data recovery from re-imaged drive

I sent my HP Pavilion ZT3000 laptop in to the HP Service
Center this week to have them replace the keyboard. In
addition to doing so, they reformatted the hard drive.
What is the easiest and cheapest way to get my data back?

(Help, hundreds of hours of work and my senior thesis
notes are on the line!)

Thanks!

Hi

Their is none really, and you should have backed up your
data before sending it to HP. It will cost you to get
your data recovered,

Alvin

aden wrote:

> I sent my HP Pavilion ZT3000 laptop in to the HP Service
> Center this week to have them replace the keyboard. In
> addition to doing so, they reformatted the hard drive.
> What is the easiest and cheapest way to get my data back?
>
> (Help, hundreds of hours of work and my senior thesis
> notes are on the line!)
>
> Thanks!

If possible it may be expensive:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/datrec.htm

In the future ALWAYS have back-ups of important data.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

aden wrote:
> I sent my HP Pavilion ZT3000 laptop in to the HP Service
> Center this week to have them replace the keyboard. In
> addition to doing so, they reformatted the hard drive.
> What is the easiest and cheapest way to get my data back?
>
> (Help, hundreds of hours of work and my senior thesis
> notes are on the line!)
>
> Thanks!

Sorry, zero sympathy here - if the work was that important you should have
backed it up. But, because of your lacksadaisical attitude to basic PC
maintenance (for want of a better word) you will now have to retype the
whole lot. It's your own fault, and I hope your lecturer/tutor isn't silly
enough to give you an extension. You deserve to receive an F or U because of
your sheer stupidity. I back up to an external drive once a week. I strongly
recommend you do the same.

lose his marbles?

You might ask HP for support, since you had no reason to expect them to
reformat a PC as part of a keyboard fix. (However, they may tell you that
the fine print in the warrantee permits them to do this.)

Otherwise, if you have a paper copy, you could get it scanned and OCRed to
recover most of the text.

Bob Harris wrote:
> You might ask HP for support, since you had no reason to expect them
> to reformat a PC as part of a keyboard fix. (However, they may tell
> you that the fine print in the warrantee permits them to do this.)
>
> Otherwise, if you have a paper copy, you could get it scanned and
> OCRed to recover most of the text.

Paper copy?! Yeah, right, as if! You think someone as moronic as this would
be clever enough to actually take a hard copy?!
lose his marbles?