Steam's New Beta Client Allows for Remote Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
This is good, unless I don't have smartphone with data plan -and- steam valve website is blocked at work... then it would mean nothing for me.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]This is good, unless I don't have smartphone with data plan -and- steam valve website is blocked at work... then it would mean nothing for me.[/citation]

I know what you mean!

G

[citation][nom]sliem[/nom]This is good, unless I don't have smartphone with data plan -and- steam valve website is blocked at work... then it would mean nothing for me.[/citation]
Does "sliem" mean "cavedweller" in your ancient language?

bucknutty

Distinguished

Works good on my ipod touch that only has wifi. Sweet!... My office building has public wifi.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Do most people leave their home computers turned on while they're away? Aren't you worried about the electric bill at all? Not to mention the environmental aspect...

[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]Do most people leave their home computers turned on while they're away? Aren't you worried about the electric bill at all? Not to mention the environmental aspect...[/citation]

I'm not worried about either in this case.

bucknutty

Distinguished

I don’t normally leave my pc on all day but I would on the days they make preloads available for a game I pre-purchased.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is a good idea. I've been using the utorrent app on my phone for a while now and being able to start downloads while you're out it damn convenient.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I like this idea a lot.

It's still maddening when you buy a game retail, and you have to wait 4 hours or more for the game to update or some other bullshit before it will even let you play. Hey Steam, if I want to just play a game in campaign mode, please let me decide when I want to update it!!

Ichy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I like this idea a lot. It's still maddening when you buy a game retail, and you have to wait 4 hours or more for the game to update or some other bullshit before it will even let you play. Hey Steam, if I want to just play a game in campaign mode, please let me decide when I want to update it!![/citation]

I second this.. or allow single player to be played WHILE updating multi-player or other games, that would be fantastic

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Its not meant for everyone, its meant to target those with smartphones and have access to internet away from there home. You are obviously not one of those people.....

How about a Steam that launches in 10 seconds every time? Why does the login have to take any longer than Skype?

Steam takes 4 minutes to launch once a week (not counting their frequent updates) and can't handle a forced (Task Manager) shutdown without forcing a restart. Adding new features is cool, but how about a client that just works consistently and quickly?

If Steam wasn't the best thing out there, I'd go with something else. But why not aim for something that doesn't seem obviously flawed instead of "It's better than EA's Origin"?

[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]this is kind of irrelevant. I already have a 1gbps connection... no need to remote downloads...[/citation]Lucky you...but that does make me realize something. If I have to leave my desktop on so that I can start the download remotely, why can't I just start the download while I'm at my desktop when I turn it on and then leave it like that?

Steam should focus more on improvements than gimmicks.

4745454b

Titan
I leave my computer on all the time. I also use logmein to remotely connect to it and do all kinds of things with it. Not really excited about this as I've been doing it for a long time, and a beta Steam might just be asking for trouble.

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]this is kind of irrelevant. I already have a 1gbps connection... no need to remote downloads...[/citation]

Then why even bother commenting on an article that is irrelevant to you ????

Me on the other hand living in Australia find this very handy. Long gone are the days of waiting all day to get home to try out a game that has been pre ordered for 3 months only to wait til midnight or so for it to download. Thanks steam for having us working class in mind =D

deicided

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
[citation][nom]arlandi[/nom]what about the ability to download while playing a game? that would be more useful to a lot of people.[/citation]

Like the blizz background loader ? because it lags the sheet out of anything you do and again unless you are on single player not all of us in countries outside of the US of A have decent net so trying to play on a multiplayer game with a background downloader you'd be bouncing all over the place.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
[citation][nom]deicided[/nom]Like the blizz background loader ? because it lags the sheet out of anything you do and again unless you are on single player not all of us in countries outside of the US of A have decent net so trying to play on a multiplayer game with a background downloader you'd be bouncing all over the place.[/citation]

it should be up for the user to decide whether they want to do it or not, not up to Valve. there should be an option for it. maybe even a bandwith throttle.
btw, i'm not from the us, but i do play single player games a lot. i don't want to leave my pc on while i'm not using it. the electric bill is murder here...

Status
Not open for further replies.