Installation File - Corruption

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

I'm having a problem with my computer running Windows XP. Machine
configuration is Giga-byte GA-8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard with 1GB
Kingston HyperX memory, 2 120 GB harddrives, Nvidia TI4600 video card,
Sound Blaster Live Platinum Soundcard. Background programs include
McAfee VirusScan Professional 8.0, Spamkiller 5.0 and Zonelabs
firewall version 4.0.

Windows XP is now a fresh install and is updated to SP1 and all other
recent patches. I've had the following problem with both my previous
installation and the current installation.

The problem I am having is the system routinely reports corrupted .CAB
and other installation files when I try to install them. The same
file will install without problems on other machines within my house.
Error messages will vary depending on the application being installed,
but generally the installation program (either installshield or other)
will report that the file being extracted does not match that within
the .CAB file or that the .CAB file is corrupted. I sometimes get
this when installing from the CD or DVD drive as well as items
installed from the harddrive such as patches or updates. The problem
seems to be more prevalent on items being installed from the
harddrive, however.

I've re-installed the operating system, chkdsk'd and defragged the
harddrive, run virus scanners, security programs to check for spyware,
re-installed all applications, run registry correction utilities,
changed harddrive and cdrom cables, disabled all background programs
including virus scanners and cursed a bit. None of this has really
helped.

Any ideas? Could this be a memory problem?

Thanks,
Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about installation file corruption
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Dave,

    Make sure in BIOS: Top Performance is Disabled !
    If it was enabled before, check out wether your system still reports
    corrupted .CAB and other installation files when you try to install them.

    If you suspect memory, have it checked by:
    - Microsoft's WinDiag (press Pause, select Extended Tests and Map)
    - DocMem at www.simmtester.com
    Run both tests with case closed for several hours.

    HTH,
    john7

    "Dave.US" <davesaunders@REMOVEqx.net> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem with my computer running Windows XP. Machine
    > configuration is Giga-byte GA-8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard with 1GB
    > Kingston HyperX memory, 2 120 GB harddrives, Nvidia TI4600 video card,
    > Sound Blaster Live Platinum Soundcard. Background programs include
    > McAfee VirusScan Professional 8.0, Spamkiller 5.0 and Zonelabs
    > firewall version 4.0.
    >
    > Windows XP is now a fresh install and is updated to SP1 and all other
    > recent patches. I've had the following problem with both my previous
    > installation and the current installation.
    >
    > The problem I am having is the system routinely reports corrupted .CAB
    > and other installation files when I try to install them. The same
    > file will install without problems on other machines within my house.
    > Error messages will vary depending on the application being installed,
    > but generally the installation program (either installshield or other)
    > will report that the file being extracted does not match that within
    > the .CAB file or that the .CAB file is corrupted. I sometimes get
    > this when installing from the CD or DVD drive as well as items
    > installed from the harddrive such as patches or updates. The problem
    > seems to be more prevalent on items being installed from the
    > harddrive, however.
    >
    > I've re-installed the operating system, chkdsk'd and defragged the
    > harddrive, run virus scanners, security programs to check for spyware,
    > re-installed all applications, run registry correction utilities,
    > changed harddrive and cdrom cables, disabled all background programs
    > including virus scanners and cursed a bit. None of this has really
    > helped.
    >
    > Any ideas? Could this be a memory problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    I am getting the exact same problem with a Giga-byte GA-7N400 Pro2. No
    matter what program or game I'm installing, I get this same error
    message saying I need a ".CAB file to continue or it's corrupt, or the
    CD-rom, network, etc. is not working." I've updated to the latest
    nforce2 drivers, but I'm still encountering problems installing stuff.
    I'm running an AMD Barton 2500+; 512MBx2 PDP Systems 400MhzDDR RAM;
    Radeon9800Pro; a Seagate SATA 160GB config'd as BASE on Windows XP
    SP1. I've set the jumpers and bios to auto so it clocks the CPU as a
    3200+ runing at 2.1GHz. Is this the problem? Power supply is adequate
    (Antect True Power 430) and the DVD drives are fine. What is going on
    here? I moved away from VIA (old KT133A) thinking the Nvidia chipset
    was a lot more stable, but I'm having worse problems. HELP!

