MAME on PSP..is this feasable??

Just a speculative post to see if anyone thtinks MAME could be run from a
memory stick on to a PsP...

mannn that would be awsome :)

the niner nation wrote:
> Just a speculative post to see if anyone thtinks MAME could be run
> from a memory stick on to a PsP...

I'm sure it will be ported before too long
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in frenzy of gak
fuelled meyhem news:36mvvuF53qklbU1@individual.net:

> the niner nation wrote:
>> Just a speculative post to see if anyone thtinks MAME could be run
>> from a memory stick on to a PsP...
>>
> I'm sure it will be ported before too long

Shame itll run like the PS one versions of ported mame.

> Just a speculative post to see if anyone thtinks MAME could be run
> from a memory stick on to a PsP...

I think (may be I'm wrong) :
The memory stick is only here as an hard disc containing MP3, Video, ...
It is not here to launch 'n play extern programs.

ciao Tsunoo

"El Rossi" <mark.ross@removeallthisspam.tombstones.spamagain.org.uk> wrote
in message news:Xns95F5AC4A76FBDmarkrosstombstonesor@63.223.5.251...
> "Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in frenzy of gak
> fuelled meyhem news:36mvvuF53qklbU1@individual.net:
>
> > the niner nation wrote:
> >> Just a speculative post to see if anyone thtinks MAME could be run
> >> from a memory stick on to a PsP...
> >>
> > I'm sure it will be ported before too long
>
> Shame itll run like the PS one versions of ported mame.

was the PS version of mame not very good???

the niner nation wrote:
> "El Rossi" <mark.ross@removeallthisspam.tombstones.spamagain.org.uk>
> wrote in message
>> "Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote in frenzy of
>> gak fuelled meyhem news:36mvvuF53qklbU1@individual.net:

>>> I'm sure it will be ported before too long
>>
>> Shame itll run like the PS one versions of ported mame.
>>
> was the PS version of mame not very good???

Not really.
The main processor in a PS1 was only something like 33mhz , and as MAME
can't make use of all the fancy graphics chips it was dog slow.
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:34:03 -0000
"Dr Zoidberg" <AlexNOOOOO!!!!@drzoidberg.co.uk> wrote:

> >> Shame itll run like the PS one versions of ported mame.
> >>
> > was the PS version of mame not very good???
>
> Not really.
> The main processor in a PS1 was only something like 33mhz ,
> and as MAME can't make use of all the fancy graphics chips it
> was dog slow.--

So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version? The
PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds reasonable
enough to run the oldies!

-Chris D

Chris D thought about it a bit, then said...
> So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version? The
> PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds reasonable
> enough to run the oldies!

It's not that easy - you're emulating a different processor, graphics
processing subsystem, sound chip, and a whole bunch more.

Considering it generally takes a 1Ghz (1024Mhz) PC system to adequately
emulate roughly a 20Mhz arcade processor (give or take), it's no reason
the 33Mhz processor doesn't cut it.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

Chris D's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version? The
> PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds reasonable
> enough to run the oldies!

You're thinking if its a typical CPU. The hertz scale isnt an effective
way to compare processors. My CPU in this machine is a 1.8ghz AMD64,
however it outperforms a 2.8ghz P4, or an even higher rated Celeron. For
all we know, that processor is no more faster than what my Timex Sinclair
1000 has (which has a 3mhz Zilog processor)

Chris D <dicko-news@riverland.AAARRGNOMORESPAM.net.au> wrote in frenzy of
gak fuelled meyhem news:20050207093632.2e175811.dicko-
news@riverland.AAARRGNOMORESPAM.net.au:

>> > was the PS version of mame not very good???
>>
>> Not really.
>> The main processor in a PS1 was only something like 33mhz ,
>> and as MAME can't make use of all the fancy graphics chips it
>> was dog slow.--
>
> So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version? The
> PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds reasonable
> enough to run the oldies!
>
> -Chris D

Also.. There isnt any comilation tools 'freely' available for the PSP,
which menas that people cant compile the code anyway. & Im fairly certain
that the only one there is, will be part of the Sony SDK..
Which means it wont be available for homebrew games

SDKs get leaked all the time. =] I've got several.

