Can't boot SATA Raid-0 (But could install) -- Does anyone ..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I had a nicely running system with my gigabyte motherboard and a single
ide drive. I re-allocated my ide drive to another system and purchased
2 IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB Serial ATA drives.

I configured them as a single raid 0 drive: Configs fine.
I installed windows xp media edition on there (had to do a f6 install
to add the driver, as expected), all seemed to go well.

My issue is now when I am trying to boot the system for the first time
without using the cd-rom. If I have no cd in the drive, I just get a
message saying cd-boot and nothing happens.

I have SATA selected for my first bios option (scsi/sata/raid)
and I have cdrom as first boot, and hdd-0 as second.

my cd drive is primary master, no other ide devices. I disabled the
ide raid setup and the second ide controller.

I also tried several different options and nothing seems to work.
I updated the bios to the latest for my board (f5).

Any ideas ?? Does this just not work ??

Gigabyte GA-8INXP motherboard revision 1.0, BIOS F5
Intel 3.06 P4 with Hyperthreading
1 Gig Corsair DDRAM TWINX1024-3200LLPT (2 sticks of 512 each)
ATI Radeon 9700pro
Sony DVD Burner

Thanks so much for any help!

- Scott

"Scott K" <s2knaf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I had a nicely running system with my gigabyte motherboard and a single
> ide drive. I re-allocated my ide drive to another system and purchased
> 2 IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB Serial ATA drives.
>
> I configured them as a single raid 0 drive: Configs fine.
> I installed windows xp media edition on there (had to do a f6 install
> to add the driver, as expected), all seemed to go well.
>
> My issue is now when I am trying to boot the system for the first time
> without using the cd-rom. If I have no cd in the drive, I just get a
> message saying cd-boot and nothing happens.
>
> I have SATA selected for my first bios option (scsi/sata/raid)
> and I have cdrom as first boot, and hdd-0 as second.
>
> my cd drive is primary master, no other ide devices. I disabled the
> ide raid setup and the second ide controller.
>
> I also tried several different options and nothing seems to work.
> I updated the bios to the latest for my board (f5).
>
> Any ideas ?? Does this just not work ??

SNIP

You don't have a HDD-0 . . . . that is not a valid boot option . . . isn't
there one for SCSI as the first boot device ?

cheers, SimonG

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Try this:

Boot Order: Floppy/CD-ROM/SCSI

I have the same motherboard and it works, ensure the Onboard H/W SATA
controller is enabled and it's set to "RAID" not "BASE".

"Scott K" <s2knaf@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I had a nicely running system with my gigabyte motherboard and a single
> ide drive. I re-allocated my ide drive to another system and purchased
> 2 IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB Serial ATA drives.
>
> I configured them as a single raid 0 drive: Configs fine.
> I installed windows xp media edition on there (had to do a f6 install
> to add the driver, as expected), all seemed to go well.
>
> My issue is now when I am trying to boot the system for the first time
> without using the cd-rom. If I have no cd in the drive, I just get a
> message saying cd-boot and nothing happens.
>
> I have SATA selected for my first bios option (scsi/sata/raid)
> and I have cdrom as first boot, and hdd-0 as second.
>
> my cd drive is primary master, no other ide devices. I disabled the
> ide raid setup and the second ide controller.
>
> I also tried several different options and nothing seems to work.
> I updated the bios to the latest for my board (f5).
>
> Any ideas ?? Does this just not work ??
>

> Gigabyte GA-8INXP motherboard revision 1.0, BIOS F5
> Intel 3.06 P4 with Hyperthreading
> 1 Gig Corsair DDRAM TWINX1024-3200LLPT (2 sticks of 512 each)
> ATI Radeon 9700pro
> Sony DVD Burner
>

> Thanks so much for any help!
>
> - Scott

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Hi Richard & All,

Thanks for the suggestions, but it still is not booting for some reason.

I don't have a floppy on this machine so I set the boot order to

Boot Devices:
first - cdrom
second - scsi
third - none.

I tried setting the boot order at the top boot order bios setting to SCSI,
then to SATA with the same boot options as listed above. Just get the "Boot
from CD" message either way.

The OS installed fine on this configured raid unit, so I know I am
accessing the disk just fine, the issue is getting them to boot from
it.

Thanks, I think this is progress, but I am still not at the solution yet ...

- Scott

"SimonG Ltd." <spam@simong.co.uk> wrote in message

> You don't have a HDD-0 . . . . that is not a valid boot option . . . isn't
> there one for SCSI as the first boot device ?

Yup...your boot order has to be set to boot from SCSI. SATA is not available
in the BIOS for boot order.

