Last response: in Windows 7
February 3, 2011 1:41:35 PM

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 7738G, with the following specs:
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz
RAM: 4 GB DDR3
VGA: NVIDIA GeForce GT130M
Display resolution: 1600x900

The problem is that windows randomly freezes and it stays like this and I have to turn off the computer to get it working again. I'm sure that the NVIDIA VGA drivers are to blame, because Windows doesn't freeze in Safe Mode or with the default Windows drivers (Standard VGA Graphics Adapter). I tried the NVIDIA drivers from Windows Update, the ones from Acer website and the latest ones from NVIDIA website (Forceware 266.58). None of them solved the problem.

So I'm forced to stay with the default drivers. Unfortunately, the highest 16:9 display resolution for these drivers id 1280x720. Can I hack these drivers and add the 1600x900 resolution? I'm using this laptop just for work (programming) so I don't need performance drivers, I need something that just works.

Thanks.
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 3, 2011 6:38:05 PM

For laptops, your best bet is to use the manufacturers drivers. http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=..., select your OS from the drop-down list, is thiat where you got yoru drivers?

You can't change the default Windows drivers resolution.

Have you tried to fully uninstall the drivers, remove the adapter from device manager and install fresh? Your issue may be not with the drivers but with the video card crashing due to heat or a defect. Has this happened from when you got the laptop or something new? If the laptop is under warranty you may want to look into getting it replaced or repaired.
m
l

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a c 209 $ Windows 7
February 3, 2011 6:59:01 PM

You can't just "hack" the driver because every display adapter has its own way of implementing the memory map and control registers for various screen resolutions. It's not just a matter of plugging numbers into the driver, you also need the associated code to handle the resolution for the device in question.
Related resources
February 4, 2011 6:08:32 AM

Thanks all for the replies!

hang-the-9: I tried different driver versions, including that one from their website. Unfortunately it didn't work. I also reinstalled windows several times, every time installing a different driver version. It may be the card overheating, but as I said, it works in Safe Mode and with the default windows driver.

sminlal: I'm sorry to hear that. So this means that I'm forced to stick with this display resolution.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
a c 371 $ Windows 7
February 4, 2011 12:39:38 PM

The card won't overheat in safe mode because it's not really doing anything. And defects in other areas also won't show up because in Safe Mode, 3D rendering is not done. If the laptop is in warranty, get it fixed, if not, you may want to look into a repair for the card as SafeMode is pretty useless for many tasks, especially if you plan on using the laptop for a while.
m
l
February 4, 2011 12:42:53 PM

Best answer selected by Horhe.
m
l
February 16, 2011 6:15:07 PM

install nvidia drivers... go to dxdiag and disable hardware aceleration
m
l
February 17, 2011 6:58:54 AM

xanxaz said: