Problems with Printing with Multiple Parallel Ports

Jim

Recently, we upgraded to a new XP workstation. The workstation is connected
to 3 local printers (production printing) and various network printers
(reports). In order to connect to the 3 printers, 2 parallel cards were
installed on the PC. After the cards were installed, the ports detected the
attached printer and installed the appropriate driver (LPT1, LPT2 and LPT3).
However, whenever the printer is rebooted, LPT3 does not print to the
connected printer, but instead prints to the network printer (shared printer,
LPT1). The printer names are LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 (local) and DP1 (network).
What could be causing this problem and what steps need to be taken to fix
this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jim Davidson

First, what type of parallel cards were added? ISA or PCI?

"Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently, we upgraded to a new XP workstation. The workstation is
> connected
> to 3 local printers (production printing) and various network printers
> (reports). In order to connect to the 3 printers, 2 parallel cards were
> installed on the PC. After the cards were installed, the ports detected
> the
> attached printer and installed the appropriate driver (LPT1, LPT2 and
> LPT3).
> However, whenever the printer is rebooted, LPT3 does not print to the
> connected printer, but instead prints to the network printer (shared
> printer,
> LPT1). The printer names are LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 (local) and DP1 (network).
> What could be causing this problem and what steps need to be taken to fix
> this problem?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
> Jim Davidson

Jim

They are both PCI cards. Any ideas?

Thank you,
Jim Davdison

"Yves Leclerc" wrote:

> First, what type of parallel cards were added? ISA or PCI?
>

> "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently, we upgraded to a new XP workstation. The workstation is
> > connected
> > to 3 local printers (production printing) and various network printers
> > (reports). In order to connect to the 3 printers, 2 parallel cards were
> > installed on the PC. After the cards were installed, the ports detected
> > the
> > attached printer and installed the appropriate driver (LPT1, LPT2 and
> > LPT3).
> > However, whenever the printer is rebooted, LPT3 does not print to the
> > connected printer, but instead prints to the network printer (shared
> > printer,
> > LPT1). The printer names are LPT1, LPT2, LPT3 (local) and DP1 (network).
> > What could be causing this problem and what steps need to be taken to fix
> > this problem?
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Jim Davidson

At a command prompt try

NET USE

and see if LPT3 is redirected.

If it has then

NET USE LPT3 /delete

will fix the imediate problem but you will need to determine if it
returns where the mapping is being done.