HDD-0 refers to an IDE hard drive, not SATA...that's why it won't boot.

s2knaf@yahoo.com (Scott K) wrote in message news:<c6fbb93a.0406021058.7127f3f9@posting.google.com>...
> Hi Richard & All,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions, but it still is not booting for some reason.
>
> I don't have a floppy on this machine so I set the boot order to
>
> Boot Devices:
> first - cdrom
> second - scsi
> third - none.
>
> I tried setting the boot order at the top boot order bios setting to SCSI,
> then to SATA with the same boot options as listed above. Just get the "Boot
> from CD" message either way.
>
> The OS installed fine on this configured raid unit, so I know I am
> accessing the disk just fine, the issue is getting them to boot from
> it.
>
> Thanks, I think this is progress, but I am still not at the solution yet ...
>
> - Scott

If you have GA 7vaxp ultra motherboard, then you probably are one of
the unlucky guys(like me also) that have defective sata controller..It
writes to disk but it cant read from disk..
Solution 1: Take your motherboard for a replacement
Solution 2:Take a PCI sata controller.

s2knaf@yahoo.com (Scott K) wrote in message news:<c6fbb93a.0406020601.7eb530a9@posting.google.com>...
> I had a nicely running system with my gigabyte motherboard and a single
> ide drive. I re-allocated my ide drive to another system and purchased
> 2 IBM Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 250GB Serial ATA drives.
>
> I configured them as a single raid 0 drive: Configs fine.
> I installed windows xp media edition on there (had to do a f6 install
> to add the driver, as expected), all seemed to go well.
>
> My issue is now when I am trying to boot the system for the first time
> without using the cd-rom. If I have no cd in the drive, I just get a
> message saying cd-boot and nothing happens.
>
> I have SATA selected for my first bios option (scsi/sata/raid)
> and I have cdrom as first boot, and hdd-0 as second.
>
> my cd drive is primary master, no other ide devices. I disabled the
> ide raid setup and the second ide controller.
>
> I also tried several different options and nothing seems to work.
> I updated the bios to the latest for my board (f5).
>
> Any ideas ?? Does this just not work ??
>

> Gigabyte GA-8INXP motherboard revision 1.0, BIOS F5
> Intel 3.06 P4 with Hyperthreading
> 1 Gig Corsair DDRAM TWINX1024-3200LLPT (2 sticks of 512 each)
> ATI Radeon 9700pro
> Sony DVD Burner
>

> Thanks so much for any help!
>
> - Scott
Your mobo has the SII3112A chip for sata controller. Some of them were
defective. You cant do nothing else but to return your motherboard.
Except maybe to buy a PCI sata controller.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I have the settings correct now -- Thanks SimonG and Richard
(&gigabtye)!

*** BUT ...

The machine starts up with the bios and I see the sata raid config,
then
I get a screen with the pc interrupt settings and the last message it
says is
"Boot Cd Rom"

All looks normal up to this point, I am not sure why I see the boot cd
message
when I have no cd in the drive.; but --
THEN the system pauses over 3 minutes!! And seems to do nothing!!

Once that 3 minute sleep time is up, the machine boots windows xp in
about 5
seconds, and everything works fine; so I think the drives are hooked
correctly
and all.

My settings now are:
SATA/RAID/SCSI Boot Order ---> set to "SATA"
First Boot Device ---> CDROM
Second Boot Device ---> SCSI
Third Boot Device ---> None.

There are no messages printed during that 3 minutes and
nothing is happening: no disk access, just nothing.

Thanks for all the great help, seems like there may be just 1 more
step to get this lag time out ...

Dimitris -- Yes I have SiI3112A chip. Do you think this 3 minute
pause
could be a symptom of the defective chip ??
I only spend a few minutes with the machine booted up last night, but
everything seemed fine, it's a fresh windows xp install, and I just
adjusted
a few settings in there. But nothing failed once things booted up and
the machine seemed zippy. I just need to get rid of that 3 minute
boot pause!

BTW: I also mailed gigabyte support as I posted to the net yesterday,
and
support was very helpful - getting me the answer to use the scsi
setting also.
It's nice to see a company stand behind their products like that!
BTW2: Was that documented somewhere? I thought I had read all the
documentation
and I can't remember ever seeing anything that suggested to use the
scsi setting.

Thanks again to All!

- Scott

Dimitris wrote:
> Your mobo has the SII3112A chip for sata controller. Some of them were
> defective. You cant do nothing else but to return your motherboard.
> Except maybe to buy a PCI sata controller.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

> Dimitris -- Yes I have SiI3112A chip. Do you think this 3 minute
> pause
> could be a symptom of the defective chip ??
> I only spend a few minutes with the machine booted up last night, but
> everything seemed fine, it's a fresh windows xp install, and I just
> adjusted
> a few settings in there. But nothing failed once things booted up and
> the machine seemed zippy. I just need to get rid of that 3 minute
> boot pause!
>

> Thanks again to All!
>
> - Scott

Er no if winxp have boot and run i think it is something with the
cdroms. What if you set first boot device to scsi?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Try setting it as first boot-none,second boot - CD,third boot- SCSI.
It will always look at the CD or DVD drive to see if there is a bootable disc
in there. DOUG

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Well, i have the same mobo and i am also using the Sil3112A with the latest
drivers, from the webiste...do you have the latest?

I run my WD Raptor in BASE as i have a single drive, no lag or delay
booting.