GA-7VRXP: rev. 1.0 or 2.0? And FSB 333?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Hello,

I have a Gigabyte 7VRXP, bought in july 2002. No problems (except Top
Performance won't work) and I'm quite happy with it. But after some searching I
still cannot the answers to some questions. Maybe someone here can help me?

1. How can I see if I have the 1.0/1.1/2.0 version? The board itself says
2.0~~~~~~~~~~~ but both WCPUID and SiSoft Sandra 2004 say 1.0 What is it?
2. How do I know if a 333MHz processor (like a Athlon 2800) will work on this
board? Can I just increase the FSB to 166?

The reason is that I would like to upgrade, not too expensive. A new processor
is 'nessessary' but Athlon 2600 is too slow. 2800 is cheap, FSB 333 together
with my DDR333 wil give a nice boost. I understand that the 7VRXP officially
doesn't support a FBS of 333 but the KT333 should, right?

Can anyone help me?

Greetings and thanks in advance,
Mike (from The Netherlands)
26 answers Last reply
More about 7vrxp
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    This board only supports 266MHz FSB CPU's (133MHz CPU Clock). That is the
    limitation of the VIA KT333 chipset.

    The memory can be run asynchronously at +33MHz higher than the CPU giving a
    166MHz memory clock (DDR333). There is an SDRAM Frequency setting in the
    BIOS Chipset Features Setup menu where you can choose 333MHz if you so
    desire.

    "Mike" <mike@digitaal.demonROTZOOI.nl> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Gigabyte 7VRXP, bought in july 2002. No problems (except Top
    > Performance won't work) and I'm quite happy with it. But after some
    searching I
    > still cannot the answers to some questions. Maybe someone here can help
    me?

    > 1. How can I see if I have the 1.0/1.1/2.0 version? The board itself says
    > 2.0~~~~~~~~~~~ but both WCPUID and SiSoft Sandra 2004 say 1.0 What is
    it?
    > 2. How do I know if a 333MHz processor (like a Athlon 2800) will work on
    this
    > board? Can I just increase the FSB to 166?
    >
    > The reason is that I would like to upgrade, not too expensive. A new
    processor
    > is 'nessessary' but Athlon 2600 is too slow. 2800 is cheap, FSB 333
    together
    > with my DDR333 wil give a nice boost. I understand that the 7VRXP
    officially
    > doesn't support a FBS of 333 but the KT333 should, right?
    >
    > Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Greetings and thanks in advance,
    > Mike (from The Netherlands)

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Mike wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Gigabyte 7VRXP, bought in july 2002. No problems (except Top
    > Performance won't work) and I'm quite happy with it. But after some searching I
    > still cannot the answers to some questions. Maybe someone here can help me?
    >
    > 1. How can I see if I have the 1.0/1.1/2.0 version? The board itself says
    > 2.0~~~~~~~~~~~ but both WCPUID and SiSoft Sandra 2004 say 1.0 What is it?

    Always trust what is printed on the board itself. Software that
    apparently reports PCB revisions either fills in random numbers or reads
    the DMI config table, and I doubt anyone filled real values there
    (typically only large OEMs care to properly update the DMI config table
    to properly reflect the aspects of the hardware they sell you). 1.0 is a
    standard default for 'first shipping' revisions so if the software finds
    an empty DMI value there it might well assume an 1.0 revision as a
    default. Plus, there's no mention of an 1.0 revision on Gigabyte's site.
    Therefore, you have a 2.0 board.

    > 2. How do I know if a 333MHz processor (like a Athlon 2800) will work on this
    > board? Can I just increase the FSB to 166?

    For 100% proper operation you need:
    a) a BIOS that can identify the processor and adjust to its
    peculiarities (if any).
    b) proper voltage regulation and signal paths
    c) proper chipset support

    I don't own the board but chances are you'll at least be able to boot
    with the FSB at 166 MHz.

    > The reason is that I would like to upgrade, not too expensive. A new processor
    > is 'nessessary' but Athlon 2600 is too slow. 2800 is cheap, FSB 333 together
    > with my DDR333 wil give a nice boost. I understand that the 7VRXP officially
    > doesn't support a FBS of 333 but the KT333 should, right?

    Yes it should. But there might be good reasons Gigabyte doesn't
    officially support 333 MHz on this board. See b) above.

    > Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Greetings and thanks in advance,
    > Mike (from The Netherlands)

    Regards
    Nikos
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    (snip)

    >> doesn't support a FBS of 333 but the KT333 should, right?
    >>

    > Yes it should. But there might be good reasons Gigabyte doesn't
    > officially support 333 MHz on this board. See b) above.

