Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Transfer pics from camera to pc?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:13:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Having difficulty..any help appreciated.

Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
cannot detect the scanner or camera.

I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.

Any thoughts,

Thanks,
John

More about : transfer pics camera

October 26, 2004 1:13:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Several things to try, perhaps all of them... Question; do you have a 3rd
party photo viewer such as ACDsee or (free) Irfan Viewer? Sometimes the
stuff that comes with XP is enough, sometimes it is good to have a more
'featured' application... First, if you only have what came with XP, go to
your 'InstallNew Hardware' and se if your camera is listed.. There is a long
list and that may help XP in identifying yours.
Secondly you will be better served if you do have a 3rd party application
since there is usually an 'aquire' feature in the software which will help
you go thru your camera folder and 'find' the pictures you want to load onto
the PC. You can download Irfan Viewer I mentioned free and it has everything
you could want to handle those pictures.. There are other softwares that
would do only the simple task you need to do, but 'free' and 'small' are the
keywords here..
"John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cljmnv$o57$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>
> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>
> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>
> Any thoughts,
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
>
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:13:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>
>Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
>pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
>cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>
>I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
>Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>
>Any thoughts,
>
>Thanks,
>John
>

What make and model of camera?

Does the software that came with the camera work properly for
transferring pictures?


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."
Related resources
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:13:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I had a similar problem, and found that instead of tinkering with the
camera's software or other applications, simply investing in a low cost card
reader that plugs into a USB port was the best solution. Just plug it in to
an XP computer, and the computer sees it as a disk drive. The beauty of this
is that you can move files in and out of your computer very quickly, open
them in any program you want, and delete some or all files from the cards
very quickly. There's nothing to new to learn, since the card looks just
like another drive in Explorer. The only thing special that you have to do,
is to tell the computer to drop the "drive" before you physically unplug it.
That takes about 2 seconds.

Card readers are widely available for under $20 in models that will accept
most popular digital memory cards. I needed one that accepted the new
Olympus/Fuji xD card, and it cost only $29.95 at Crucial.com.

Orrie

Orrie
"John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cljmnv$o57$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>
> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>
> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>
> Any thoughts,
>
> Thanks,
> John
>
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:25:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

John Smith wrote:
>
> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>
> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>
> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>
> Any thoughts,
>
> Thanks,
> John

does the camera not show as an extra drive? That's how mine comes up
and I just cut and paste the files
--
Paul (I read bad poetry Into your machine)
------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 3:04:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thank you for the comments.

As previously mentioned I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using
Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from
Camera...so its not a great problem...just wondered why and how to sort out.

Also tried Start/My Computer/click the camera icon under Scanners
and Cameras/Get Pictures from Camera I get message that the computer cannot
detect the scanner or camera.

Also in Microsoft Word...and attempting Insert/Picture/From Camera or
Scanner/Highlight Camera device/click Custom Insert - get An error occurred
whilst acquiring the image.

Thanks for the pointer to Irfan Viewer..I'll have a look at that.

John




"Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:eLdKqHtuEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Several things to try, perhaps all of them... Question; do you have a 3rd
> party photo viewer such as ACDsee or (free) Irfan Viewer? Sometimes the
> stuff that comes with XP is enough, sometimes it is good to have a more
> 'featured' application... First, if you only have what came with XP, go to
> your 'InstallNew Hardware' and se if your camera is listed.. There is a
> long
> list and that may help XP in identifying yours.
> Secondly you will be better served if you do have a 3rd party
> application
> since there is usually an 'aquire' feature in the software which will help
> you go thru your camera folder and 'find' the pictures you want to load
> onto
> the PC. You can download Irfan Viewer I mentioned free and it has
> everything
> you could want to handle those pictures.. There are other softwares that
> would do only the simple task you need to do, but 'free' and 'small' are
> the
> keywords here..
> "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:cljmnv$o57$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>>
>> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
>> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
>> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>>
>> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
>> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>>
>> Any thoughts,
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 3:06:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Its an Olympus C5050
Ref the software that came with the camera - I'll have to check on that.

"Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4toqn0t79m92ilnmma1r46c8m9splr63h8@4ax.com...
> "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>>
>>Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
>>pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
>>cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>>
>>I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
>>Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>>
>>Any thoughts,
>>
>>Thanks,
>>John
>>
>
> What make and model of camera?
>
> Does the software that came with the camera work properly for
> transferring pictures?
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>
> "The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 3:07:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Yes it shows as an extra drive...but don't seem to be able to view the pics
via this route for some reason.

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:417D6F32.F5A03131@blueyonder.co.uk...
> John Smith wrote:
>>
>> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>>
>> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
>> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
>> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>>
>> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
>> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>>
>> Any thoughts,
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>
> does the camera not show as an extra drive? That's how mine comes up
> and I just cut and paste the files
> --
> Paul (I read bad poetry Into your machine)
> ------------------------------------------------------
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 5:14:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

John Smith wrote:
>
> Yes it shows as an extra drive...but don't seem to be able to view the pics
> via this route for some reason.

What sort of camera? I think i heard of Kodak having a similar problem
--
Paul (I read bad poetry Into your machine)
------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:03:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cljmnv$o57$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>
> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>
> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>

You can normally go to My Computer once the USB digital camera is attached
and it is there as a camera or removable drive on that menu. Double click on
that new icon then you normally see "DCIM" folder and your pics are under
there. Just copy and paste like you would normally with any file on the hard
disk or floppy.
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 12:03:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

.... and just as you are doing something, the camera batteries run out and
you risk corrupting some files...

No, no, no. By far the best thing to do is to get a card reader.

The only good software that comes free with a camera that I have come across
has been Camedia which comes with Olympus Cameras. Best Slideview
software that I have come across. Just arrange your photos in folders and
then slideview the entire content of a folder (or folder plus subfolders)
using Camedia. No need to create special stupid "Albums" before viewing your
photos.

I recently bought a second card reader solely and purely for its sleek
sculptured lines. Best piece of sculpture that I have come across over the
past few years. Just couldn't resist buying it.

And while at it get a decent photographic software such as JASC Photo Shop
Pro to edit your photos. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
--
choro-nik
********
"Interrogative" <If@you.dont.ask.nicely.no> wrote in message
news:eOK%23z5tuEHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>
> "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:cljmnv$o57$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
>>
>> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
>> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
>> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
>>
>> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
>> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
>>
>
> You can normally go to My Computer once the USB digital camera is attached
> and it is there as a camera or removable drive on that menu. Double click
> on that new icon then you normally see "DCIM" folder and your pics are
> under there. Just copy and paste like you would normally with any file on
> the hard disk or floppy.
>
>
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 11:53:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"choro-nik" <choro-nik@tvcom.net> wrote in message
news:jJgfd.46588$i02.31679@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> ... and just as you are doing something, the camera batteries run out and
> you risk corrupting some files...

Total and unadulterated ROT! If you are copying FROM the card, that can NOT
possibly happen.

>
> No, no, no. By far the best thing to do is to get a card reader.

.....sure and risk stuffing not only the pics by removing/inserting but also
the memory card itself. GREAT ADVICE!

The way I said has no risk to either pics or memory card. The way you said
is a definite risk to both.
!