dvd/cdrw drive won't read cds but will read dvds

A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?
4 answers Last reply
More about cdrw drive read read dvds

    Try:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Tnogood wrote:
    > A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
    > out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
    > was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
    > doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
    > dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
    > and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?

    No that didn't work. does anyone else have anything else. Someone told me
    that it is a possibility that the cd reading laser might have something wrong
    with it but the dvds use a different laser so that still works. Could that be
    the problem?

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > Try:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Tnogood wrote:
    > > A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
    > > out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
    > > was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
    > > doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
    > > dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
    > > and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?

    It could be. And that statement is true. You can try a laser cleaning
    kit if you want or take the drive in. I would try the drive in a
    different computer if possible before buying anything though ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    tnogood wrote:
    > No that didn't work. does anyone else have anything else. Someone told me
    > that it is a possibility that the cd reading laser might have something wrong
    > with it but the dvds use a different laser so that still works. Could that be
    > the problem?
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>Try:
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
    >>
    >>-----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>
    >>Tnogood wrote:
    >>
    >>>A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
    >>>out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
    >>>was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
    >>>doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
    >>>dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
    >>>and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?

    Thanks i will try that

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > It could be. And that statement is true. You can try a laser cleaning
    > kit if you want or take the drive in. I would try the drive in a
    > different computer if possible before buying anything though ;)
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > tnogood wrote:
    > > No that didn't work. does anyone else have anything else. Someone told me
    > > that it is a possibility that the cd reading laser might have something wrong
    > > with it but the dvds use a different laser so that still works. Could that be
    > > the problem?
    > >
    > > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Try:
    > >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641