    Well, it should according to http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp
    but apparently this isn't the whole story since in the chipset's white
    paper only up to 266 MHz bus is mentioned.
    Apparently official 333 MHz support was added with a later revision and
    VIA conveniently choose to not mention it in the link above.

    Regards
    Nikos
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    > Well, it should according to http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp
    > but apparently this isn't the whole story since in the chipset's white
    > paper only up to 266 MHz bus is mentioned.
    > Apparently official 333 MHz support was added with a later revision and
    > VIA conveniently choose to not mention it in the link above.

    So, you're saying probably the KT333 will work with a Athlon 2800 @ FSB 333 but
    it's not guaranteed by Gigabyte and VIA. Just increase the FSB in the BIOS
    manually to 166MHz.

    Mike
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    > This board only supports 266MHz FSB CPU's (133MHz CPU Clock). That is the
    > limitation of the VIA KT333 chipset.

    Why is it then that VIA says it KT333 supports FBS333?
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp

    And why does other boards with KT333 support FSB333? Am I missing something
    here?

    TIA
    Mike
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    >>This board only supports 266MHz FSB CPU's (133MHz CPU Clock). That is the
    >>limitation of the VIA KT333 chipset.
    >

    > Why is it then that VIA says it KT333 supports FBS333?
    > http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp
    >
    > And why does other boards with KT333 support FSB333? Am I missing something
    > here?
    >
    > TIA
    > Mike

    As I commented in the other post,
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp is apparently not the whole
    story. The whitepaper for KT333 does not list 333 MHz bus support.
    Also, two Asus boards with the KT333, the A7V333 and the A7V333-X, are
    listed with 266 and 333 MHz bus support respectively.
    And the latter has a 'CF' designation for the KT333 chipset, so it's
    rather obvious that (a) specific revision(s) of the KT333 add(s) the 333
    MHz bus support.
    VIA really ought to have mentioned this disparity between different
    revisions in the page above.

    Regards
    Nikos
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Mike wrote:

    >>Well, it should according to http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp
    >>but apparently this isn't the whole story since in the chipset's white
    >>paper only up to 266 MHz bus is mentioned.
    >>Apparently official 333 MHz support was added with a later revision and
    >>VIA conveniently choose to not mention it in the link above.
    >

    > So, you're saying probably the KT333 will work with a Athlon 2800 @ FSB 333 but
    > it's not guaranteed by Gigabyte and VIA. Just increase the FSB in the BIOS
    > manually to 166MHz.
    >
    > Mike

    More or less. The bottomline is you'll have to try and see.

    Regards
    Nikos
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    With this particular Gigabyte board, the KT333CE chipset is what Gigabyte
    used. I haven't heard of anyone successfully maintaining a 166MHz CPU clock
    on a GA-7VRXP Ver. 2. After a reboot it always reverts back to 133MHz.
    There is no BIOS support, even in the last official BIOS version for this
    board, that will enable the 1/5th divider required to maintain a 166MHz CPU
    clock without it reverting back to 133MHz after a reboot.

    The KT333CF chipset does support 333MHz FSB, but that doesn't help here.

    "Nikolaos Tampakis" <ntabakis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mike wrote:
    > >>This board only supports 266MHz FSB CPU's (133MHz CPU Clock). That is
    the
    > >>limitation of the VIA KT333 chipset.
    > >

    > > Why is it then that VIA says it KT333 supports FBS333?
    > > http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp
    > >
    > > And why does other boards with KT333 support FSB333? Am I missing
    something
    > > here?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Mike
    > >

    > As I commented in the other post,
    > http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp is apparently not the whole
    > story. The whitepaper for KT333 does not list 333 MHz bus support.
    > Also, two Asus boards with the KT333, the A7V333 and the A7V333-X, are
    > listed with 266 and 333 MHz bus support respectively.
    > And the latter has a 'CF' designation for the KT333 chipset, so it's
    > rather obvious that (a) specific revision(s) of the KT333 add(s) the 333
    > MHz bus support.
    > VIA really ought to have mentioned this disparity between different
    > revisions in the page above.
    >
    > Regards
    > Nikos
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    As I understand correctly, the KT333 is just a KT266a with DDR333 support,
    right? And that's why it will not support a 166MHz CPU clock. Alltough later
    versions of the KT333 do support that.

    But I read here that the CD will not support FSB333 and the CE will:
    http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl&lr=lang_en|lang_nl&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&output=search&frame=right&th=d483a10f6991934d&seekm=E_sQ8.46940%24s82.3743755%40news1.calgary.shaw.ca#link1
    I am sorry if I sound stubborn, I am not trying to troll or so, but I am trying
    to understand (Technicaly I'm quite a newbie...). Are you sure I have the
    KT333CE? The Gigabyte site speaks only of a south bridge CE.

