USB external Hard Drive

bill

Hi, Can anyone please explain to me why my USB 2.0 30GB external hard drive
all of a sudden is not being recongized by my Laptop. It used to work fine,
even under USB 1.1 as that is what my laptop uses. I've tried using the HD on
other USB 2.0 machine and it works fine.

The error message I get is a time out. The Hard Drive has a red light to say
'Not Online' and a Green light to say 'active' and ready.

Regards,
Bill

Bill, try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device
Manager>USB Controllers. rt click on each one and
chose uninstall. Make sure that none of your USB Devices are connected.
Then restart and let XP reinstall them. Reconnect
the hard drive.
"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Can anyone please explain to me why my USB 2.0 30GB external hard
> drive
> all of a sudden is not being recongized by my Laptop. It used to work
> fine,
> even under USB 1.1 as that is what my laptop uses. I've tried using the HD
> on
> other USB 2.0 machine and it works fine.
>
> The error message I get is a time out. The Hard Drive has a red light to
> say
> 'Not Online' and a Green light to say 'active' and ready.
>
> Regards,
> Bill

Another thing to try is to plug it into a different USB port on the
computer. Does it work? Does another USB device in the port work? USB
ports are not the most user friendly. If you bump the device plugged into
the port it may damage the port fairly easily.