I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro, now it doesn't recognize my monitor or
video card. I tried to install the latest drivers from the monitor's
website, but the 'Add Hardware Wizard' says "The specified location does not
contain information about your hardware." And the video card's latest
drivers from its website doesn't work either, it says "No display adapter
found" or something like that.

Also, going through display properties, on the Adapter page of the advanced
part of the settings, it's called VgaSave and a 'non-plug and play driver',
which is not true, with nowhere to change or update the driver. Then on the
Monitor page, it says 'Default Monitor' and the Properties button is
unavailable.

Go to www.lavalys.com and download Everest Home. This is a free utility
that will tell you most everything about your computer. Use this to
find out what video card you have in your computer. It should also
provide a link to the latest video card drivers for that video card. ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

Matt Di Iorio wrote:
> I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro, now it doesn't recognize my monitor or
> video card. I tried to install the latest drivers from the monitor's
> website, but the 'Add Hardware Wizard' says "The specified location does not
> contain information about your hardware." And the video card's latest
> drivers from its website doesn't work either, it says "No display adapter
> found" or something like that.
>
> Also, going through display properties, on the Adapter page of the advanced
> part of the settings, it's called VgaSave and a 'non-plug and play driver',
> which is not true, with nowhere to change or update the driver. Then on the
> Monitor page, it says 'Default Monitor' and the Properties button is
> unavailable.

dl

You also need to read the specific instructions on the graphics web site, re
'how to install'.
Different vendors have differing methods - do it wrong and it wont work!

"Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
> Go to www.lavalys.com and download Everest Home. This is a free utility
> that will tell you most everything about your computer. Use this to
> find out what video card you have in your computer. It should also
> provide a link to the latest video card drivers for that video card. ;)
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Matt Di Iorio wrote:
> > I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro, now it doesn't recognize my monitor
or
> > video card. I tried to install the latest drivers from the monitor's
> > website, but the 'Add Hardware Wizard' says "The specified location does
not
> > contain information about your hardware." And the video card's latest
> > drivers from its website doesn't work either, it says "No display
adapter
> > found" or something like that.
> >
> > Also, going through display properties, on the Adapter page of the
> > part of the settings, it's called VgaSave and a 'non-plug and play
driver',
> > which is not true, with nowhere to change or update the driver. Then on
the
> > Monitor page, it says 'Default Monitor' and the Properties button is
> > unavailable.

Usually, these drivers support the entire range of cards. Go to
nVidia's website and download their ForceWare drivers, it will support
almost all of the nVidia video cards. Same with ATI, same with Intel.
I have not seen a specific installation method being required since pre-XP.

-----
Nathan McNulty

DL wrote:
> You also need to read the specific instructions on the graphics web site, re
> 'how to install'.
> Different vendors have differing methods - do it wrong and it wont work!
>
> "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
>
>>Go to www.lavalys.com and download Everest Home. This is a free utility
>>that will tell you most everything about your computer. Use this to
>>find out what video card you have in your computer. It should also
>>provide a link to the latest video card drivers for that video card. ;)
>>
>>-----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Matt Di Iorio wrote:
>>
>>>I had to reinstall Windows XP Pro, now it doesn't recognize my monitor
>
> or
>
>>>video card. I tried to install the latest drivers from the monitor's
>>>website, but the 'Add Hardware Wizard' says "The specified location does
>
> not
>
>>>contain information about your hardware." And the video card's latest
>>>drivers from its website doesn't work either, it says "No display
>
> adapter
>
>>>found" or something like that.
>>>
>>>Also, going through display properties, on the Adapter page of the

>>>part of the settings, it's called VgaSave and a 'non-plug and play
>
> driver',
>
>>>which is not true, with nowhere to change or update the driver. Then on
>
> the
>
>>>Monitor page, it says 'Default Monitor' and the Properties button is
>>>unavailable.

dl

I was refering to some graphic vendors requiring that prev drivers be
uninstalled, in control panel, prior to upgrading. As do Nvidea for WinXP
drivers.
I seem to recollect the installation for ATI drivers differed, at least the
last time I used ATI.

> Usually, these drivers support the entire range of cards. Go to
> nVidia's website and download their ForceWare drivers, it will support
> almost all of the nVidia video cards. Same with ATI, same with Intel.
> I have not seen a specific installation method being required since
pre-XP.

> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> DL wrote:
> > You also need to read the specific instructions on the graphics web
site, re
> > 'how to install'.
> > Different vendors have differing methods - do it wrong and it wont work!
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Go to www.lavalys.com and download Everest Home. This is a free utility
> >>that will tell you most everything about your computer. Use this to
> >>find out what video card you have in your computer. It should also
> >>provide a link to the latest video card drivers for that video card. ;)
> >>
> >>-----
> >>Nathan McNulty

> > or

> > not