    Thanks for your help,
    Mike

    "Homer J. Simpson" <hjsimpson@springfield.usa> schreef in bericht
    > With this particular Gigabyte board, the KT333CE chipset is what Gigabyte
    > used. I haven't heard of anyone successfully maintaining a 166MHz CPU clock
    > on a GA-7VRXP Ver. 2. After a reboot it always reverts back to 133MHz.
    > There is no BIOS support, even in the last official BIOS version for this
    > board, that will enable the 1/5th divider required to maintain a 166MHz CPU
    > clock without it reverting back to 133MHz after a reboot.
    >
    > The KT333CF chipset does support 333MHz FSB, but that doesn't help here.
    >
    > "Nikolaos Tampakis" <ntabakis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > the
    > > >

    > > > Why is it then that VIA says it KT333 supports FBS333?
    > > > http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp
    > > >
    > > > And why does other boards with KT333 support FSB333? Am I missing
    > something
    > > > here?
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > > Mike
    > > >

    > > As I commented in the other post,
    > > http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp is apparently not the whole
    > > story. The whitepaper for KT333 does not list 333 MHz bus support.
    > > Also, two Asus boards with the KT333, the A7V333 and the A7V333-X, are
    > > listed with 266 and 333 MHz bus support respectively.
    > > And the latter has a 'CF' designation for the KT333 chipset, so it's
    > > rather obvious that (a) specific revision(s) of the KT333 add(s) the 333
    > > MHz bus support.
    > > VIA really ought to have mentioned this disparity between different
    > > revisions in the page above.
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Nikos

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > As I understand correctly, the KT333 is just a KT266a with DDR333 support,
    > right? And that's why it will not support a 166MHz CPU clock. Alltough later
    > versions of the KT333 do support that.

    More or less. Quoting VIA's site:
    "Building on the unprecedented power and reliability of the VIA Apollo
    KT266A, the VIA Apollo KT333..."
    Furthermore they're pin-to-pin compatible so not much in difference
    other than the memory speed.

    > But I read here that the CD will not support FSB333 and the CE will:
    > http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl&lr=lang_en|lang_nl&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&output=search&frame=right&th=d483a10f6991934d&seekm=E_sQ8.46940%24s82.3743755%40news1.calgary.shaw.ca#link1
    > I am sorry if I sound stubborn, I am not trying to troll or so, but I am trying
    > to understand (Technicaly I'm quite a newbie...). Are you sure I have the
    > KT333CE? The Gigabyte site speaks only of a south bridge CE.
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Mike

    Yes the CE southbridge should be the VT8233A (the board I have uses the
    VT8233 and it's marked as CD). CF will certainly support 166 MHz, as for
    CE I don't know but the A7V333 from Asus which also uses the CE revision
    is not listed with 166 MHz support (the A7V333-X which uses the CF is).
    The 1/5th divider is certainly supported though.

    Regards
    Nikos
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    At first, Nikos, thanks for your help!

    > > As I understand correctly, the KT333 is just a KT266a with DDR333 support,
    > > right? And that's why it will not support a 166MHz CPU clock. Alltough later
    > > versions of the KT333 do support that.
    [ snip]
    > Furthermore they're pin-to-pin compatible so not much in difference
    > other than the memory speed.

    I was afraid so...

    > Yes the CE southbridge should be the VT8233A (the board I have uses the
    > VT8233 and it's marked as CD). CF will certainly support 166 MHz, as for
    > CE I don't know but the A7V333 from Asus which also uses the CE revision
    > is not listed with 166 MHz support (the A7V333-X which uses the CF is).

    How do I know for certain which revision I have? I mean, the Gigabyte's site is
    not the most trustworthy... ;)

    > The 1/5th divider is certainly supported though.

    Uhhh, do you mean that my chipset *IS* supporting the 1/5 divider necessary to
    get a FSB of 333? Mmm, I qoute someone who's saying my bios is not supporting
    it...

