I am trying to load the driver for a digitizing tablet that is connected to
the computer at the serial com port. Every time I install the software
supplied by the manufacturer, it installs all files and at the very end it
says "Setup error code 5". I have installed this same software on numerous
computers with different versions of windows sortware and have never had this
error. Is it some sort of permission error in the windows registry? Is
there something stopping the software from reading the hardware on com 1?
This has become very frustrating!

Thank you for the help!!

Hi ajnor,
on't know if this will help but found this advice in a copy of, "Windows
Advisor" and it gives an explanation of error codes.
Error code 5, "This device requires an unknown resource ...code 5"
Explanation ...."This code indicates that a device fault has occured due to
the information not being available. In this case the driver lacks the
information which Windows needs to provide the item of hardware with the
required resources.
To solve this problem, update the driver or use the Device Manager to remove
the device the go to Control Panel and select "Add New Hardware" and
re-install the device".