actual output will
    look like, approximately.

    You're best bet is probably to assume a black and "white" image where the
    orange surface will be your "white"

    Dave

    --
    xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it every day.

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:09:11 GMT, Dave <xtalsinger@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Drawing on an orange background on the screen is not the same as spraying
    >ink onto an already orange surface. On screen, it shows the colour as a
    >perfect cover. In practice, spraying ink onto an orange surface allows
    >the orange to show through.
    >
    >Try setting an orange layer of 100% opacity then draw on a new layer with
    >an opacity set to show similar results to what you get when printing.
    >This will allow you to work on screen and see what the actual output will
    >look like, approximately.
    >
    >You're best bet is probably to assume a black and "white" image where the
    >orange surface will be your "white"
    >
    >Dave

    I thought he meant the cd's were orange to begin with also, but after
    reading it several times, I think he meant what he wants to print is
    pure orange and coming out pastel.

    correct me if im wrong as this would be a different ballgame

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:44:30 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers, beezer
    <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:

    >I thought he meant the cd's were orange to begin with also, but after
    >reading it several times, I think he meant what he wants to print is
    >pure orange and coming out pastel.
    >
    >correct me if im wrong as this would be a different ballgame

    You might well be right. A more carefull reading does seem to indicate
    that. I probably got caught out by the fact there's a spindle full of
    orange label DVDs right in front of me now. Amazing what a little
    auto-suggestion can do to the thought processes <g>

    It looks like the OP needs to make sure his screen and printer are set up
    properly with profiles or whatever. With a colour difference as wide as
    he implies, I'd think that either he's got some very poor/cheap ink in
    that printer or, more likely, the screen is not set up correctly., ie too
    dark so what looks like orange on his screen is actually salmon pink.

    There's a page at http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm which goes into
    screen gamma setup and gives a fairly accurate example of what I think is
    happening to the OP as regards the orange.

    Dave

    --

    On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:15:45 GMT, Dave <xtalsinger@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:44:30 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers, beezer
    ><beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:
    >
    >>I thought he meant the cd's were orange to begin with also, but after
    >>reading it several times, I think he meant what he wants to print is
    >>pure orange and coming out pastel.
    >>
    >>correct me if im wrong as this would be a different ballgame
    >
    >You might well be right. A more carefull reading does seem to indicate
    >that. I probably got caught out by the fact there's a spindle full of
    >orange label DVDs right in front of me now. Amazing what a little
    >auto-suggestion can do to the thought processes <g>
    >
    >It looks like the OP needs to make sure his screen and printer are set up
    >properly with profiles or whatever. With a colour difference as wide as
    >he implies, I'd think that either he's got some very poor/cheap ink in
    >that printer or, more likely, the screen is not set up correctly., ie too
    >dark so what looks like orange on his screen is actually salmon pink.
    >

    >There's a page at http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm which goes into
    >screen gamma setup and gives a fairly accurate example of what I think is
    >happening to the OP as regards the orange.
    >

    >Dave

    Great info Dave. I know I visited that site within the last couple
    years. Overall my gamma was fairly accurate with the adobe gamma but
    the bright grays needed to be neutralized and my blackpoint was a bit
    off as well....

    I ended up using a 2.0 gamma and my contrast was set too high and
    blowing out the high shade grays with color. Overall I got things
    neutralized pretty well

    thanks again

    Thanks for the suggestions, you are correct in that I am printing on Ritek
    white printable CD's. I am ignoring the screen colour in this - and in fact
    today I tried the same thing on my Epson 950 and got the same problem. It
    looks like orange until you compare it with the output from my Xerox 8400 or
    a colour laser print. It then has a pastel tinge to it. I'm starting tom
    think it could be a colour space problem in that Epsons print using RGB, an
    if you look at the colour gamut compared to pure CMYK it doesn't quite reach
    the saturation needed. (Adobe have a page on this on their site). I think it
    might need a different driver to get what I'm looking for - can anyone help?
    P.S. I print around 2500 disks a week, both CD and DVD on various types of
    media using these Epson R300/200 printers. The only problem is the plastic
    CD trays wear out!
    Regards
    Martin

    "Dave" <xtalsinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:44:30 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers, beezer
    > <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:
    >
    > >I thought he meant the cd's were orange to begin with also, but after
    > >reading it several times, I think he meant what he wants to print is
    > >pure orange and coming out pastel.
    > >
    > >correct me if im wrong as this would be a different ballgame
    >
    > You might well be right. A more carefull reading does seem to indicate
    > that. I probably got caught out by the fact there's a spindle full of
    > orange label DVDs right in front of me now. Amazing what a little
    > auto-suggestion can do to the thought processes <g>
    >
    > It looks like the OP needs to make sure his screen and printer are set up
    > properly with profiles or whatever. With a colour difference as wide as
    > he implies, I'd think that either he's got some very poor/cheap ink in
    > that printer or, more likely, the screen is not set up correctly., ie too
    > dark so what looks like orange on his screen is actually salmon pink.
    >

    > There's a page at http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm which goes into
    > screen gamma setup and gives a fairly accurate example of what I think is
    > happening to the OP as regards the orange.
    >

    > Dave
    >
    > --
    > xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it
    every day.

    Looking at purchasing the R200 for DVD's and CD's hows the quility?, and what
    DVD's do you print on?

    Thanks
    Jim

    Tommy T wrote:

    > Thanks for the suggestions, you are correct in that I am printing on Ritek
    > white printable CD's. I am ignoring the screen colour in this - and in fact
    > today I tried the same thing on my Epson 950 and got the same problem. It
    > looks like orange until you compare it with the output from my Xerox 8400 or
    > a colour laser print. It then has a pastel tinge to it. I'm starting tom
    > think it could be a colour space problem in that Epsons print using RGB, an
    > if you look at the colour gamut compared to pure CMYK it doesn't quite reach
    > the saturation needed. (Adobe have a page on this on their site). I think it
    > might need a different driver to get what I'm looking for - can anyone help?
    > P.S. I print around 2500 disks a week, both CD and DVD on various types of
    > media using these Epson R300/200 printers. The only problem is the plastic
    > CD trays wear out!
    > Regards
    > Martin
    >
    > "Dave" <xtalsinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:44:30 -0400, in comp.periphs.printers, beezer
    > > <beezer@rezeeb.moc> wrote:
    > >
    > > >I thought he meant the cd's were orange to begin with also, but after
    > > >reading it several times, I think he meant what he wants to print is
    > > >pure orange and coming out pastel.
    > > >
    > > >correct me if im wrong as this would be a different ballgame
    > >
    > > You might well be right. A more carefull reading does seem to indicate
    > > that. I probably got caught out by the fact there's a spindle full of
    > > orange label DVDs right in front of me now. Amazing what a little
    > > auto-suggestion can do to the thought processes <g>
    > >
    > > It looks like the OP needs to make sure his screen and printer are set up
    > > properly with profiles or whatever. With a colour difference as wide as
    > > he implies, I'd think that either he's got some very poor/cheap ink in
    > > that printer or, more likely, the screen is not set up correctly., ie too
    > > dark so what looks like orange on his screen is actually salmon pink.
    > >

    > > There's a page at http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm which goes into
    > > screen gamma setup and gives a fairly accurate example of what I think is
    > > happening to the OP as regards the orange.
    > >

    > > Dave
    > >
    > > --
    > > xtalsinger@yahoo.com is a valid reply-to address but I don't check it
    > every day.