New motherboard -- Problem with XP Repair - keeps rebooting

Hi all,

I don't know what to do next!!! I have a computer from ChiliGreen
(Austrian company) and have a XP Home edition Retail (not
pre-installed). Everything was working perfectly until my mainboard
broke!!! Had to send the PC for reparation and got a new mainboard.
The technician told me to do the XP-repair, which I did, but it is not
working... see below.

Had a MSI VIA K8T800 and have now a K8 Triton series (GA-K8NS Pro). I
have a AMD 64 3200+ processor. Since I have been working about 6
months on this PC, I have alot of data that I do not want to loose,
and stupid as I was/am, I have no back-up...

My problem is: I made the repair from the Windows CD. The system is
reinstalling and so on and so on, everything seems good but then, the
PC reboots. I do not do or touch anything and it should theoretically
come to XP.... but no, after this page "new session of XP, or old
functioning version of XP" and so on... count down.... and it
reboots... and again after a while, same page and reboot again...over
and over again. I do not want to re-install XP since then I will loose
all my data...

Please somebody help!!!!! If you need more information on my system I
will send them... I am desperate and do not want to loose my data.

Sincerely, Joachim.
5 answers Last reply
More about motherboard problem repair rebooting

    Not sure from your posting what steps you followed. This is the right way to
    do it, follow them and if you still have issues or problems reply back to
    this message thread.

    Repair Install to SET XP to New Motherboard
    1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or Hard Drive
    change! If booting from CD is not an option, return to BIOS and make sure
    booting from CD is the first boot option.
    2.If your computer does not support booting from the CD, check your OEM or
    Motherboard makers web site for updated BIOS.
    3.Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.

    When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on
    your computer:

    To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

    To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

    To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

    Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
    installations.

    Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
    start the repair.

    Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
    press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
    as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
    remain intact.

    "Joachim" wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I don't know what to do next!!! I have a computer from ChiliGreen
    > (Austrian company) and have a XP Home edition Retail (not
    > pre-installed). Everything was working perfectly until my mainboard
    > broke!!! Had to send the PC for reparation and got a new mainboard.
    > The technician told me to do the XP-repair, which I did, but it is not
    > working... see below.
    >
    > Had a MSI VIA K8T800 and have now a K8 Triton series (GA-K8NS Pro). I
    > have a AMD 64 3200+ processor. Since I have been working about 6
    > months on this PC, I have alot of data that I do not want to loose,
    > and stupid as I was/am, I have no back-up...
    >
    > My problem is: I made the repair from the Windows CD. The system is
    > reinstalling and so on and so on, everything seems good but then, the
    > PC reboots. I do not do or touch anything and it should theoretically
    > come to XP.... but no, after this page "new session of XP, or old
    > functioning version of XP" and so on... count down.... and it
    > reboots... and again after a while, same page and reboot again...over
    > and over again. I do not want to re-install XP since then I will loose
    > all my data...
    >
    > Please somebody help!!!!! If you need more information on my system I
    > will send them... I am desperate and do not want to loose my data.
    >
    > Sincerely, Joachim.

    Hi BAR,

    Thank you for the help but it is exactly what I did... :-(

    and still after doing the repair/"clean install" it reboots...
    normally it should end the installation or come up with Win XP... but
    no. I come to a page saying that I should choose a safe version of XP,
    the last known functioning XP version, or a new XP session (or
    something like that, 2 or 3 other choices more...) and if I choose
    nothing it goes to a new XP session - or should since it reboots --
    again! If I choose the other choices, it tries to load a version and
    then... reboots.

    If you have any tip that would help...

    But honestly, I think I have a big problem... and I think I will have
    to reinstall XP from scratch but if somebody knows a tip or anything
    so I can save my data?! I will try to use a "Linux LiveCD" and try to
    move my data to another partition... hopefully it will work.

    Thank you all for the good tips.

