8KNXP, Your Opinion

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

How do you see this motherboard compared to other manufactures in terms of
price, features and stability.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I have had a GA-8KNXP board for approximately two months and it is the first
Gigabyte board I have owned. For the past fifteen years I have used ASUS
boards exclusively. So far I have been quite impressed most of all with its
stability. I have not encountered one problem. It has everything except SCSI
onboard and its features compare favorably with similar boards from ASUS. I
do not overclock but I have heard that this board is not a great
overclocker. I found the price to be inline with boards that have similar
features.
"Gibbs" <BGStock@Bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> How do you see this motherboard compared to other manufactures in terms of
> price, features and stability.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

"Gibbs" <BGStock@Bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> How do you see this motherboard compared to other manufactures in terms of
> price, features and stability.

I have experience with the 8KNXP rev. 1 non-Ultra and two Asus P4C800's, all
running XP Pro. I have the GB running here with 2gb of Kingston CL3 RAM and
it has been very stable for 13 months now, having experienced only two
unprovoked crashes (both from a Norton Protection driver, NPDRIVER.SYS) in
that period, both while booting. This problem first occurred months ago,
then again one month ago, and hasn't occurred since. I don't blame the mobo
for this anomaly.

Two friends have the Asus and they are also satisfied, although both have
had very minor problems as above. One has a very irritating bug in the AMI
bios that causes the boot sequence to revert to default if any IDE drive is
removed. This occurs when drives in mobile racks are installed, then
removed, for cloning in Norton Ghost. It is very irritating and my only fix
was to install a PCI card to drive these removable drives, which isn't part
of the chipset, thus not controlled by the bios.

If you don't need the six-phase power thingie, etc., I'd look into another
model. I'm not using it because it interferes with my Zalman cooler, but
when I bought this board 875i was new and I don't think there were nearly
the choices available now.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I am running the 8KNXP on a dual boot W2K Pro/RH9 box. I have had it running for... err.. about 2 weeks.

I have odd bios behavior for boot order. If I have hard drive as primary boot device it won't boot. If I set CD Rom as first boot, with hard drive as second then:
(a) if there is no CD Rom in the drive, it won't recognise the hard drive as a boot disk;
(b) if there is a bootable CD Rom in the drive and I don't hit the "press any key to boot from CD ROM", it *will* recognise the hard drive as boot disk and boot properly.

Maybe I haven't set something right in Bios, but it is odd.

On RH9 I have problems with the keyboard and mouse from time to time (generic PS/2 devices - happens once or twice every 12 hours of use) and the onboard sound is not detected - this may be resolved by upgrading to a newer version of Linux (?)

Brendan

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 16:32:52 -0400, "Gibbs" <BGStock@Bellsouth.net> wrote:

>How do you see this motherboard compared to other manufactures in terms of
>price, features and stability.

Plus the cheaper model with out the extra power thing

GA-8I875 Ultra.

PAT gets turned off it you over clock more than 10mhz, plus these boards do
not support faster ram, they work that it all, Gigabyte has confirmed this
from posts here.

Yes I have a GA-8I875 Ultra.

"Rodney Hoyt" <rodneyhoyt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have had a GA-8KNXP board for approximately two months and it is the
>first
> Gigabyte board I have owned. For the past fifteen years I have used ASUS
> boards exclusively. So far I have been quite impressed most of all with
> its
> stability. I have not encountered one problem. It has everything except
> SCSI
> onboard and its features compare favorably with similar boards from ASUS.
> do not overclock but I have heard that this board is not a great
> overclocker. I found the price to be inline with boards that have similar
> features.

I have been able to overclock to 210FSB, any higher then this a PAT is
disabled.

My CPU is currently @ 3.34Ghz.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rodney Hoyt" <rodneyhoyt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >I have had a GA-8KNXP board for approximately two months and it is the
> >first
> > Gigabyte board I have owned. For the past fifteen years I have used ASUS
> > boards exclusively. So far I have been quite impressed most of all with
> > its
> > stability. I have not encountered one problem. It has everything except
> > SCSI
> > onboard and its features compare favorably with similar boards from
ASUS.
> > do not overclock but I have heard that this board is not a great
> > overclocker. I found the price to be inline with boards that have
similar
> > features.
>
> I have been able to overclock to 210FSB, any higher then this a PAT is
> disabled.
>
> My CPU is currently @ 3.34Ghz.