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 00:41:02 GMT, Dave.US <davesaunders@REMOVEqx.net>
    wrote:

    >I'm having a problem with my computer running Windows XP. Machine
    >configuration is Giga-byte GA-8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard with 1GB
    >Kingston HyperX memory, 2 120 GB harddrives, Nvidia TI4600 video card,
    >Sound Blaster Live Platinum Soundcard. Background programs include
    >McAfee VirusScan Professional 8.0, Spamkiller 5.0 and Zonelabs
    >firewall version 4.0.
    >
    >Windows XP is now a fresh install and is updated to SP1 and all other
    >recent patches. I've had the following problem with both my previous
    >installation and the current installation.
    >
    >The problem I am having is the system routinely reports corrupted .CAB
    >and other installation files when I try to install them. The same
    >file will install without problems on other machines within my house.
    >Error messages will vary depending on the application being installed,
    >but generally the installation program (either installshield or other)
    >will report that the file being extracted does not match that within
    >the .CAB file or that the .CAB file is corrupted. I sometimes get
    >this when installing from the CD or DVD drive as well as items
    >installed from the harddrive such as patches or updates. The problem
    >seems to be more prevalent on items being installed from the
    >harddrive, however.
    >
    >I've re-installed the operating system, chkdsk'd and defragged the
    >harddrive, run virus scanners, security programs to check for spyware,
    >re-installed all applications, run registry correction utilities,
    >changed harddrive and cdrom cables, disabled all background programs
    >including virus scanners and cursed a bit. None of this has really
    >helped.
    >
    >Any ideas? Could this be a memory problem?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Dave

    Don't ignore the possibility of memory issues. Of my two new sticks of 512
    megabyte Kinston value memory, one was bad. After it was removed, nearly
    all errors disappeared. Kinston couldn't send me new memory as current
    production no longer suuported my nanosecond rating, but they did repair it,
    and it is currenly installed. I'm using the GA-8KNXP Ultra MB.

    "orbitron" <~!@!.com> wrote in message
    > I am getting the exact same problem with a Giga-byte GA-7N400 Pro2. No
    > matter what program or game I'm installing, I get this same error
    > message saying I need a ".CAB file to continue or it's corrupt, or the
    > CD-rom, network, etc. is not working." I've updated to the latest
    > nforce2 drivers, but I'm still encountering problems installing stuff.
    > I'm running an AMD Barton 2500+; 512MBx2 PDP Systems 400MhzDDR RAM;
    > Radeon9800Pro; a Seagate SATA 160GB config'd as BASE on Windows XP
    > SP1. I've set the jumpers and bios to auto so it clocks the CPU as a
    > 3200+ runing at 2.1GHz. Is this the problem? Power supply is adequate
    > (Antect True Power 430) and the DVD drives are fine. What is going on
    > here? I moved away from VIA (old KT133A) thinking the Nvidia chipset
    > was a lot more stable, but I'm having worse problems. HELP!
    >
    > On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 00:41:02 GMT, Dave.US <davesaunders@REMOVEqx.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm having a problem with my computer running Windows XP. Machine
    > >configuration is Giga-byte GA-8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard with 1GB
    > >Kingston HyperX memory, 2 120 GB harddrives, Nvidia TI4600 video card,
    > >Sound Blaster Live Platinum Soundcard. Background programs include
    > >McAfee VirusScan Professional 8.0, Spamkiller 5.0 and Zonelabs
    > >firewall version 4.0.
    > >
    > >Windows XP is now a fresh install and is updated to SP1 and all other
    > >recent patches. I've had the following problem with both my previous
    > >installation and the current installation.
    > >
    > >The problem I am having is the system routinely reports corrupted .CAB
    > >and other installation files when I try to install them. The same
    > >file will install without problems on other machines within my house.
    > >Error messages will vary depending on the application being installed,
    > >but generally the installation program (either installshield or other)
    > >will report that the file being extracted does not match that within
    > >the .CAB file or that the .CAB file is corrupted. I sometimes get
    > >this when installing from the CD or DVD drive as well as items
    > >installed from the harddrive such as patches or updates. The problem
    > >seems to be more prevalent on items being installed from the
    > >harddrive, however.
    > >
    > >I've re-installed the operating system, chkdsk'd and defragged the
    > >harddrive, run virus scanners, security programs to check for spyware,
    > >re-installed all applications, run registry correction utilities,
    > >changed harddrive and cdrom cables, disabled all background programs
    > >including virus scanners and cursed a bit. None of this has really
    > >helped.
    > >
    > >Any ideas? Could this be a memory problem?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >Dave

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I believe my mem is okay. I'm running simmtester's DocMem and have yet
    encountered an error (on loop 33 as of this). Is this a comprehensive
    diag tool? Would there be any other programs to test memory or
    diagnose other hardware? I'm beginning to think it's really a
    software/driver problem than hardware. The specific error I get is
    "Error:1335. The cabinet file 'data(#).cab required for this
    installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a
    network error, an error reading from the CD-Rom, or a problem with
    this package." I google'd everything I could about this and found one
    site that mentions Microsoft being unsure about the cause of this
    (other than 'clean your disc and install from the harddrive.'. I doubt
    it's the CDs or the drives (which are both clean) since I have no
    problems using the drives or installing software on other PCs. The
    mobo seems to be fine, videocard- ditto. I can't understand why
    installations are prone to this error.

Gigabyte Motherboards