    TIA!
    Mike
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Mike wrote:

    > At first, Nikos, thanks for your help!
    >

    >>>As I understand correctly, the KT333 is just a KT266a with DDR333 support,
    >>>right? And that's why it will not support a 166MHz CPU clock. Alltough later
    >>>versions of the KT333 do support that.
    >
    > [ snip]
    >
    >>Furthermore they're pin-to-pin compatible so not much in difference
    >>other than the memory speed.
    >

    > I was afraid so...
    >

    >>Yes the CE southbridge should be the VT8233A (the board I have uses the
    >>VT8233 and it's marked as CD). CF will certainly support 166 MHz, as for
    >>CE I don't know but the A7V333 from Asus which also uses the CE revision
    >>is not listed with 166 MHz support (the A7V333-X which uses the CF is).
    >

    > How do I know for certain which revision I have? I mean, the Gigabyte's site is
    > not the most trustworthy... ;)

    Uncover the northbridge. You could also use a PCI scan tool and obtain a
    revision number value, then compare to the value of a known revision.

    >>The 1/5th divider is certainly supported though.
    >

    > Uhhh, do you mean that my chipset *IS* supporting the 1/5 divider necessary to
    > get a FSB of 333? Mmm, I qoute someone who's saying my bios is not supporting
    > it...
    >
    > TIA!
    > Mike

    From what I gathered, (at least) the CE chipset does have the 1/5th
    divider but is NOT certified for 333 MHz bus freq. Your wording is a bit
    strange - the 1/5h divider is not a neccesity for 333 MHz bus freq. It
    is a necessity for 33 MHz PCI/66 MHz AGP freqs. at bus freq. of 166 MHz.
    I see it more as an overclocking convenience - IF you somehow get a
    stable 166 MHz bus on a CE revision, THEN you can also have the
    possibility to run PCI and AGP at nominal freqs. with the 1/5th divider.
    Its implementation or not however by the motherboard maker is a
    different story.

    Regards
    Nikos
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Nikolaos Tampakis <ntabakis@hotmail.com> wrote:
    <snip>
    | From what I gathered, (at least) the CE chipset does have the 1/5th
    | divider but is NOT certified for 333 MHz bus freq. Your wording is a
    | bit strange - the 1/5h divider is not a neccesity for 333 MHz bus
    | freq. It
    | is a necessity for 33 MHz PCI/66 MHz AGP freqs. at bus freq. of 166
    | MHz.
    | I see it more as an overclocking convenience - IF you somehow get a
    | stable 166 MHz bus on a CE revision, THEN you can also have the
    | possibility to run PCI and AGP at nominal freqs. with the 1/5th
    | divider.
    | Its implementation or not however by the motherboard maker is a
    | different story.

    Some of my systems use the GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0, and they do not appear to have
    any way of setting the FSB clock to 166 MHz. On this board, the FSB clock is
    set using a small on-board switch which selects between 100 MHz or 133 MHz -
    there just isn't a 166 MHz option available to use. The CPU clock multiplier
    is also set by on-board switches, but that is another matter.
    The DDR memory clock speed on the GA-7VRXP is set in the BIOS. Either 100
    MHz, 133 MHz or 166 MHz can be selected from the BIOS set-up screen, giving
    DDR200, DDR266 or DDR333 respectively.
    The processor FSB and the memory bus are different and set up seperately -
    it is important not to confuse the two.
    AFAIK the '333' is the KT333 chipset name refers to the maximum memory bus
    speed (DDR333) and not to the processor FSB speed.
    Kevin.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Kevin Lawton wrote:
    > Nikolaos Tampakis <ntabakis@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > <snip>
    > | From what I gathered, (at least) the CE chipset does have the 1/5th
    > | divider but is NOT certified for 333 MHz bus freq. Your wording is a
    > | bit strange - the 1/5h divider is not a neccesity for 333 MHz bus
    > | freq. It
    > | is a necessity for 33 MHz PCI/66 MHz AGP freqs. at bus freq. of 166
    > | MHz.
    > | I see it more as an overclocking convenience - IF you somehow get a
    > | stable 166 MHz bus on a CE revision, THEN you can also have the
    > | possibility to run PCI and AGP at nominal freqs. with the 1/5th
    > | divider.
    > | Its implementation or not however by the motherboard maker is a
    > | different story.
    >
    > Some of my systems use the GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0, and they do not appear to have
    > any way of setting the FSB clock to 166 MHz. On this board, the FSB clock is
    > set using a small on-board switch which selects between 100 MHz or 133 MHz -
    > there just isn't a 166 MHz option available to use. The CPU clock multiplier
    > is also set by on-board switches, but that is another matter.