    _Joachim_

    BAR <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<AB932A6A-BF8E-48C8-A942-D8D970F38516@microsoft.com>...
    > Not sure from your posting what steps you followed. This is the right way to
    > do it, follow them and if you still have issues or problems reply back to
    > this message thread.
    >
    > Repair Install to SET XP to New Motherboard
    > 1.Do Not BOOT into Windows XP on first boot after Motherboard or Hard Drive
    > change! If booting from CD is not an option, return to BIOS and make sure
    > booting from CD is the first boot option.
    > 2.If your computer does not support booting from the CD, check your OEM or
    > Motherboard makers web site for updated BIOS.
    > 3.Perform a Repair Install by following the step by step below.
    >
    > When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    > This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on
    > your computer:
    >
    > To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    >
    > To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    >
    > To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    >
    > Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
    >
    > Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows
    > installations.
    >
    > Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to
    > start the repair.
    >
    > Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not
    > press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue
    > as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will
    > remain intact.
    >

    > "Joachim" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I don't know what to do next!!! I have a computer from ChiliGreen
    > > (Austrian company) and have a XP Home edition Retail (not
    > > pre-installed). Everything was working perfectly until my mainboard
    > > broke!!! Had to send the PC for reparation and got a new mainboard.
    > > The technician told me to do the XP-repair, which I did, but it is not
    > > working... see below.
    > >
    > > Had a MSI VIA K8T800 and have now a K8 Triton series (GA-K8NS Pro). I
    > > have a AMD 64 3200+ processor. Since I have been working about 6
    > > months on this PC, I have alot of data that I do not want to loose,
    > > and stupid as I was/am, I have no back-up...
    > >
    > > My problem is: I made the repair from the Windows CD. The system is
    > > reinstalling and so on and so on, everything seems good but then, the
    > > PC reboots. I do not do or touch anything and it should theoretically
    > > come to XP.... but no, after this page "new session of XP, or old
    > > functioning version of XP" and so on... count down.... and it
    > > reboots... and again after a while, same page and reboot again...over
    > > and over again. I do not want to re-install XP since then I will loose
    > > all my data...
    > >
    > > Please somebody help!!!!! If you need more information on my system I
    > > will send them... I am desperate and do not want to loose my data.
    > >
    > > Sincerely, Joachim.

    Did you take the CD out of the drive after it was finished
    with the repair install?

    "Joachim" <jdayteg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    | > > and stupid as I was/am, I have no back-up...
    | > >
    | > > My problem is: I made the repair from the Windows CD.
    The system is
    | > > reinstalling and so on and so on, everything seems
    good but then, the
    | > > PC reboots. I do not do or touch anything and it
    should theoretically
    | > > come to XP.... but no, after this page "new session of
    XP, or old
    | > > functioning version of XP" and so on... count down....
    and it
    | > > reboots... and again after a while, same page and
    reboot again...over
    | > > and over again. I do not want to re-install XP since
    then I will loose
    | > > all my data...
    | > >
    | > > Please somebody help!!!!! If you need more information
    on my system I
    | > > will send them... I am desperate and do not want to

    I am not sure why the repair is failing. But, as for saving your data,
    consider mounting the hard drive in another PC that already runs XP.
    Whether the format is FAT32 or NTFS, that other PC should be able to see the
    data. If you get an error about not "owning" the files, log in as the PC
    administrator and take ownership of the files. In any case, once the files
    are accesible, copy them to a CD or DVD, using standard write-once format
    (not UDF, DLA, nor InCD), and be sure to "close" or "finalize" the optical
    media.

    You might be able to access the data, without removing the hard drive, by
    using any one of several rescue CDs, such as KNOPPIX version 3.6, Trinity
    Rescue, or Bart's PE builder 30.32. You will need to burn these on a
    working PC, then use the CD to boot the PC into a non-XP operating system.
    Once the data is accessed, the easiest thing to do would be to copy it to an
    external USB hard drive. KNOPPIX might support burning a CD directly, but I
    have not explored all of its features.

