secure wireless connection

Can someone tell me how to secure my unsecured wireless
connection? I have a laptop connected to a router, which
is connected to a cable connection.

do I do something to the router first? HELP!
THank you!
3 answers Last reply
More about secure wireless connection

    "DL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone tell me how to secure my unsecured wireless
    > connection? I have a laptop connected to a router, which
    > is connected to a cable connection.
    >
    > do I do something to the router first? HELP!
    > THank you!

    These are the four things you should do out of the box:

    1) Change the SSID (Service Set ID) - Most routers use a default ID that
    every hacker in the world knows.

    2) Disable the Broadcast ID - This "hides" your wireless network, but
    doesn't truly secure it.

    3) Utilize WEP or, if compatible with all your devices (WinXP supports it
    with SP2 or the WPA patch), WPA. With either method, use as strong a key as
    possible (you don't have to remember it, so make it long and filled with
    random characters.) - WEP and WPA encrypt your wireless traffic and make it
    much more difficult to hack your system. WPA is stronger and better than
    WEP, but not all devices are compatible with it.

    4) Change the router's administration password - Again, every hacker in the
    world knows the default password.

    To learn how to do this with your particular router, consult your manual.
    All are fairly easy to do. None make your wireless network completely
    secure, but all four together make it to the "good enough" category for most
    users. Also, you should change your SSID and key occasionally (say, every
    couple of months or even more frequently.)

    There are some more steps you can take to "lock it down" even more. Go to
    the link below for info:

    Also, here's a link to an online key generator:

    http://www.andrewscompanies.com/tools/wep.asp

    See if my current column
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx
    helps you..

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:29:54 -0800, "DL"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > See if my current column
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/bowman_05february10.mspx
    > helps you..

    Ah, sorry, Barb. Oversight on my part for not having included a link to
    your article. No offense intended.

Wireless Routers Connection Wireless Networking