    It all boils down to the clock generator installed and its wiring. A
    possibility is that Gigabyte used a clock generator that can't be
    programmed in the first place for 166 MHz CPU bus output. Another (more
    likely?) senario is that the clock generator is capable of 166 MHz
    (datasheets for the clock generators are usually available) but the
    wiring used doesn't offer the means to program it as such, in which case
    some PCB-level action would be necessary to remedy this, more
    specifically to isolate the input pins that determine the CPU bus
    frequency and supply the required logical 0 or 1 to each to program for
    a 166 (or whatever) frequency. There's even the possibility the PCB is
    actually ready to accomodate for 166 MHz (in anticipation of 166 MHz
    capable northbridges) but they didn't install the jumpers/dip switches
    for the proper pins in the clock generator, leaving them instead at a
    fixed logical state and only allowing between 100 and 133 MHz selection
    for the time.

    > The DDR memory clock speed on the GA-7VRXP is set in the BIOS. Either 100
    > MHz, 133 MHz or 166 MHz can be selected from the BIOS set-up screen, giving
    > DDR200, DDR266 or DDR333 respectively.
    > The processor FSB and the memory bus are different and set up seperately -
    > it is important not to confuse the two.
    > AFAIK the '333' is the KT333 chipset name refers to the maximum memory bus
    > speed (DDR333) and not to the processor FSB speed.
    > Kevin.

    Yes, that was obviously the original intent. However eventually there
    appeared 166 MHz CPU bus officially capable revisions too (CF). I have
    no idea how widely they were actually used though.

    Regards
    Nikos
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    > Some of my systems use the GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0, and they do not appear to have
    > any way of setting the FSB clock to 166 MHz. On this board, the FSB clock is
    > set using a small on-board switch which selects between 100 MHz or 133 MHz -
    > there just isn't a 166 MHz option available to use. The CPU clock multiplier
    > is also set by on-board switches, but that is another matter.

    And I was thinking that when I use a CPU that runs on 166MHz the FSB will
    automatically follow to 333. Am I right or wrong?

    > The processor FSB and the memory bus are different and set up seperately -
    > it is important not to confuse the two.

    Understood. But you are saying we cannot select a FSB or system bus speed on the
    GA-7VRXP?

    TIA,
    Mike
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Mike <mike@digitaal.demonROTZOOI.nl> wrote:
    || Some of my systems use the GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0, and they do not appear
    || to have any way of setting the FSB clock to 166 MHz. On this board,
    || the FSB clock is set using a small on-board switch which selects
    || between 100 MHz or 133 MHz - there just isn't a 166 MHz option
    || available to use. The CPU clock multiplier is also set by on-board
    || switches, but that is another matter.
    |
    | And I was thinking that when I use a CPU that runs on 166MHz the FSB
    | will automatically follow to 333. Am I right or wrong?
    |
    || The processor FSB and the memory bus are different and set up
    || seperately -
    || it is important not to confuse the two.
    |
    | Understood. But you are saying we cannot select a FSB or system bus
    | speed on the GA-7VRXP?

    No - quite the opposite. You can select the CPU FSB clock speed via a
    switch - either 100 MHz or 133 MHz, and you can select the memory bus speed
    via the BIOS set-up - either 100 MHz, 133 MHz or 166 MHz. That's what I said
    and that's how it is. I've used quite a few of these boards recently and if
    Gigabyte have come out with a version which will facilitate setting the CPU
    FSB clock higher than that then I certainly haven't encountered it. Neither
    am I aware of any 'Revision 3.0' or suchlike variant which might support a
    higher CPU FSB clock rate.
    It is also worth noting that these boards will only support DDR333 memory in
    two memory strips, and not three, whereas DDR200 and DDR266 are supported in
    all three memory slots.
    I felt it worthwhile pointing out that the CPU FSB clock rate and the memory
    bus clock rate are different things, as some newsgroup posters seem to
    confuse the two. Fortunately, on the GA-7VRXP they can be set independently.
    Kevin.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Kevin Lawton wrote:

    (snip)

    > It is also worth noting that these boards will only support DDR333 memory in
    > two memory strips, and not three, whereas DDR200 and DDR266 are supported in
    > all three memory slots.

    This is a very good point and actually further indication that the KT333
    was launched as little more than a quick refix of the KT266A - where
    the top priority was (obviously) that board manufacturers be able to
    reuse existing KT266(A) board designs...

    (snip)

    Regards
    Nikos
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Nikolaos Tampakis <ntabakis@hotmail.com> wrote:
    | Kevin Lawton wrote:
    |
    | (snip)
    |
    || It is also worth noting that these boards will only support DDR333
    || memory in two memory strips, and not three, whereas DDR200 and
    || DDR266 are supported in all three memory slots.
    |
    | This is a very good point and actually further indication that the
    | KT333 was launched as little more than a quick refix of the KT266A
    | - where
    | the top priority was (obviously) that board manufacturers be able to
    | reuse existing KT266(A) board designs...

