Harddrive suddenly unformatted

Ok this is going to be a little long but I have serious issues with my hard
drives.

Currently I'm deployed to Iraq and can't work on my computer but I need to
know if anyone has had this problem and what the fix is. Here's my story:

Last year I was deployed to Qatar and had my wife send me 2 WD Caviar 160GB
internal HD's. I put them into a Dell desktop and they ran fine for a while.
I used them to store Divx movies and music. All of a sudden one day one of
the drives showed up as being an unformatted drive. Needless to say I lost
everything on there. I reformatted it and put all the data back. Luckily it
was all on a server. Well next thing I know the Dvix movies were all
corrupted. After I deleted the corrupted files and put clean one's back on I
got the unformatted problem again. For a while the drives ran fine. I got
back home from Qatar and installed the drives in my computer. Everything
running fine for about two weeks when all of a sudden a large portion of my
Dvix movies just up and disappeared. Ran scandisk and next thing I know the
unformatted problem again. All is lost. Well I took the drives back because
my wife in her infinate wisdom got the service plan. I got Seagate drives
this time. They been running great for a while until one day an unformatted
problem again on one of the drives and movies are starting to get corrupted
on the other one. With 2 different drive manufacturers and two different
computers it kinda narrows it down to WinXP. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Joe
2 answers Last reply
More about harddrive suddenly unformatted

    Windows doesn't contain a program that is designed to corrupt or format a
    hard drive or its contents without user action.

    One would have to look at other security measures to prevent external
    attacks such as a firewall or antivirus.

    Do you obtain these files via a sharing system?

    "Joe_650" wrote:

    > Ok this is going to be a little long but I have serious issues with my hard
    > drives.
    >
    > Currently I'm deployed to Iraq and can't work on my computer but I need to
    > know if anyone has had this problem and what the fix is. Here's my story:
    >
    > Last year I was deployed to Qatar and had my wife send me 2 WD Caviar 160GB
    > internal HD's. I put them into a Dell desktop and they ran fine for a while.
    > I used them to store Divx movies and music. All of a sudden one day one of
    > the drives showed up as being an unformatted drive. Needless to say I lost
    > everything on there. I reformatted it and put all the data back. Luckily it
    > was all on a server. Well next thing I know the Dvix movies were all
    > corrupted. After I deleted the corrupted files and put clean one's back on I
    > got the unformatted problem again. For a while the drives ran fine. I got
    > back home from Qatar and installed the drives in my computer. Everything
    > running fine for about two weeks when all of a sudden a large portion of my
    > Dvix movies just up and disappeared. Ran scandisk and next thing I know the
    > unformatted problem again. All is lost. Well I took the drives back because
    > my wife in her infinate wisdom got the service plan. I got Seagate drives
    > this time. They been running great for a while until one day an unformatted
    > problem again on one of the drives and movies are starting to get corrupted
    > on the other one. With 2 different drive manufacturers and two different
    > computers it kinda narrows it down to WinXP. Anyone have any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Joe

    All of the files I made myself from my own collection of DVD's that I bought
    while I was deployed. Also when I was deployed the computer I was working on
    was running on a very secure network with a personal firewall and AV running
    with current updates. My computer at home is also running behind a pretty
    decent router with active firewall and a personal firewall on the computer as
    well. AV is running with all current updates. I consider myself pretty
    computer literate, no genius but I've worked with computers for a while now
    and I work with network communications in the AF that's why this is bugging
    me.

    "BAR" wrote:

    > Windows doesn't contain a program that is designed to corrupt or format a
    > hard drive or its contents without user action.
    >
    > One would have to look at other security measures to prevent external
    > attacks such as a firewall or antivirus.
    >
    > Do you obtain these files via a sharing system?
    >
    > "Joe_650" wrote:
    >
    > > Ok this is going to be a little long but I have serious issues with my hard
    > > drives.
    > >
    > > Currently I'm deployed to Iraq and can't work on my computer but I need to
    > > know if anyone has had this problem and what the fix is. Here's my story:
    > >
    > > Last year I was deployed to Qatar and had my wife send me 2 WD Caviar 160GB
    > > internal HD's. I put them into a Dell desktop and they ran fine for a while.
    > > I used them to store Divx movies and music. All of a sudden one day one of
    > > the drives showed up as being an unformatted drive. Needless to say I lost
    > > everything on there. I reformatted it and put all the data back. Luckily it
    > > was all on a server. Well next thing I know the Dvix movies were all
    > > corrupted. After I deleted the corrupted files and put clean one's back on I
    > > got the unformatted problem again. For a while the drives ran fine. I got
    > > back home from Qatar and installed the drives in my computer. Everything
    > > running fine for about two weeks when all of a sudden a large portion of my
    > > Dvix movies just up and disappeared. Ran scandisk and next thing I know the
    > > unformatted problem again. All is lost. Well I took the drives back because
    > > my wife in her infinate wisdom got the service plan. I got Seagate drives
    > > this time. They been running great for a while until one day an unformatted
    > > problem again on one of the drives and movies are starting to get corrupted
    > > on the other one. With 2 different drive manufacturers and two different
    > > computers it kinda narrows it down to WinXP. Anyone have any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Joe

Hard Drives Windows XP