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I don't know what to do next!!! I have a computer from ChiliGreen
    > (Austrian company) and have a XP Home edition Retail (not
    > pre-installed). Everything was working perfectly until my mainboard
    > broke!!! Had to send the PC for reparation and got a new mainboard.
    > The technician told me to do the XP-repair, which I did, but it is not
    > working... see below.
    >
    > Had a MSI VIA K8T800 and have now a K8 Triton series (GA-K8NS Pro). I
    > have a AMD 64 3200+ processor. Since I have been working about 6
    > months on this PC, I have alot of data that I do not want to loose,
    > and stupid as I was/am, I have no back-up...
    >
    > My problem is: I made the repair from the Windows CD. The system is
    > reinstalling and so on and so on, everything seems good but then, the
    > PC reboots. I do not do or touch anything and it should theoretically
    > come to XP.... but no, after this page "new session of XP, or old
    > functioning version of XP" and so on... count down.... and it
    > reboots... and again after a while, same page and reboot again...over
    > and over again. I do not want to re-install XP since then I will loose
    > all my data...
    >
    > Please somebody help!!!!! If you need more information on my system I
    > will send them... I am desperate and do not want to loose my data.
    >
    > Sincerely, Joachim.

    Well Bob,

    I have to thank you from deep down in my heart ;-) for your tip on
    KNOPPIX. It worked PERFECTLY!!!, accessed without problem my HD, could
    not read the data though... as you sais NTFS compatibility problems
    but I burned all my data on a DVD (2 actually..)
    If you ever need to help somebody else, you can regive this tip!!!
    PERFECT! I found on the Internet a good help page on how to use
    Knoppix in case of such an emergency and how to activate the burning
    device and so on, very informative, good and easy to use, with
    pictures and so:

    http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

    Very good!!

    Had to reinstalled everything thoug: XP, service Pack 2, and ALL my
    programs... well it was a good opportunity to make a big clean up ;-)
    I still don't know why the XP Repair did not work but at least my data
    are safe.

    Well, thanks again!!!

    Joachim

    "Bob Harris" <rharris270[SPAM]@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<uV1yAbIvEHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>...
    > I am not sure why the repair is failing. But, as for saving your data,
    > consider mounting the hard drive in another PC that already runs XP.
    > Whether the format is FAT32 or NTFS, that other PC should be able to see the
    > data. If you get an error about not "owning" the files, log in as the PC
    > administrator and take ownership of the files. In any case, once the files
    > are accesible, copy them to a CD or DVD, using standard write-once format
    > (not UDF, DLA, nor InCD), and be sure to "close" or "finalize" the optical
    > media.
    >
    > You might be able to access the data, without removing the hard drive, by
    > using any one of several rescue CDs, such as KNOPPIX version 3.6, Trinity
    > Rescue, or Bart's PE builder 30.32. You will need to burn these on a
    > working PC, then use the CD to boot the PC into a non-XP operating system.
    > Once the data is accessed, the easiest thing to do would be to copy it to an
    > external USB hard drive. KNOPPIX might support burning a CD directly, but I
    > have not explored all of its features.
    >
    > "Joachim" <jdayteg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I don't know what to do next!!! I have a computer from ChiliGreen
    > > (Austrian company) and have a XP Home edition Retail (not
    > > pre-installed). Everything was working perfectly until my mainboard
    > > broke!!! Had to send the PC for reparation and got a new mainboard.
    > > The technician told me to do the XP-repair, which I did, but it is not
    > > working... see below.
    > >
    > > Had a MSI VIA K8T800 and have now a K8 Triton series (GA-K8NS Pro). I
    > > have a AMD 64 3200+ processor. Since I have been working about 6
    > > months on this PC, I have alot of data that I do not want to loose,
    > > and stupid as I was/am, I have no back-up...
    > >
    > > My problem is: I made the repair from the Windows CD. The system is
    > > reinstalling and so on and so on, everything seems good but then, the
    > > PC reboots. I do not do or touch anything and it should theoretically
    > > come to XP.... but no, after this page "new session of XP, or old
    > > functioning version of XP" and so on... count down.... and it
    > > reboots... and again after a while, same page and reboot again...over
    > > and over again. I do not want to re-install XP since then I will loose
    > > all my data...
    > >
    > > Please somebody help!!!!! If you need more information on my system I
    > > will send them... I am desperate and do not want to loose my data.
    > >
    > > Sincerely, Joachim.

Motherboards Windows XP