El Rossi wrote:
> Chris D <dicko-news@riverland.AAARRGNOMORESPAM.net.au> wrote in frenzy of
> gak fuelled meyhem news:20050207093632.2e175811.dicko-
> news@riverland.AAARRGNOMORESPAM.net.au:

>>>Not really.
>>>The main processor in a PS1 was only something like 33mhz ,
>>>and as MAME can't make use of all the fancy graphics chips it
>>>was dog slow.--
>>
>>So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version? The
>>PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds reasonable
>>enough to run the oldies!
>>
>>-Chris D
>

> Also.. There isnt any comilation tools 'freely' available for the PSP,
> which menas that people cant compile the code anyway. & Im fairly certain
> that the only one there is, will be part of the Sony SDK..
> Which means it wont be available for homebrew games

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 18:54:31 -0500
Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

> Chris D thought about it a bit, then said...
> > So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version?
> > The PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds
> > reasonable enough to run the oldies!
>
> It's not that easy - you're emulating a different processor,
> graphics processing subsystem, sound chip, and a whole bunch
> more.
>
> Considering it generally takes a 1Ghz (1024Mhz) PC system to
> adequately emulate roughly a 20Mhz arcade processor (give or
> take), it's no reason the 33Mhz processor doesn't cut it.

Erm... I think we're on different wavelengths here... I know the
33 wont cut it - AFAIK, we were discussing the plausability of
MAME on the PSP, with a 333 processor, which sounds feasable....
Though I admit I'm no programmer...

-Chris D

Chris D thought about it a bit, then said...
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 18:54:31 -0500
> Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>
> > Chris D thought about it a bit, then said...
> > > So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version?
> > > The PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds
> > > reasonable enough to run the oldies!
> >
> > It's not that easy - you're emulating a different processor,
> > graphics processing subsystem, sound chip, and a whole bunch
> > more.
> >
> > Considering it generally takes a 1Ghz (1024Mhz) PC system to
> > adequately emulate roughly a 20Mhz arcade processor (give or
> > take), it's no reason the 33Mhz processor doesn't cut it.
>
> Erm... I think we're on different wavelengths here... I know the
> 33 wont cut it - AFAIK, we were discussing the plausability of
> MAME on the PSP, with a 333 processor, which sounds feasable....
> Though I admit I'm no programmer...
>
> -Chris D

Sorry for the typo - I didn't mean to type 33, but rather 333Mhz. Still
not enough "processor juice" for MAME on the PSP, IMHO.

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Chris D wrote in alt.games.mame:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 18:54:31 -0500
> Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

>> Chris D thought about it a bit, then said...
>> > So why will a PSP version of MAME run like the PS1 version?
>> > The PSP has a 333MHz processor doesn't it? That sounds
>> > reasonable enough to run the oldies!

>> It's not that easy - you're emulating a different processor,
>> graphics processing subsystem, sound chip, and a whole bunch
>> more.

>> Considering it generally takes a 1Ghz (1024Mhz) PC system to
>> adequately emulate roughly a 20Mhz arcade processor (give or
>> take), it's no reason the 33Mhz processor doesn't cut it.

> Erm... I think we're on different wavelengths here... I know the
> 33 wont cut it - AFAIK, we were discussing the plausability of
> MAME on the PSP, with a 333 processor, which sounds feasable....
> Though I admit I'm no programmer...

Well, its already quite limited on teh Xbox which is more than double
that. I am not a programmer either but it would seem like a lot of
effort with not much payback.

--
David
The decision doesn't have to be logical; it was unanimous.

"the niner nation" <dipakREMOVE49ers@andTHIShotmail.com> wrote :

> Just a speculative post to see if anyone thtinks MAME could be run from a
> memory stick on to a PsP...
>
> mannn that would be awsome :)

Hardware wise there should be no problem.. MAME runs fine (well, almost
since the sound is off) on my Nokia 6600..

It's so cool to have packman and frogger with me always.. ;^)

--
Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows,
how are you gonna guarantee my safety..

TRENDING THREADS