Win XP does not recognize my dynamic disk

I have a 80 Gb disk where I use to have win 2000 installed, and a 200
Gb disk with data. Recently I had to install win XP, which could not
recognize my 200 Gb disk. It says its a dynamic disk, and it seems to
me that i have to convert it to a static disk, which would lose my
data!!!!
There must be a way to install Win XP without loosing data on this
disk!?

Please, Is there any one that could help me with this??

Are you using Windows XP Home Edition? WinXP Home cannot use Dynamic
disks. If you have XP Professional, you need to import the foreign disk
in Disk Management (Right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk
Management).

-----
Nathan McNulty

Kjelle P wrote:
> I have a 80 Gb disk where I use to have win 2000 installed, and a 200
> Gb disk with data. Recently I had to install win XP, which could not
> recognize my 200 Gb disk. It says its a dynamic disk, and it seems to
> me that i have to convert it to a static disk, which would lose my
> data!!!!
> There must be a way to install Win XP without loosing data on this
> disk!?
>
> Please, Is there any one that could help me with this??

Hi, I hope you don't mind me butting into your question, but I am also having
this problem, with the dynamic disk.

I have been into disk management, and it says that it is a foreign disk.

my question is, I have data on this disk, which I used as a backup before
having to re-install windows on a new hard drive, but now it doesn't
recognise this second hard drive.

Will my data be safe if I import foreign drive?

Gail

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Are you using Windows XP Home Edition? WinXP Home cannot use Dynamic
> disks. If you have XP Professional, you need to import the foreign disk
> in Disk Management (Right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk
> Management).
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Kjelle P wrote:
> > I have a 80 Gb disk where I use to have win 2000 installed, and a 200
> > Gb disk with data. Recently I had to install win XP, which could not
> > recognize my 200 Gb disk. It says its a dynamic disk, and it seems to
> > me that i have to convert it to a static disk, which would lose my
> > data!!!!
> > There must be a way to install Win XP without loosing data on this
> > disk!?
> >
> > Please, Is there any one that could help me with this??

Yes, you want to import the foreign disk and it will show all of your
data that is currently on it :)

-----
Nathan McNulty
Swap gmail with name for email :)

gailg wrote:
> Hi, I hope you don't mind me butting into your question, but I am also having
> this problem, with the dynamic disk.
>
> I have been into disk management, and it says that it is a foreign disk.
>
> my question is, I have data on this disk, which I used as a backup before
> having to re-install windows on a new hard drive, but now it doesn't
> recognise this second hard drive.
>
> Will my data be safe if I import foreign drive?
>
> Gail
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Are you using Windows XP Home Edition? WinXP Home cannot use Dynamic
>>disks. If you have XP Professional, you need to import the foreign disk
>>in Disk Management (Right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk
>>Management).
>>
>>-----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Kjelle P wrote:
>>
>>>I have a 80 Gb disk where I use to have win 2000 installed, and a 200
>>>Gb disk with data. Recently I had to install win XP, which could not
>>>recognize my 200 Gb disk. It says its a dynamic disk, and it seems to
>>>me that i have to convert it to a static disk, which would lose my
>>>data!!!!
>>>There must be a way to install Win XP without loosing data on this
>>>disk!?
>>>
>>>Please, Is there any one that could help me with this??

Hyperion

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Are you using Windows XP Home Edition?

Hi, I have the sae problem but I know that I have WIN XP HOME.
How I can enter into my hard disk without buy WIN XP PRO? :D
There same things that I can do?
Somethings like modify some row of my regedit :)
Or download a patch, or a program like partition magic.....
Thanks for your help.

P.S.: Sorry for my english if it's not correct.

TRENDING THREADS