Hard Drive Problem

terry

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I have a Giga-byte GA-7VT600 1394 AMD Motherboard with dual bios and a
Seagate Hard drive .

The hard drive has a 160GB capacity,but when I install it with this
hardware and WindowsXP OEM SP1 software it only comes up as a 150GB
hard drive.

Do I need to flash something or change a setting so it see's it as a
160GB hard drive.

Thanks:Terry

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

If you define 1GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes, as the drive manufacturers do,
then you bought a 160GB HDD.

If you define 1GB as 1,073,741,824 bytes, as Windows XP does, then you have
149GB.

Neither size is wrong, it all comes down to what your definition of a
gigabyte is.

"Terry" <redone22214@excite.com> wrote in message
> I have a Giga-byte GA-7VT600 1394 AMD Motherboard with dual bios and a
> Seagate Hard drive .
>
> The hard drive has a 160GB capacity,but when I install it with this
> hardware and WindowsXP OEM SP1 software it only comes up as a 150GB
> hard drive.
>
> Do I need to flash something or change a setting so it see's it as a
> 160GB hard drive.
>
> Thanks:Terry

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

also format and all the tables it has to store take space.

KK