    True . . . . . .
    I believe that this process is called 'development' ?
    Kevin.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    > I felt it worthwhile pointing out that the CPU FSB clock rate and the memory
    > bus clock rate are different things, as some newsgroup posters seem to
    > confuse the two. Fortunately, on the GA-7VRXP they can be set independently.

    OK. So to conclude we have a FSB or system bus speed that runs on either 100 or
    133 MHz which can be selected at the board with a switch. We have a memory bus
    that runs on 100, 133, or 166 MHz which can be selected through the BIOS. And we
    have a CPU clock speed that can be adjusted through the BIOS from 133 to at
    least 166 MHz. Am I right?

    And a FSB of 166 is simply not possible without alteration of the board, right?

    Thanks for the helping this newbie,
    Mike
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Mike <mike@digitaal.demonROTZOOI.nl> wrote:
    || I felt it worthwhile pointing out that the CPU FSB clock rate and
    || the memory bus clock rate are different things, as some newsgroup
    || posters seem to confuse the two. Fortunately, on the GA-7VRXP they
    || can be set independently.
    |
    | OK. So to conclude we have a FSB or system bus speed that runs on
    | either 100 or 133 MHz which can be selected at the board with a
    | switch. We have a memory bus that runs on 100, 133, or 166 MHz which
    | can be selected through the BIOS. And we have a CPU clock speed that
    | can be adjusted through the BIOS from 133 to at least 166 MHz. Am I
    | right?
    |
    | And a FSB of 166 is simply not possible without alteration of the
    | board, right?

    Correct on all points, except that you are making a distinction between the
    processor clock and the FSB clock - they are the same thing ! That is why I
    describe it as the 'CPU FSB' clock. And yes, it can be set to run at either
    100 MHz or 133 MHz on a GA-7VRXP.
    Looking at it from a different angle:
    The motherboard 'northbridge' chip includes a memory management function and
    thus sits logically between the CPU and the memory. The northbridge has two
    sides: the side which communicates with the CPU is known as the 'front'
    side, so the data bus between CPU and northbridge is known as the 'front
    side bus' - ie: FSB. There is a limit to the speed any particular CPU can
    have its FSB clocked at, and there is also a limit to what speed a
    northbridge chip can have the FSB clocked at. If you attempt to run the FSB
    faster than these limits then you are 'overclocking' it which might cause
    problems. On the GA-7VRXP you can only set the FSB clock to 100 or 133 MHz.
    Bear in mind that due to a technology known as double-data-rate (DDR) data
    will be strobed through the bus on both the leading and trailing edges of
    the FSB clock signal, so the maximum data rate will be 266 MHz (2 x 133
    MHz).
    There is also a limit to what speed any particular type of memory can be run
    at. The 'memory side' of the northbridge chip is connected to the memory on
    the memory bus (the DMA controller also uses this bus, but that is another
    matter) and data is strobed on the memory bus by the memory clock. When
    setting the memory clock speed the limitations of the memory and the
    northbridge chip have to be taken into account. The VIA KT333 northbridge
    chip on the GA-7VRXP can manage a top memory data rate of 333 MHz. DDR is
    used on this bus, so the memory bus clock speed is set at half the DDR
    rate - 166 MHz maximum, or 133 MHz or 100 MHz if you have slower memory -
    via a BIOS setting.
    A particular advantage of modern northbridge chips like the VIA KT333 is
    that they can run their front side bus and memory bus at different speeds.
    That is why you have two settings.
    The CPU speed is the frequency the CPU is clocked at. This is dependent on
    the capabilities of the CPU used - for example, an XP2400 CPU is specified
    as working at 2.0 GHz. Run it faster than this and you are 'overclocking'
    it. It might work, but AMD don't guarantee that it will. The CPU speed is
    derrived as a multiple of the FSB clock speed, and can be varied on the
    GA-7VRXP by means of a bank of switches. To be honest, unless you actually
    want to over-clock the processor - or need to under-clock it for some
    reason, it is best to leave the 'multiplier' switches on the default 'auto'
    setting.
    Kevin.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    "Kevin Lawton" <socks.kepla.shoes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Mike <mike@digitaal.demonROTZOOI.nl> wrote:
    > || Some of my systems use the GA-7VRXP Rev 2.0, and they do not appear
    > || to have any way of setting the FSB clock to 166 MHz. On this board,
    > || the FSB clock is set using a small on-board switch which selects
    > || between 100 MHz or 133 MHz - there just isn't a 166 MHz option
    > || available to use. The CPU clock multiplier is also set by on-board
    > || switches, but that is another matter.
    > |
    > | And I was thinking that when I use a CPU that runs on 166MHz the FSB
    > | will automatically follow to 333. Am I right or wrong?
    > |
    > || The processor FSB and the memory bus are different and set up
    > || seperately -
    > || it is important not to confuse the two.
    > |
    > | Understood. But you are saying we cannot select a FSB or system bus
    > | speed on the GA-7VRXP?
    >
    > No - quite the opposite. You can select the CPU FSB clock speed via a
    > switch - either 100 MHz or 133 MHz, and you can select the memory bus
    speed
    > via the BIOS set-up - either 100 MHz, 133 MHz or 166 MHz. That's what I
    said
    > and that's how it is. I've used quite a few of these boards recently and
    if
    > Gigabyte have come out with a version which will facilitate setting the
    CPU
    > FSB clock higher than that then I certainly haven't encountered it.
    Neither
    > am I aware of any 'Revision 3.0' or suchlike variant which might support a
    > higher CPU FSB clock rate.
    > It is also worth noting that these boards will only support DDR333 memory
    in
    > two memory strips, and not three, whereas DDR200 and DDR266 are supported
    in
    > all three memory slots.
    > I felt it worthwhile pointing out that the CPU FSB clock rate and the
    memory
    > bus clock rate are different things, as some newsgroup posters seem to
    > confuse the two. Fortunately, on the GA-7VRXP they can be set
    independently.
    > Kevin.

