In XP I can burn using DVD-R media but not DVD+R?

I am dual booting between Windows XP and Windows 2000. That is , I get the
option when i start to choose either Operating system, both function as
separate computers.

If I use Windows XP Pro , If I burn DVD's using DVD-R discs they turn out
great, but when I use DVD+R discs, the movies turn out terrible. (Not doing
anything illegal, these are movies I already own , and I am backing up my
collection.)

If I boot up to Windows 2000 Pro, I can burn using either DVD-R or DVD+R
discs and they turn out great either way. I use the same burning software,
CloneDVD in both OS, and since it is the same computer all hardware is the
same obviously, so it has to be an XP problem.

Does anyone know if DVD+R disks have known compatibility issues with XP?
6 answers Last reply
More about burn media

    That would best be answered by the manufacturer of the DVD burner.

    | That would best be answered by the manufacturer of the DVD burner.
    |
    | "superfooz74" <superfooz74@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | > Does anyone know if DVD+R disks have known compatibility issues with XP?

    Anecdotally, I use DVD +R/RW with XP Pro and have no problems.

    Perhaps a firmware upgrade for your burner is available that addresses the
    problem.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    superfooz74 wrote:

    > I am dual booting between Windows XP and Windows 2000. That is , I get the
    > option when i start to choose either Operating system, both function as
    > separate computers.
    >
    > If I use Windows XP Pro , If I burn DVD's using DVD-R discs they turn out
    > great, but when I use DVD+R discs, the movies turn out terrible. (Not doing
    > anything illegal, these are movies I already own , and I am backing up my
    > collection.)
    >
    > If I boot up to Windows 2000 Pro, I can burn using either DVD-R or DVD+R
    > discs and they turn out great either way. I use the same burning software,
    > CloneDVD in both OS, and since it is the same computer all hardware is the
    > same obviously, so it has to be an XP problem.
    >
    > Does anyone know if DVD+R disks have known compatibility issues with XP?

    I use both + and - media without issues with XP SP2. BTW, if you're
    copying encrypted commercial DVDs you *are* doing something illegal,
    regardless of who owns the originals. Not making any moral judgments
    here, but you don't have the same "fair use" rights with commercial DVD
    movies that you have with other digital media, according to a federal
    court ruling earlier this year against 321 Software, the developers of
    DVDxCopy. 321 has since gone belly-up as a result of the ruling.

    OK Phil. If I am copying my personal dvd collection and selling them for 5
    bucks a piece , definitely illegal, but I'm not.
    I am making one copy of each DVD that i spent good money on, just in case
    any get scratched, etc...
    So thanks for letting me know that you used + and - disks without incident
    on XP SP2

    superfooz74 wrote:

    > OK Phil. If I am copying my personal dvd collection and selling them for 5
    > bucks a piece , definitely illegal, but I'm not.
    > I am making one copy of each DVD that i spent good money on, just in case
    > any get scratched, etc...
    > So thanks for letting me know that you used + and - disks without incident
    > on XP SP2
    >
    > "Phil McCracken" wrote:
    >

    >>superfooz74 wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am dual booting between Windows XP and Windows 2000. That is , I get the
    >>>option when i start to choose either Operating system, both function as
    >>>separate computers.
    >>>
    >>>If I use Windows XP Pro , If I burn DVD's using DVD-R discs they turn out
    >>>great, but when I use DVD+R discs, the movies turn out terrible. (Not doing
    >>>anything illegal, these are movies I already own , and I am backing up my
    >>>collection.)
    >>>
    >>>If I boot up to Windows 2000 Pro, I can burn using either DVD-R or DVD+R
    >>>discs and they turn out great either way. I use the same burning software,
    >>>CloneDVD in both OS, and since it is the same computer all hardware is the
    >>>same obviously, so it has to be an XP problem.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know if DVD+R disks have known compatibility issues with XP?
    >>>

    >>I use both + and - media without issues with XP SP2. BTW, if you're
    >>copying encrypted commercial DVDs you *are* doing something illegal,
    >>regardless of who owns the originals. Not making any moral judgments
    >>here, but you don't have the same "fair use" rights with commercial DVD
    >>movies that you have with other digital media, according to a federal
    >>court ruling earlier this year against 321 Software, the developers of
    >>DVDxCopy. 321 has since gone belly-up as a result of the ruling.

    I didn't say you shouldn't be able to make backup copies of your DVDs, a
    federal court judge did, in her interpretation of the Digital Millennium
    Copyright Act.

    Not true in the great land of the Free, America in all its wisdom has
    decided that if you unecrypt the DVD to copy it which you must do as the key
    is linked to the media id, so just doing a direct copy will not work as the
    media id will be different. You are breaking the law!!
    > OK Phil. If I am copying my personal dvd collection and selling them for 5
    > bucks a piece , definitely illegal, but I'm not.
    > I am making one copy of each DVD that i spent good money on, just in case
    > any get scratched, etc...
    > So thanks for letting me know that you used + and - disks without incident
    > on XP SP2
    >
    > "Phil McCracken" wrote:
    >
    > > superfooz74 wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am dual booting between Windows XP and Windows 2000. That is , I get
    the
    > > > option when i start to choose either Operating system, both function
    as
    > > > separate computers.
    > > >
    > > > If I use Windows XP Pro , If I burn DVD's using DVD-R discs they turn
    out
    > > > great, but when I use DVD+R discs, the movies turn out terrible. (Not
    doing
    > > > anything illegal, these are movies I already own , and I am backing up
    my
    > > > collection.)
    > > >
    > > > If I boot up to Windows 2000 Pro, I can burn using either DVD-R or
    DVD+R
    > > > discs and they turn out great either way. I use the same burning
    software,
    > > > CloneDVD in both OS, and since it is the same computer all hardware is
    the
    > > > same obviously, so it has to be an XP problem.
    > > >
    > > > Does anyone know if DVD+R disks have known compatibility issues with
    XP?

    > > I use both + and - media without issues with XP SP2. BTW, if you're
    > > copying encrypted commercial DVDs you *are* doing something illegal,
    > > regardless of who owns the originals. Not making any moral judgments
    > > here, but you don't have the same "fair use" rights with commercial DVD
    > > movies that you have with other digital media, according to a federal
    > > court ruling earlier this year against 321 Software, the developers of
    > > DVDxCopy. 321 has since gone belly-up as a result of the ruling.

Burner DVD Writers Windows XP