Transfer pics from camera to pc?

Having difficulty..any help appreciated.

Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
cannot detect the scanner or camera.

I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.

Any thoughts,

Thanks,
John
11 answers Last reply
More about transfer pics camera

    Several things to try, perhaps all of them... Question; do you have a 3rd
    party photo viewer such as ACDsee or (free) Irfan Viewer? Sometimes the
    stuff that comes with XP is enough, sometimes it is good to have a more
    'featured' application... First, if you only have what came with XP, go to
    your 'InstallNew Hardware' and se if your camera is listed.. There is a long
    list and that may help XP in identifying yours.
    Secondly you will be better served if you do have a 3rd party application
    since there is usually an 'aquire' feature in the software which will help
    you go thru your camera folder and 'find' the pictures you want to load onto
    the PC. You can download Irfan Viewer I mentioned free and it has everything
    you could want to handle those pictures.. There are other softwares that
    would do only the simple task you need to do, but 'free' and 'small' are the
    keywords here..
    "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
    >
    > Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
    > pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
    > cannot detect the scanner or camera.
    >
    > I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    > Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
    >
    > Any thoughts,
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
    >
    >Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
    >pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
    >cannot detect the scanner or camera.
    >
    >I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    >Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
    >
    >Any thoughts,
    >
    >Thanks,
    >John

    What make and model of camera?

    Does the software that came with the camera work properly for
    transferring pictures?

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    I had a similar problem, and found that instead of tinkering with the
    camera's software or other applications, simply investing in a low cost card
    reader that plugs into a USB port was the best solution. Just plug it in to
    an XP computer, and the computer sees it as a disk drive. The beauty of this
    is that you can move files in and out of your computer very quickly, open
    them in any program you want, and delete some or all files from the cards
    very quickly. There's nothing to new to learn, since the card looks just
    like another drive in Explorer. The only thing special that you have to do,
    is to tell the computer to drop the "drive" before you physically unplug it.
    That takes about 2 seconds.

    Card readers are widely available for under $20 in models that will accept
    most popular digital memory cards. I needed one that accepted the new
    Olympus/Fuji xD card, and it cost only $29.95 at Crucial.com.

    Orrie

    Orrie

    John Smith wrote:

    > Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
    >
    > Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
    > pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
    > cannot detect the scanner or camera.
    >
    > I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    > Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
    >
    > Any thoughts,
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    does the camera not show as an extra drive? That's how mine comes up
    and I just cut and paste the files
    --
    Paul (I read bad poetry Into your machine)
    Stop and Look

    Thank you for the comments.

    As previously mentioned I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using
    Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from
    Camera...so its not a great problem...just wondered why and how to sort out.

    Also tried Start/My Computer/click the camera icon under Scanners
    and Cameras/Get Pictures from Camera I get message that the computer cannot
    detect the scanner or camera.

    Also in Microsoft Word...and attempting Insert/Picture/From Camera or
    Scanner/Highlight Camera device/click Custom Insert - get An error occurred
    whilst acquiring the image.

    Thanks for the pointer to Irfan Viewer..I'll have a look at that.

    John

    "Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Several things to try, perhaps all of them... Question; do you have a 3rd
    > party photo viewer such as ACDsee or (free) Irfan Viewer? Sometimes the
    > stuff that comes with XP is enough, sometimes it is good to have a more
    > 'featured' application... First, if you only have what came with XP, go to
    > your 'InstallNew Hardware' and se if your camera is listed.. There is a
    > long
    > list and that may help XP in identifying yours.
    > Secondly you will be better served if you do have a 3rd party
    > application
    > since there is usually an 'aquire' feature in the software which will help
    > you go thru your camera folder and 'find' the pictures you want to load
    > onto
    > the PC. You can download Irfan Viewer I mentioned free and it has
    > everything
    > you could want to handle those pictures.. There are other softwares that
    > would do only the simple task you need to do, but 'free' and 'small' are
    > the
    > keywords here..
    > "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
    >>
    >> Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
    >> pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
    >> cannot detect the scanner or camera.
    >>
    >> I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    >> Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts,
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> John

    Its an Olympus C5050
    Ref the software that came with the camera - I'll have to check on that.

    > "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
    >>
    >>Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
    >>pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
    >>cannot detect the scanner or camera.
    >>
    >>I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    >>Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts,
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>John
    >>

    > What make and model of camera?
    >
    > Does the software that came with the camera work properly for
    > transferring pictures?
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    Yes it shows as an extra drive...but don't seem to be able to view the pics
    via this route for some reason.

    John Smith wrote:

    > Yes it shows as an extra drive...but don't seem to be able to view the pics
    > via this route for some reason.

    What sort of camera? I think i heard of Kodak having a similar problem
    --
    Paul (I read bad poetry Into your machine)
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    "John Smith" <OrmesbyJohn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Having difficulty..any help appreciated.
    >
    > Trying to transfer digipics from camera to pc via Start/My Pictures/Get
    > pictures from Camera or Scanner ...but then get message that the computer
    > cannot detect the scanner or camera.
    >
    > I CAN transfer pics from camera to pc using Microsoft Scanner and Camera
    > Wizard...but not via My Pictures/Get pics from Camera.

    You can normally go to My Computer once the USB digital camera is attached
    and it is there as a camera or removable drive on that menu. Double click on
    that new icon then you normally see "DCIM" folder and your pics are under
    there. Just copy and paste like you would normally with any file on the hard
    disk or floppy.

    .... and just as you are doing something, the camera batteries run out and
    you risk corrupting some files...

    No, no, no. By far the best thing to do is to get a card reader.

    The only good software that comes free with a camera that I have come across
    has been Camedia which comes with Olympus Cameras. Best Slideview
    software that I have come across. Just arrange your photos in folders and
    then slideview the entire content of a folder (or folder plus subfolders)
    using Camedia. No need to create special stupid "Albums" before viewing your
    photos.

    I recently bought a second card reader solely and purely for its sleek
    sculptured lines. Best piece of sculpture that I have come across over the
    past few years. Just couldn't resist buying it.

    And while at it get a decent photographic software such as JASC Photo Shop
    Pro to edit your photos. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!
    --
    choro-nik
    ********

    "choro-nik" <choro-nik@tvcom.net> wrote in message
    > ... and just as you are doing something, the camera batteries run out and
    > you risk corrupting some files...

    Total and unadulterated ROT! If you are copying FROM the card, that can NOT
    possibly happen.

    > No, no, no. By far the best thing to do is to get a card reader.

    .....sure and risk stuffing not only the pics by removing/inserting but also
    the memory card itself. GREAT ADVICE!

    The way I said has no risk to either pics or memory card. The way you said
    is a definite risk to both.

Cameras Scanners Microsoft Windows XP