Well the next logical question is...which gets you more performance? Going
to 255fsb or staying at 210 and having the PAT enabled???

Thanks

Don

"M-Tech" <mechtechllc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Well the next logical question is...which gets you more performance?
> Going
> to 255fsb or staying at 210 and having the PAT enabled???

It depends on your situation and hardware configuration. I have a 3.2GHz CPU
with Corsair DDR400 memory. So overclocking to 255FSB is not an option, the
memory is not designed to run at that speed.

Whereas i have read reviews that the Corsair memory will safely overclock by
some 10-20MHz with ease. Thus a mild overclock of 210FSB is acceptable.

If however you had a 2.4 or 2.6 CPU then an extreme overclock to get 250FSB
is most welcome and acceptable. You would not only benifit from the
increased FSB but also CPU clock.

As for PAT and potential loss of going above 210FSB...the benefits outweight
the loss, a 250FSB would gain you alot more then losing PAT.

> "M-Tech" <mechtechllc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Well the next logical question is...which gets you more performance?
> > Going
> > to 255fsb or staying at 210 and having the PAT enabled???
>
> It depends on your situation and hardware configuration. I have a 3.2GHz
CPU
> with Corsair DDR400 memory. So overclocking to 255FSB is not an option,
the
> memory is not designed to run at that speed.
>
> Whereas i have read reviews that the Corsair memory will safely overclock
by
> some 10-20MHz with ease. Thus a mild overclock of 210FSB is acceptable.
>
> If however you had a 2.4 or 2.6 CPU then an extreme overclock to get
250FSB
> is most welcome and acceptable. You would not only benifit from the
> increased FSB but also CPU clock.
>
> As for PAT and potential loss of going above 210FSB...the benefits
outweight
> the loss, a 250FSB would gain you alot more then losing PAT.

That's what I thought. I have a 8KNXP running at 250 with a 2.8.

Wonderful board.

Thanks!!

Don

> That's what I thought. I have a 8KNXP running at 250 with a 2.8.
>
> Wonderful board.

So what memory do you have? DDR500?, what is you CPU clock speed. A 2.8 @
250FSB would be rather high on the thermal tip.

> "M-Tech" <mechtechllc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > That's what I thought. I have a 8KNXP running at 250 with a 2.8.
> >
> > Wonderful board.
>
> So what memory do you have? DDR500?, what is you CPU clock speed. A 2.8 @
> 250FSB would be rather high on the thermal tip.

Sorry, I'm running at 240 mhz. My mistake. Runs around 56C. Memory is
just simple ddr 400 KingMax. Clock speed is 3.4 ghz.

I think I actually got VERY close to 250 once, but since I installed a RAID
HD setup it seems to have made the system less stable. At 240, I have no
troubles running anything. (solidworks, autocad, gaming, etc.)

I'm tickled with the board, got it new off ebay for $65 about 4 months ago.

About the only complaint I have is that the 4 case fans blow an enormous
amount of heat out and my office is always cooking!!! Guess I could turn
the FSB down and just run normal temps...hehe

Don

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:26:28 +0100, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"M-Tech" <mechtechllc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> That's what I thought. I have a 8KNXP running at 250 with a 2.8.
>>
>> Wonderful board.
>
>So what memory do you have? DDR500?, what is you CPU clock speed. A 2.8 @
>250FSB would be rather high on the thermal tip.

The board only support DDR400 Ram, this has been posted here and from
Statement by Gigabyte..

A person in another news group got fed up with this and got a Abit MoBo, has
no Pat or Memory restrictions..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

wrote:

>"M-Tech" <mechtechllc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> That's what I thought. I have a 8KNXP running at 250 with a 2.8.
>>
>> Wonderful board.
>
>So what memory do you have? DDR500?, what is you CPU clock speed. A 2.8 @
>250FSB would be rather high on the thermal tip.

The board only support DDR400 Ram, this has been posted here and from
Statement by Gigabyte..

A person in another news group got fed up with this and got a Abit MoBo, has
no Pat or Memory restrictions..

I built 2 KNXP boards with DDR433 ram. One with Corsair XMS 3500 and 1 with
Kingston HYPER X 3500, I overclocked the one with kingston to 225 FSB or 450 on
the ram with no problems.