    according to gigabyte website there is a rev 3 board...
    http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VRXP%20(Rev%203.0
    ).htm
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    > | OK. So to conclude we have a FSB or system bus speed that runs on
    > | either 100 or 133 MHz which can be selected at the board with a
    > | switch. We have a memory bus that runs on 100, 133, or 166 MHz which
    > | can be selected through the BIOS. And we have a CPU clock speed that
    > | can be adjusted through the BIOS from 133 to at least 166 MHz. Am I
    > | right?

    > Correct on all points, except that you are making a distinction between the
    > processor clock and the FSB clock - they are the same thing ! That is why I
    > describe it as the 'CPU FSB' clock. And yes, it can be set to run at either
    > 100 MHz or 133 MHz on a GA-7VRXP.

    But as I was saying, you CAN set the CPU clock speed = FSB manually in the BIOS!
    For sure! So we CAN adjust the FSB speed, right?

    Mike
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Raju <rajuvora@hotmailREMOVEPLZ!.com> wrote:
    | "Kevin Lawton" <socks.kepla.shoes@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    ||| And I was thinking that when I use a CPU that runs on 166MHz the FSB
    ||| will automatically follow to 333. Am I right or wrong?
    ||| Understood. But you are saying we cannot select a FSB or system bus
    ||| speed on the GA-7VRXP?
    || No - quite the opposite. You can select the CPU FSB clock speed via a
    || switch - either 100 MHz or 133 MHz, and you can select the memory
    || bus speed via the BIOS set-up - either 100 MHz, 133 MHz or 166 MHz.
    || That's what I said and that's how it is. I've used quite a few of
    || these boards recently and if Gigabyte have come out with a version
    || which will facilitate setting the CPU FSB clock higher than that
    || then I certainly haven't encountered it. Neither am I aware of any
    || 'Revision 3.0' or suchlike variant which might support a higher CPU
    || FSB clock rate.
    || It is also worth noting that these boards will only support DDR333
    || memory in two memory strips, and not three, whereas DDR200 and
    || DDR266 are supported in all three memory slots.
    || I felt it worthwhile pointing out that the CPU FSB clock rate and
    || the memory bus clock rate are different things, as some newsgroup
    || posters seem to confuse the two. Fortunately, on the GA-7VRXP they
    || can be set independently. Kevin.
    |
    | according to gigabyte website there is a rev 3 board...

    http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7VRXP%20(Rev%203.0
    | ).htm

    Nice one, Raju, I wasn't aware of that. I am supposed to be sent bulletins
    of updates but that didn't come through !
    Judging by the spec, they seem to have to have altered just a few things for
    the Rev 3 version of the GA-7VRXP. The sound chip has changed and, most
    importantly, the FSB clock speed adjustment has changed from being an
    on-board switch to being set in the BIOS. The limitatons still seem to be
    the same , though, with a maximum 266 FSB (ie: 133 MHz clock) and only two
    strips of DDR333 memory supported (but three of DDR266 or DDR200). The CPU
    multiplier remains as on-board switches, too. I guess that this gives a bit
    more scope for pushing the board past its design limits - overclocking - if
    you really want to. I would still suggest that this is a good board for a
    thoroughbred-core CPU, but if you want to get the best out of a barton core
    then a different board would be more appropriate - the GA-7VAXP perhaps.
    Kevin.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Kevin Lawton wrote:

    >Nice one, Raju, I wasn't aware of that. I am supposed to be sent bulletins
    >of updates but that didn't come through !
    >Judging by the spec, they seem to have to have altered just a few things for
    >the Rev 3 version of the GA-7VRXP. The sound chip has changed and, most
    >importantly, the FSB clock speed adjustment has changed from being an
    >on-board switch to being set in the BIOS. The limitatons still seem to be
    >the same , though, with a maximum 266 FSB (ie: 133 MHz clock) and only two
    >strips of DDR333 memory supported (but three of DDR266 or DDR200). The CPU
    >multiplier remains as on-board switches, too. I guess that this gives a bit
    >more scope for pushing the board past its design limits - overclocking - if
    >you really want to. I would still suggest that this is a good board for a
    >thoroughbred-core CPU, but if you want to get the best out of a barton core
    >then a different board would be more appropriate - the GA-7VAXP perhaps.
    >Kevin.

    Kevin

    Thanks for the useful information in this and previous posts. So good
    I've saved extra copies for reference.

    Having followed your trials and tribulations in this (and other
    newsgroups) with installing W2K on a GA-7VRXP, did you ever resolve the
    problem?

    --

    Simon Elliott
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Simon Elliott <simon@deleteelliott.clara.co.uk> wrote:
    | Kevin Lawton wrote:
    |
    || Nice one, Raju, I wasn't aware of that. I am supposed to be sent
    || bulletins of updates but that didn't come through !
    || Judging by the spec, they seem to have to have altered just a few
    || things for the Rev 3 version of the GA-7VRXP. The sound chip has
    || changed and, most importantly, the FSB clock speed adjustment has
    || changed from being an on-board switch to being set in the BIOS. The
    || limitatons still seem to be the same , though, with a maximum 266
    || FSB (ie: 133 MHz clock) and only two strips of DDR333 memory
    || supported (but three of DDR266 or DDR200). The CPU multiplier
    || remains as on-board switches, too. I guess that this gives a bit
    || more scope for pushing the board past its design limits -
    || overclocking - if you really want to. I would still suggest that
    || this is a good board for a thoroughbred-core CPU, but if you want to
    || get the best out of a barton core then a different board would be
    || more appropriate - the GA-7VAXP perhaps. Kevin.
    | Kevin
    |
    | Thanks for the useful information in this and previous posts. So good
    | I've saved extra copies for reference.
    |
    | Having followed your trials and tribulations in this (and other
    | newsgroups) with installing W2K on a GA-7VRXP, did you ever resolve
    | the problem?

    Not yet, Simon, but thanks for asking.
    The problem appears to revolve around the XP2400 processor, as when a Duron
    650 is fitted into the GA-7VRXP Windows 2000 behaves fine. But the
    combination is good with Linux, FreeBSD, BeOS or Windows Me so I'm thinking
    it might be a weakness in Windows 2000.
    Latest plan is to progressively upgrade through the Windows 2000 service
    packs, using the Duron 650 to get them installed and then swap over to the
    XP2400 to see if it will work - I've just not had time yet, that's all. If
    that doesn't work, then I'll probably have to purchase another XP2400 just
    to eliminate that as the culprit. I'm pretty disgusted at Microsoft for not
    providing better diagnostics or at least some sort of help.
    Open to any good ideas, of course.
    Kevin.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Kevin Lawton wrote:

    ><snipped>
    >
    >Not yet, Simon, but thanks for asking.
    >The problem appears to revolve around the XP2400 processor, as when a Duron
    >650 is fitted into the GA-7VRXP Windows 2000 behaves fine. But the
    >combination is good with Linux, FreeBSD, BeOS or Windows Me so I'm thinking
    >it might be a weakness in Windows 2000.
    >Latest plan is to progressively upgrade through the Windows 2000 service
    >packs, using the Duron 650 to get them installed and then swap over to the
    >XP2400 to see if it will work - I've just not had time yet, that's all. If
    >that doesn't work, then I'll probably have to purchase another XP2400 just
    >to eliminate that as the culprit. I'm pretty disgusted at Microsoft for not
    >providing better diagnostics or at least some sort of help.
    >Open to any good ideas, of course.
    >Kevin.

    "Open to any good ideas, of course."

    If I get any I'll shout, but it seemed like you'd tried just about anything I could think of. From what I recall you've isolated just about every other cause.

    A shame, 'cause as I said before, W2K works fine with my XP1600/GA-7VRXP combo.

    --

    Simon Elliott

Gigabyte Motherboards