USB Floppy Disc Drive - no driver needed

Does anyone know of a FDD that XP Pro will recognize WITHOUT installing a
driver? i.e. plug it in and it knows, like my USB HDD...
Bought a Samsung today that said "plug and Play" on the box, but it wouldn't
work until I installed the software on the CD.
Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about floppy disc drive driver needed

    "operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of a FDD that XP Pro will recognize WITHOUT
    > installing a
    > driver? i.e. plug it in and it knows, like my USB HDD...
    > Bought a Samsung today that said "plug and Play" on the box, but it
    > wouldn't
    > work until I installed the software on the CD.
    > Thanks

    I have a Sony USB Floppy Drive. I just plugged it in and windows XP
    started its drill about new hardware found. Shows up and works fine.
    My BIOS also picks up USB Storage Device : USB Floppy Drive.
    I865PE chipset.
    My driver disk just has drivers for W98 and W2K. WXP drivers are
    native.

    Do you know if Windows XP Pro set up would detect your SOny?
    I am trying to recover from disaster using my ASR back up, and when I start
    the process, I get "Windows set up does not detect a floppy drive..." even
    though my Samsung is connected. I did have to install a driver to get it to
    recognize the FDD, though...
    I am getting desparate to get my back up data!!

    "Frank" wrote:

    > "operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know of a FDD that XP Pro will recognize WITHOUT
    > > installing a
    > > driver? i.e. plug it in and it knows, like my USB HDD...
    > > Bought a Samsung today that said "plug and Play" on the box, but it
    > > wouldn't
    > > work until I installed the software on the CD.
    > > Thanks
    >
    > I have a Sony USB Floppy Drive. I just plugged it in and windows XP
    > started its drill about new hardware found. Shows up and works fine.
    > My BIOS also picks up USB Storage Device : USB Floppy Drive.
    > I865PE chipset.
    > My driver disk just has drivers for W98 and W2K. WXP drivers are
    > native.

    In order for XP to see a USB floppy drive during boot-up (and before loading
    the USB drivers) is to make use that the computer's motherboard BIOS has USB
    floppy support and /or Legacy USB support. This should instruct XP to
    detect the floppy drive during boot up.

    > Do you know if Windows XP Pro set up would detect your SOny?
    > I am trying to recover from disaster using my ASR back up, and when I
    > start
    > the process, I get "Windows set up does not detect a floppy drive..." even
    > though my Samsung is connected. I did have to install a driver to get it
    > recognize the FDD, though...
    > I am getting desparate to get my back up data!!
    >

    > "Frank" wrote:
    >

    >> "operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Does anyone know of a FDD that XP Pro will recognize WITHOUT
    >> > installing a
    >> > driver? i.e. plug it in and it knows, like my USB HDD...
    >> > Bought a Samsung today that said "plug and Play" on the box, but it
    >> > wouldn't
    >> > work until I installed the software on the CD.
    >> > Thanks
    >>
    >> I have a Sony USB Floppy Drive. I just plugged it in and windows XP
    >> started its drill about new hardware found. Shows up and works fine.
    >> My BIOS also picks up USB Storage Device : USB Floppy Drive.
    >> I865PE chipset.
    >> My driver disk just has drivers for W98 and W2K. WXP drivers are
    >> native.

    Seems that my BIOS DOES detect the floppy, it's just that Windows Set Up
    does not. (???)
    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > In order for XP to see a USB floppy drive during boot-up (and before loading
    > the USB drivers) is to make use that the computer's motherboard BIOS has USB
    > floppy support and /or Legacy USB support. This should instruct XP to
    > detect the floppy drive during boot up.
    >

    > "operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Do you know if Windows XP Pro set up would detect your SOny?
    > > I am trying to recover from disaster using my ASR back up, and when I
    > > start
    > > the process, I get "Windows set up does not detect a floppy drive..." even
    > > though my Samsung is connected. I did have to install a driver to get it
    > > recognize the FDD, though...
    > > I am getting desparate to get my back up data!!
    > >

    > > "Frank" wrote:
    > >

    > >> "operaflute" <operaflute@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I have a Sony USB Floppy Drive. I just plugged it in and windows XP
    > >> started its drill about new hardware found. Shows up and works fine.
    > >> My BIOS also picks up USB Storage Device : USB Floppy Drive.
    > >> I865PE chipset.
    > >> My driver disk just has drivers for W98 and W2K. WXP drivers are
    > >> native.

Floppy Disk USB Windows XP