GA-K8VT800 memory problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Have a GA-K8VT800 motherboard, with athlon 64 bit 3200 I've been having
memory problems with
the board since I got it I had 2 512 meg DDR 400 from a previous system that
worked perfect before putting in this system whilst messing around setting
bios I noticed memory speed was on auto defaulting to 166 MHz so I set it
manually to 200 MHz as it should be and my system froze and refuses to
reboot I have to clear the cmos and it then reboots defaulting to 166 again
I returned the memory to suppliers who happily changed it despite it testing
perfectly due to possible compatibility problems again the same problem we
have tried 3 other makes of memory as matched pairs to no avail the system
runs perfectly except that it wont run at 200 MHz memory set manually and if
on auto I assume set by the spd chip it only runs at 166 mhz despite the
same memory running in another system at 200+MHz the cmos doesn't have a
cmos clear jumper so I remove the battery and mains lead for upwards of an
hour sometimes and this still does not always clear the cmos ....any help or
suggestions please or other things I should do such as manually set the
timings as well etc if so whats the suggested settings for good quality
generic ram as opposed to corsair or mushkin

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

DDR 400 specifications state that 2 dual sided ram sticks are to run at
166mhz gigabute is simply following the specs.
Plus the intergrated memory controller is more fussy with ram settings.