Invalid Driver Data (USB Problem)

Hi,
I'm trying to use my USB mp3 player with XP Pro with SP2 (clean install) but
keep getting told that the "driver data is invalid" when I try and install
drivers from the Device Manager.

It worked in XP, it worked when I upgraded to SP1, but now, with SP2 it
doesn't.

I've tried using the original software CD (which should be unnecessary since
the drivers are bundled with XP), I've tried downloading all available
updates and installing them to no avail.

I've been in touch with the Manufacturer, who informed me to download the
PNPreg.exe file (which locks the Enumerator in the registry, or something
like that) which didn't work.
And lastly, I renamed my driver.cab file and reinstalled it from my original
XP CD (the driver.cab file which was installed previously was from the XP +
SP1 CD).

Any ideas/help are appreciated!

Have you installed or updated your chipset (motherboard) drivers? These
drivers control your USB ports and may be causing part of the problem.
The other thing you may want to do is try removing the entry for the USB
device from the registry. Try this:

Disconnect the problem device and open the Registry Editor
(Start-Run-regedit). Navigate to HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\USB and look for
the folder containing information about the problematic device. Now
right click on the folder labeled Vid_Xxxx that contains the information
about the problematic device and click Permission. Allow full control
of the key, then right click on it and delete it. Now reboot and try again.

-----
Nathan McNulty