dvd burner burns at very slow speed

BobMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

I installed an 8x DVD burner from Micro Advantage. After I installed the
burner, it burned at top speed, but after a while, it started burning at
about 1x. Micro Advantage support told me to set the Transfer Mode to "DMA
if available", which I did. They also told me to set the Current Transfer
Mode to Ultra DMA. The problem I am having is that I cannot change the
current transfer mode. It's set at PIO Mode and I am not able to change this
setting. How do I get that changed to Ultra DMA?
thanks,Bob

Try updating your chipset (motherboard) drivers to fix the DMA Mode.
These drivers control your IDE devices and should hopefully allow the
drive to run in DMA Mode. As for Ultra DMA, I did not know that DVD
Burners could even run at that, the hard drive can, but I'm not too sure
about the DVD Burner.

The other thing you can try is uninstalling the DVD Burner from Device
Manager (Start-Run-devmgmt.msc) and reboot allowing Windows to reinstall
the drive.

-----
Nathan McNulty

bobman wrote:
> I installed an 8x DVD burner from Micro Advantage. After I installed the
> burner, it burned at top speed, but after a while, it started burning at
> about 1x. Micro Advantage support told me to set the Transfer Mode to "DMA
> if available", which I did. They also told me to set the Current Transfer
> Mode to Ultra DMA. The problem I am having is that I cannot change the
> current transfer mode. It's set at PIO Mode and I am not able to change this
> setting. How do I get that changed to Ultra DMA?
> thanks,Bob

Please note: The newer Intel Chipset drivers do not contain the UltraDMA
drivers. You need to install the Intel Application Accelerator software for
that!

Also:
1) make sure that the DVD burner is using an UltraDMA 80wire/40pin IDE
cable.
2) Only have the DVD burner connected to the IDE cable. If some other
drive is also connected to the same cable then you may get PIO mode.

Y.